• Show
Clear All

L E Markeviche
    I hope the spelling is right?

Comment

He Knows too much...
      Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

They can be called the INS Gerry Ryan as far as I am concerned, it does not matter what they are called as they can [a] defend themselved and [B] inflict the most damage on whatever targets they encounter.
        As a taxpayer, I belive that ship should not be sent to sea, crewed by our finest young men and women, unless they are capable of protecting those men and women.
        I have no wish to see Irish men and women put in a position where they might die needlesly in my name. enough said!!!!!!

Yes, I an angry!!!!
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Happily though the irish Vessels may not be the heaviest armed in the world,they are safe ships,and in the dangerous world of the seafaring trade,our Naval service has a very Good safety Record. Sure there have been incidents aboard ship,but in recent years there has never been a question of seaworthyness.
          Thank God,our crews come home safely,which is all that matters in the long term.

What prompted this display of bitterness?

Comment

Thats Just Turks General outlook on our poorly funded defence forces and country in general!

You should hear him go on about the Air Corps!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

the L.E Vodafone, they sponsor everything else so why not the NS. I'm sure one of the creative members might design something
              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

We're seasick, How are you?
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I always thought Morrigan as in hounds of the would be a good name. Not a nice lady, suitable name for a warship

Comment

How about the L.E. (insert Gaelic word for 'Reunify' here). :p :flagwave:
                    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

So where did the Shark and the Fort Rannoch come from?

Comment

They were not vessels of the naval service.

Comment

I thought differently but by my research on the internet (the Unofficial Irish Naval Service Homepage) the ships of the Marine Service 1939 to 1946 were the Murichu, Fort Rannock, Shark, Isaalt and 3 MTBs and the ships of the Irish Naval Service 1947 were the 3 Corvettes (Macha, Maev and Cliona). Was there an overlap. I know the Murichu was "sunk" on route to the scrapyard in 1946, but I note that the MTBs weren't sold until 1948. Does anybody know how the Shark, Isaalt and Fort Rannock ended their days? (The links on the Unofficial Website don't work)

Comment

It has been 6 days and nobody has responded to my questions. Where are all the Naval experts gone?

Comment

Sorry the Isaalt broke up of the wicklow coast en route to Dublin with a cargo of cement.Pior to here days withe marine service she had been a cargo schooner.5 lives were lost.This incident was dated December 1946.

the fort rannoch was classified as being unsuitable for naval duties and was sold to Dublin Steam Trwling Co. in 1947.

Thew mine layer shark was retained until 1952 as a stores ship and harbour transport until 1952.She was eventually scrapped.

The MTBs were sold off in two batches to LT COL James Fitzmaurice for conversion to house boats in 1948 and 1950 as dry rot had set in and their engines were worn out.

All three corvettes had been delivered by february 1947 and the purchase of a fourth was cancelled because the Service did not have the crews to man it.

Sorry for the delay .any thing else just ask!
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally 6 corvettes were ordered,late during the emergency but in typical fashion,the war ended and the defence forces was scaled down. When the Corvettes were eventualy delivered to the Newly formed Naval service,(HMS Belwort,Oxlip,and the other one) they were the more modern of the Flower class,being fitted with a more modern form of radar than their predecessor.

The Shark and Fort Rannoch were vessels of the Marine service,which was the predecessor of the Naval service,and thus were without either the traditions rank structure or experience of what later became the Naval service.

The marine service was a stopgap measure ,to put boats on the water during the emergency. Most of the crews were former merchant marine or Dept of Agriculture and fisheries who had in their inventory the 1916 veteran Helga(which shelled Liberty Hall from the liffey) Now known as Murchiu. They were created to fill the gap left by the departure of the Royal Navy from our waters.
                                Indeed the MTBs bore no names,just numbers.
                                They looked good in Dev's propoganda films of the emergency,travelling at speed in sheltered waters,or laying mines in dublin bay,but one wonders how useful they actually were. Probably like the rest of the Defence forces at the time,poorly equipped ,armed with enthusaism and a hope that nobody is really going to attack..

Not much has changed really..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X