Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tradition and Ceremony.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tradition and Ceremony.

    L.E. Emer was a part of a tradition that goes back to the 18th century over the weekend.

    The Lord Mayor of Cork, Cllr Counihan, performed the Throwing of the Dart Ceremony from L.E Emer, which set out from Custom House Quay, to a point off Roches Point.
    The Dart was thrown into the Sea off Roches Point to mark the Point where the Jurisdiction over the City and Harbour begins.


    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

  • #2
    Its done in Waterford Every year as well usually from the L.E. Aoife
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

    Comment


    • #3
      They started doing it in Limerick again last year, I can't recall what boat the mayor threw the dart off though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by smegers View Post
        They started doing it in Limerick again last year, I can't recall what boat the mayor threw the dart off though.
        Jeez, don't call it boat. You'll call the wrath of the Navy members down on your head.
        ________
        Vermont medical marijuana dispensaries
        Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 14:03.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          L.E. Emer was a part of a tradition that goes back to the 18th century over the weekend.

          The Lord Mayor of Cork, Cllr Counihan, performed the Throwing of the Dart Ceremony from L.E Emer, which set out from Custom House Quay, to a point off Roches Point.
          The Dart was thrown into the Sea off Roches Point to mark the Point where the Jurisdiction over the City and Harbour begins.
          thats a great tradition

          I take it thats it not a dart as in "180"
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Smithy View Post
            Jeez, don't call it boat. You'll call the wrath of the Navy members down on your head.
            I think it was done past the curragower so it was hardly one of the NS ships.

            Comment


            • #7

              On Sunday 30th August 2009, the Lord Mayor Cllr. Dara Murphy, along with 30 guests, traveled aboard the LE Róisín to perform the traditional "Throwing of the Dart Ceremony" at Roches Point, so conferring on him the honorary title of Admiral of the Port.

              http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,20602,en.html


              Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

              Comment


              • #8
                looks like he was "oched" out of it
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                Comment


                • #9
                  The theory behind the ceremony is that wherever the dart lands marks the extent of the influence of the city.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Interesting given the land surrounding is in county council area.


                    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Never heard of this throwing of the dart. Just another junket for the city hall types and a waste of diesel fuel. Snip It I say.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm surprised you have missed it.
                        It's been happening since the 1700s


                        Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          IN Dublin we have the traditional throwing stuff at the Dart competition

                          or you can throw up on the Dart
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            usetabeanera

                            Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            I'm surprised you have missed it.
                            It's been happening since the 1700s
                            Maybe he's not as OLD as you Goldie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Since the 1700's. I knew it was going to be a leftover from the Raj. Bring back the Goulds as a captain I say. He would give all these British rituals their due.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X