Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Murph, you seem to be giving an opinion based on your experience.'SM guys at sea in my time never

opinions based on later servers andwhat the NSR guys say them selves

TBH my only recent dealing withe NS was from my Army recon capacity

but given what is said the nsr needs a long look inward to actually know what they want and come back and fight what ever that place could be my current geographicala location and my politic s removes me from NSR...I'l just call it as i see it...with historical contributions.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 September 2007, 00:47.

Leave a comment:

• armedboarder
    replied
    Oh come on Moggy, seriously, Christmas Duties.

Murph, you seem to be giving an opinion based on your experience. Whats more if YOU read MY posts I have identified and sympathised with the personnel who turn out all the time and give 110%. Moreover I would gladly applaud any improvements to the N.S.R. Syllabi of Training for that minority.

For Info: When a person or persons join a unit, (N.S. or N.S.R.) and display an active interest in training and the pursuit of task specific knowledge they are facilitated 100% and rewarded by testing and notation at the end of their deployment. The "Ignorance is no excuse" rule applies here.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    We did reply..obviously our opinions don't count.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by armedboarder View Post
    Well, just back from work after a hard week and I am very disappointed to see that after three weeks there is still "Absolutely No-one" with a use for the NSR. Surely the NSR has done something that sticks out as professional in someones head ??? CMON, anyone ?? anyone ??

Suppose Ill just have to think the worst then.
    eh eh - good for duties in the base at christmas time??

Leave a comment:

• armedboarder
    replied
    Well, just back from work after a hard week and I am very disappointed to see that after three weeks there is still "Absolutely No-one" with a use for the NSR. Surely the NSR has done something that sticks out as professional in someones head ??? CMON, anyone ?? anyone ??

Suppose Ill just have to think the worst then.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Looking at the book on the Niamh's journey to the Far East, NCOs & officers it was crewed like this (I know this may be different from normal) could some of these posts (potentially) be filled by NSR personnel on operational patrols?:

Navigation Offr - S/Lt
    Coxswain - CPO
    SPO Supplies - SPO
    Boatswain - PO
    PO Cook - PO
    PO Steward - PO
    3 x L/S
    L/Cook
    L/Steward
    In a flash of brilliance it came to me why there is no potential way that the equivalent ranks can swap in and out of each other roles.

While an NSR guy does his potential, standard and senior NCO's course. The Naval service guy does his professional qualifications which he must pass before he can apply for the Pots course etc..in The case of an A/sea they must sit their EDH and SG2 or in the case of RP's ,RP 2 before applying for promotion.He must be qualified to hold the rank by virtue of the fact he has passed the courses relavent to his his branch of the service..and this carries through all the branches so instead of just being a candidate for promotion by virtue of the fact that a guy is a potentail NCO in the reserve he won't have the formal qualifications to hold that rank in the NS.

This is where the basic breakdown takes place.You can't fill in for somebody until you know all the aspects of their job aboard ship..and have the relavent certification to carry them out.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 21 September 2007, 23:56.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    I was required to do 10 hours steering to qualify for my helmsman ticket when I worked on a cargo ship. In 4 months trading, I achieved 7 hours of this.
    Average Naval Bod would achive this in a fortnight.

I know I did.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    I can't say I'm surprised by that.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    The industry disagree.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    That sounds like a useful employment. There is an article in today's Irish Times that notes that Agriculture has taken full responsibility for Fisheries now - and is claiming to work closer with the sector.

That'll be funny. There's a reason it's policed to tightly.

Leave a comment:

• popeye
    replied
    NSR NCOs and Officers will only in extreme cases replace their NS counter parts at sea. Merchant Navy officers while they can stand a watch are not Naval Officers, most sane people in the NSR realise this and the NS are looking at ways of employing Senior NSR pers on board ship. Boarding Officers and NCOs would be a realistic goal to strive for. Fisheries course could be run and people who go to sea every year will gain more and more experiance. The ship gets a help out and we would be doing some thing more productive with our time at sea

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Short answer, not a chance, apart from perhaps the Cook/Steward jobs(if they still exist) if the NSR replacement already worked in the catering industry aboard cruise Liners.

Nav Officer needs a class 3 Watchkeeping at least, as well as be well versed in fisheries legislation, as they may need to give evidence for a prosecution for illegal fishing in court.

The Courses required for most of the other positions all involve specific quantities of seatime. Not practical or possible to achieve this when limited to operating aboard ship for 3 weeks in a year.
    For example, if I might draw a civilian comparison. I was required to do 10 hours steering to qualify for my helmsman ticket when I worked on a cargo ship. In 4 months trading, I achieved 7 hours of this.
    A ship is a busy place, and there isnt always time to concentrate on the training of full time crew, never mind part time.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Looking at the book on the Niamh's journey to the Far East, NCOs & officers it was crewed like this (I know this may be different from normal) could some of these posts (potentially) be filled by NSR personnel on operational patrols?:

Navigation Offr - S/Lt
    Coxswain - CPO
    SPO Supplies - SPO
    Boatswain - PO
    PO Cook - PO
    PO Steward - PO
    3 x L/S
    L/Cook
    L/Steward

Leave a comment:

• macca
    replied
    Originally posted by popeye View Post
    NSR pers with Merchant Navy tickets are few and far between.
    Well there's already three in Waterford Unit and two in Cork with at least three more in training, but you're right TSOs will bring great benefits

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Given the close integration between NS/NSR would it not be acceptable for the NS SNCO to go on leave and the NSR SNCO just replace him while he's away
    Not a hope in jaysus!

read what I said earlier about someone who is a PO/Sea in the NSR as opposed to a PO/Sea NSR...basic difference usually adds up to about ten years sea time...and that is the hugest division of all.

In fairness the only place there can be some equality is at junior rating level where rank doesn't play a factor apart from Laeding hand Rank,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X