X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thebig C
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

The other side of the coin is with the thiness of the hull plating chances are that any high speed missile would pass straight through a PV,assuming the ship was hit side on above the water line, given the nature of the design..so there is some hope!
    Didn't work like that for HMS Sheffield though....

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    20mm and .5 and gpmgs are point defence..where as 57mm and 76mm can be used as bombardment weapons.

The use of 20mm weapons was well depicted in the falklands against aircraft and later deployed ships had a myriad of mountings of both Oerlikon and GamBo weapons..some were of '50s vintage twin mountings taken from Ton Class sweepers.

The yanks also learned from the USS Cole that these point defence weapons are about the only defence againts small go fasts and as a result even recent pictures from visits here, Cobh in particular ,they will always have a manned .5 at the ready.

As for deploying your shiny new MRV in some PSO mission in darkest Africa....your 20mm's and '.5's are in fact your sentries against this type of attack.

The use of 84mm Carl Gustav Recoiless weapons ( as opposed to the 'AT-4' anti tank missile system) was a needs must last gasp attempt to throw a spanner in the works. Given the limited range of the Recoiless weapon its hardly a text book operation..but is well worth remembering in the possibilty of an RPG attack when working close to shore on PSO operations.

Lesson to learned to stay outside the effective range of potential threats..even if the suspected attackers don't carry higher threat weapons. The thin plating of PVs etc is no match for an average HEAT round.

AS for using your 20mm weapons hand operated against dedicated anti ship missiles..I wish you all the best..GoalKeeper and Phalanx can do it sufficiently...but I reckon a guy on the upperdecks of a PV with a 20mm is going to have his work cut out...

As for the DAO5 it has a 360 degree track..the LIOD is more limited but whats the use when your primary weapon can only train through 220 degrees and the safety traing arcs on the secondary weapons are limited to about 100 degress of their mountings..can't really do anything about anything coming from behind..except watch it on the screen.

The other side of the coin is with the thiness of the hull plating chances are that any high speed missile would pass straight through a PV,assuming the ship was hit side on above the water line, given the nature of the design..so there is some hope!
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 17 September 2007, 11:20.

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Yeah, I have a load of music on my harddrive that I copied from people.

My point is as above, where are you going with this?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    If thats trhe case, why bother having any Armament aboard ship at all?

Ever hear of Piracy?

Leave a comment:

• thebig C
    replied
    beachhead

It is highly unlikely that an Irish Naval Service vessel is going to be put into that sort of dangerous situation, but if there were any doubt about security at the destination, then presumably troops go in first, via RIBs, helis, landing craft, whatever, to secure the area.

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Thats my point really...at that range there's not much you can do. That close you're in the range of HMG and cannon fire too and those are gonna mess up your day.

Leave a comment:

• Victor
    replied
    AT4 300m
    AT-4 2000m

I concur with concussion. Getting with reach of anti-tank missiles would be an incorrect use of your MRV. I stongly doubt it will be used for a opposed landing when every other navy in the world is moving away from opposed landings (with helicopters and hovercraft giving them that option).

If one really 'had to', one would possibly make a fast approach with the best concealment available from the direction of the low sun with lots of black smoke and IR flares with small craft inshore. But it won't stop people taking pot shots at you.

Leave a comment:

• thebig C
    replied
    Originally posted by ropebag View Post
    if you've arrived in some hell-hole with your shiny new MRV thats choc-a-bloc with log stores for a PSO, exactly how will said stores reach said hell-hole if the MRV stays outside the engagement range of something nasty and shoulder-launched?
    Helicopter, landing craft....

Leave a comment:

• ropebag
    replied
    Originally posted by concussion View Post
    Stay more than 2km away from it
    if you've arrived in some hell-hole with your shiny new MRV thats choc-a-bloc with log stores for a PSO, exactly how will said stores reach said hell-hole if the MRV stays outside the engagement range of something nasty and shoulder-launched?

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Mut more importantly before you go off doing your merry dance, what defence would you provide from shoulder launched missiles, such as the AT4?
    Stay more than 2km away from it

Leave a comment:

• mutter nutter
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Mut more importantly before you go off doing your merry dance, what defence would you provide from shoulder launched missiles, such as the AT4?
    Me?......:confused:

Leave a comment:

• ex pat 007
    replied
    Originally posted by Victor View Post
    At South Georgia.

AS-12 is hardly shoulder launched at 76 kg. :D
    What ? 160 lbs ? too easy...

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Now you are being pedantic. I am suggesting that it is possible to disable a naval vessel using shoulder launched missiles(an AT4 is considered a missile once it leaves the "tube").
    No mention of post firing guidance, but I wouldn't rule out a Javelin or Milan. These are shoulder launched missiles.

Leave a comment:

• Victor
    replied
    Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
    Santa fe was hit by AS-12 AT missiles fired by Wasp helicopters
    At South Georgia.

AS-12 is hardly shoulder launched at 76 kg. :D

Leave a comment:

• mutter nutter
    replied
    Originally posted by Pod View Post
    I believe the submarine was disabled by a Sea Skua fired by a RN Lynx some where in the region of South Georgia . The Carl gustav incident occured on East Falkland during the invasion itself- damaged an Argentinian corvette in memory serves.
    Santa fe was hit by AS-12 AT missiles fired by Wasp helicopters

Leave a comment:

Working...
X