Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.E. Eithne Question.

Hi guys,

can anybody confirm if her Helideck was/is rigged for carrying containers for Liberia? Im going back about 2 years ago here, and if she was/rigged for Containers etc is the rigging still on the Deck? Also why did the Heli operations stop?

A few of us are just trying to find out the truth about her deck.

Regards,

Fouga.

The Deck was fitted with a number of lashing points for containers/Mowags for a proposed Liberia run that never took place.

Heli ops were cancelled fora number of reasons , basically the helis were side tracked and there were never enough hours available to train with the naval service, also the great brain drain of qualified personel within the AC meant that shortagge of qualified crews was iminent so the whole heli at sea thing clollapsed.

there werer severla underlying issues that either party were never reall satisfied with, seviceability of Aircraft, availabilty of crews and the ability for the helo to deploy away from Baldonel for sustained periods of time. The helos were also tasked with SAR ops which were far more important than having a dedicated helo for FP.

Also having one machine on standby for MATs and there only being two helos available to the NS caused problems.

There was some concerns about fuel contamination for the helo inthe early days , never sure wheyher this was ever sorted out. basically it was just the wrong time andthe wrong set up..should have been a dedicated maritime unit with no AC or Army involvement but the concept of one type being ableto do all things was prevalent but was unrealistic.

Was never actually either branch of the services fault entirely..just the political masters had too much influenece in what the AC did and the powers that were running both services at the time didn't ever want to upset the apple cart..stemmed from weak leadership and not from any unwillingness of the NS..I can't speak for the AC side as I knew nobody there who commit to whether theyever felt it was a viable option. I know the techies etc who came along felt it to be a waste of time as they had very limited resources and man power at the time also.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Photo of helideck showing Container and vehicle hardpoints(the lashing points for the helis were already there, but containers (TEU) weight can be concentrated on the four corners, depending on the type of box in use.
      Attached Files

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

as a matter of interest, what is the hanger used for nowadays?

are there quarters, workspaces, etc. for AC detachments? if so, what are they used for?

and (without getting into hover-tank mode!!) could these spaces be converted to improve the capabilities of the ship? if so, what could they be used for?
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

The Air Corps officers quarters was converted to a Cadets study many years ago. The Airmans quarters were converted to Female ablutions, if I recall correctly.
          The hangar remains, and is a useful area for stores, it incorporates a small Gym at the forward end, and provides the crew with a useful training room, out of the elements. In port, the entrance is used as a QMs lobby.
          It is still available as a hangar of course, should a suitably sized aircraft find its way onto the ships helideck, which no longer has its heavy duty non slip surface.

Comment

lol..heavy duty non slip surface..as in the bucket of sand added to the paint......? lol..was a real bastard to apply!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Fouga View Post
              Hi guys,

can anybody confirm if her Helideck was/is rigged for carrying containers for Liberia? Im going back about 2 years ago here, and if she was/rigged for Containers etc is the rigging still on the Deck? Also why did the Heli operations stop?

Regards,

Fouga.
              The ARW brought a container full of gear with them on Eithne during Maneouvres last year as well I believe.

Comment

The ARW brought a container full of gear with them on Eithne during Maneouvres last year as well I believe.

lol going on past expiernces it was probably seasickness tabs...!! and spare out board engines..distress flares and Oars..Hymn sheets...Michael row the boat ashore!!!!

you would have been there to know...I was...after my lunch....priorities!A few of us are just trying to find out the truth about her deck.

so are some of us who served upon her..imagine those who seved in the past few years who never saw ahelo and thought it was a tennis court!
                Last edited by hptmurphy; 29 July 2007, 01:58.

Comment

there's salt all over the place!

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

lol going on past expiernces it was probably seasickness tabs...!! and spare out board engines..distress flares and Oars..Hymn sheets...Michael row the boat ashore!!!!

you would have been there to know...I was...after my lunch....priorities!A few of us are just trying to find out the truth about her deck.

so are some of us who served upon her..imagine those who seved in the past few years who never saw ahelo and thought it was a tennis court!
                    A helo Eithne never??

Comment

Remind me to wash my eyebrows out ...!

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Here you go Murph, The TENNIS team! And one of them didn't bother to 'bull' his boots
                        Attached Files

Comment

Kneeling in the back of a dauphin wouldn't do the toecaps any favours.
                          At least the crewman in the AW139 has a bit more headroom...

Comment

hee hee..they look very disorientated.

To all those out there who think it was a regular occurence take a look in the back round..the sea is flat calm.....and the sun was shining!

Comment

Originally posted by rosser
                              The Eithne has not been capable of carrying a helo in years

We used to train as snatch crew for the Helo Ditch into the deck but that has stopped this good while, but seeing how the fire moniter pumps that are designed put of the burning helo are half buggered it would not be the safest thing to do in letting them land.
                              The deck can still be used for a high lift though!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X