• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Nav Trooper
    Private 3*

• Nav Trooper
    replied
    I like the idea of something on the uniform to indicate the number of ships you've deployed on, number of days done at sea or operations completed. If the individuals who sit shoreside or avoid sea service and are offended then tough, thats an extra reason in favour of the idea!
    Wont happen.

A7 and all that.
    Would be seen as singeling them out and the Do Gooders wouldnt want to have the fact that others are doing their sea time advertised.

Leave a comment:

• A/TEL
    The Auld Fella

• A/TEL
    replied
    Sea service medal would be the ideal idea.

The army have overseas medals for 6 months, How many months has a Naval person spent at sea over his/her career, adds up to a whole lot more than 6 months..

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
    oh dear i suppose a few batteries are out of the question... chief
    Certainly not! They will want fairy lights on their uniforms next. Yes I can just see it now as the Co passes, - flashing buttons, strobe lights to high light the 'bull' on the boots and musical hats, all from a battery pack in the arse pocket!

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    bosun

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
    Gawd! Here we go again! It's like the boy scouts - How about a gold star on the cabin door for not snooring!

I think it's getting to be like the yanks, full of colourfull bits daubed all over their uniforms for every fart in combat.

Look, all this is about, is putting people on pedestals so that one can feel better than the next guy. In reality no one gives a tit what the other guy can display, its only the wearer that feels that he needs to have the ribbons, badges, etc to make himself feel good. Would it not be better for the individual to get a grip, and feel good about himself and HIS achievements, without having to display all this crap on what is already a smart uniform?

No disrespect to the other contributors.
    oh dear i suppose a few batteries are out of the question... chief

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Gawd! Here we go again! It's like the boy scouts - How about a gold star on the cabin door for not snooring!

I think it's getting to be like the yanks, full of colourfull bits daubed all over their uniforms for every fart in combat.

Look, all this is about, is putting people on pedestals so that one can feel better than the next guy. In reality no one gives a tit what the other guy can display, its only the wearer that feels that he needs to have the ribbons, badges, etc to make himself feel good. Would it not be better for the individual to get a grip, and feel good about himself and HIS achievements, without having to display all this crap on what is already a smart uniform?

No disrespect to the other contributors.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Unit/vessel could be put on rank slider on working dress or whatever it is called?!

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    Tim Horgan

• Goldie fish
    replied
    What about the sleeve bars that USN wear? Gold for seatime, Blue for shoreside..one for every rotation.

Leave a comment:

• Rooster
    replied
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hptmurphy
    Tally bands for ships to be worn by ratings on their caps.would be nice.

Collecting tally bands from caps would be a good indiation of srevice albeit you would have to be posted as opposed to being attached to have one.

Trouble is it would ruffle the feathers of those who never go to sea and would be seen as a jibe at them.

And how is that a bad thing? Everyone, regardless of rank is supposed to go to sea. However would you leave those on Base wearing "Eire" or something else?

I like the idea of something on the uniform to indicate the number of ships you've deployed on, number of days done at sea or operations completed. If the individuals who sit shoreside or avoid sea service and are offended then tough, thats an extra reason in favour of the idea!

Leave a comment:

• REX
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Just saw this thread again when doing a search for info for Rex.
    Latterly, T-shirts are being awarded....

http://www.tripwiremilitaryantiques....itrs%20019.jpg
    Unlikely, I think, to advance the argument
    But thanks for the info anyway

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Just saw this thread again when doing a search for info for Rex.

The mention of the suggestion of an award of ribbons for service ribbons
    aboard the various NS vessels reminds me of the way the German forces
    in WWII had cuff bands for the various campaigns they were involved in....

http://www.replicaters.com/ww2%20ger...f%20titles.jpg

Latterly, T-shirts are being awarded....

http://www.tripwiremilitaryantiques....itrs%20019.jpg
    Truck Driver
    Captain
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 28 June 2008, 10:23.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    That step back would be far greater than could have been acheived as it would the FN drill,
    I think the knowlege let alone the weapons are now part of the history of the DF.

The cermenonial aspect is nice but we don't really have the man power or the time to have deicated drill teams, pity, but to some , thats progress,

Maybe a change in the steyr drill would reflect the older drills and would show the actual skill that was required to 'drill' properly with the older weapons.

Leave a comment:

• beenthere
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Agreed althoug the staggered drill with the steyr on Nationwide this evening looked good..would have been just as impressive withe FN. Still like the Aussie idea with the chromed magazines and polished furniture.

The FN was far more impressive as a drill weapon although for day to day use and range practise the Steyr is far more user friendly,
    Murf, You know in your heart that nothing came near the .303 for arms drill.

Leave a comment:

• Connaught Stranger
    Lt Colonel

• Connaught Stranger
    replied
    It was for sale on Ebay, I did not bid on it because all official awards were engraved.

I believe this is a 1:1 reproduction, but the seller claimed this was issued

when I asked further I was told it / they were being sold out of the back door a certain stores

in an Irish Army Barracks!!!

Connaught Stranger.

Leave a comment:

• dahamster
    D.C.B.

• dahamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    The Good Conduct Medal: see pictures attached:

Connaught Stranger.
    how did you get one without an engraved name there mr stranger?

Leave a comment:

• Test Pilot
    2/Lt

• Test Pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    Well A.K. bayonets from various communist and now former communist countries have been on sale for years, with regards the Steyr, its probably not an Irish issue one though,

Connaught Stranger.
    Thanks for that CS!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X