Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Naval ASW capability?

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Difference being that the Seasprite is/was a very capable anti submarine helo.We do not need that capability..
    Why? The NS hasn't had the capability to detect or engage a submarine for all time - the NS is part of the Defence Forces, it isn't a coastguard.

And when you detect a submarine, which is more than likely belonging to our neighbours from the other side of the Irish Sea, or the other side of the atlantic, or any of our EU partners, what would you do with it?

It isn't needed. Terrorists(for now) don't have subs.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What if it operating in fishing grounds, in Irish territorial waters, from a "rogue" state attempting to smuggle arms to terrorists, submerged in a SAR situation?

Comment

Which is it?

How do you know its smuggling arms?
        Not all fishing grounds are in irish territorial waters.
        What if you targetted the wrong sub?

Comment

Oh God no!,
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

My thoughts exactly. And it wasn't even Carrington..

Comment

A submarine in Irish waters could be one of the following. Should a naval service not have an anti-submarine capability?

I'm not saying it has to be a capability based on a helicopter!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                A submarine in Irish waters could be one of the following. Should a naval service not have an anti-submarine capability?

Well, the Casa's FITS upgrade, would I believe allow them to carry out ASW operations...of course if you want a hard kill capability you'd have to fit weapons stations, but thats been done on C235's before....:redface:
                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

mines

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  And when you detect a submarine, which is more than likely belonging to our neighbours from the other side of the Irish Sea, or the other side of the atlantic, or any of our EU partners, what would you do with it?

It isn't needed. Terrorists(for now) don't have subs.

No, but I'll bet they have mines... much simpler, cheaper, easier... and very effective.

Comment

What do mines have to do with ASW?

(Dev! See what you started?)

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      What do mines have to do with ASW?

(Dev! See what you started?)
                      Am presuming he meant depth charges

Although with guided ship launched torpedoes, are these fast becoming an
                      obsolete, crude weapon?
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Although with guided ship launched torpedoes, are these fast becoming an
                        obsolete, crude weapon?
                        No, he meant mines, as a more likely form of maritime terrorist threat than submarines.... (Okay, slightly tangential, but you can see how it relates..)

Originally posted by DeV View Post

Well if you want an alternative to helicopters.... According to the Americans, this is the best defence against underwater terrorists. We could buy a few from the U.S. Navy, have them patrolling Cork Harbour. Bord Fáilte would approve, and I'm sure the Green Party would love it...

Last edited by Goldie fish; 12 May 2007, 06:39.

Comment

No he meant mines - mines and terrorists are a nasty combination.
                          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Originally posted by Farel' View Post
                            No he meant mines - mines and terrorists are a nasty combination.
                            As in

"the nasty frogman swum up to the ship and stuck a limpet mine onto the hull..."

- those sort?
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I was on a ship visit to Eithne 2 years after she was commissioned ('86) and she had a fitted, operational sonar capable of detecting subs. Also, main and auxillary engines were fitted on rubber mounts for quieter running. An air mask was to be fitted to the props to limit prop noise but dropped because of budget overruns. No ASW wpns were fitted but provison was made for two mounts just for'd of the helideck hanger (where Rheinmetals are located now).
                              Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

Working...
                              X