No announcement yet.

Uses for the NSR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSR NCOs and Officers will only in extreme cases replace their NS counter parts at sea. Merchant Navy officers while they can stand a watch are not Naval Officers, most sane people in the NSR realise this and the NS are looking at ways of employing Senior NSR pers on board ship. Boarding Officers and NCOs would be a realistic goal to strive for. Fisheries course could be run and people who go to sea every year will gain more and more experiance. The ship gets a help out and we would be doing some thing more productive with our time at sea

Comment

That sounds like a useful employment. There is an article in today's Irish Times that notes that Agriculture has taken full responsibility for Fisheries now - and is claiming to work closer with the sector.

That'll be funny. There's a reason it's policed to tightly.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The industry disagree.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised by that.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I was required to do 10 hours steering to qualify for my helmsman ticket when I worked on a cargo ship. In 4 months trading, I achieved 7 hours of this.
            Average Naval Bod would achive this in a fortnight.

I know I did.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Looking at the book on the Niamh's journey to the Far East, NCOs & officers it was crewed like this (I know this may be different from normal) could some of these posts (potentially) be filled by NSR personnel on operational patrols?:

Navigation Offr - S/Lt
              Coxswain - CPO
              SPO Supplies - SPO
              Boatswain - PO
              PO Cook - PO
              PO Steward - PO
              3 x L/S
              L/Cook
              L/Steward
              In a flash of brilliance it came to me why there is no potential way that the equivalent ranks can swap in and out of each other roles.

While an NSR guy does his potential, standard and senior NCO's course. The Naval service guy does his professional qualifications which he must pass before he can apply for the Pots course etc..in The case of an A/sea they must sit their EDH and SG2 or in the case of RP's ,RP 2 before applying for promotion.He must be qualified to hold the rank by virtue of the fact he has passed the courses relavent to his his branch of the service..and this carries through all the branches so instead of just being a candidate for promotion by virtue of the fact that a guy is a potentail NCO in the reserve he won't have the formal qualifications to hold that rank in the NS.

This is where the basic breakdown takes place.You can't fill in for somebody until you know all the aspects of their job aboard ship..and have the relavent certification to carry them out.
              Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 September 2007, 00:56.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Well, just back from work after a hard week and I am very disappointed to see that after three weeks there is still "Absolutely No-one" with a use for the NSR. Surely the NSR has done something that sticks out as professional in someones head ??? CMON, anyone ?? anyone ??

Suppose Ill just have to think the worst then.
                As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Originally posted by armedboarder View Post
                  Well, just back from work after a hard week and I am very disappointed to see that after three weeks there is still "Absolutely No-one" with a use for the NSR. Surely the NSR has done something that sticks out as professional in someones head ??? CMON, anyone ?? anyone ??

Suppose Ill just have to think the worst then.
                  eh eh - good for duties in the base at christmas time??

Comment

We did reply..obviously our opinions don't count.

Comment

Oh come on Moggy, seriously, Christmas Duties.

Murph, you seem to be giving an opinion based on your experience. Whats more if YOU read MY posts I have identified and sympathised with the personnel who turn out all the time and give 110%. Moreover I would gladly applaud any improvements to the N.S.R. Syllabi of Training for that minority.

For Info: When a person or persons join a unit, (N.S. or N.S.R.) and display an active interest in training and the pursuit of task specific knowledge they are facilitated 100% and rewarded by testing and notation at the end of their deployment. The "Ignorance is no excuse" rule applies here.
                      As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

Murph, you seem to be giving an opinion based on your experience.'SM guys at sea in my time never

opinions based on later servers andwhat the NSR guys say them selves

TBH my only recent dealing withe NS was from my Army recon capacity

but given what is said the nsr needs a long look inward to actually know what they want and come back and fight what ever that place could be my current geographicala location and my politic s removes me from NSR...I'l just call it as i see it...with historical contributions.
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 September 2007, 01:47.

Comment

Working...
                        X