Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Identification System

For your amusement.....

Live shipping movements from AIS and webcam looking over the River Mersey and Liverpool Bay.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

thats highly addictive

thanks
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

There is still some debate as to whether ais feeds should be in the public domain or not. As a "spotter" myself(ships have them too) to me all it is really is a very very powerful pair of binoculars.
      The threat from terrorist attacks on ships is there whether there is AIS feeds or not.
      Interesting to see how busy the solent is.
      Thanks for that one.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

seems like the direct equivalent to ACARS for aircraft

cheers for the link!

Comment

are Naval Vessels included in this

and feck you spider

I have been following a ship all afternoon

Comment

It tracks some naval vessels from time to time.

Comment

Does it track our lads

or just the RN

Comment

Its not as simple as that. there is no "it" There is a "they". As I said earlier, many in Ireland believe AIS feeds should not be in the public domain, and those who have the ability to track vessels here have decided not to publicise them.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Its not as simple as that. there is no "it" There is a "they". As I said earlier, many in Ireland believe AIS feeds should not be in the public domain, and those who have the ability to track vessels here have decided not to publicise them.
                  I was tracked by Mersyside Radio, doing 22 knots aproaching the 'Mersey bar' last week, because of our AIS. I'm some what taken back by the site supplied by Spider. Very interesting.

I had a peek at the quay wall in Wicklow on the way up the Irish Sea, and was very surprised to see that the 'Sweeper' is still painted on the wall after all these years. Some twenty five odd years? It was enquired about in an earlier thread. A right little art gallery! Pic attached. Tusker light house is also thrown in, as we all seem to hear about it and never see it! Well worth a look! A bit like the hidden Ireland, only seen by the privilaged few.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Test Pilot; 24 September 2007, 22:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                    I was tracked by Mersyside Radio, doing 22 knots aproaching the 'Mersey bar' last week, because of our AIS. I'm some what taken back by the site supplied by Spider. Very interesting.

I had a peek at the quay wall in Wicklow on the way up the Irish Sea, and was very surprised to see that the 'Sweeper' is still painted on the wall after all these years. Some twenty five odd years? It was enquired about in an earlier thread. A right little art gallery! Pic attached. Tusker light house is also thrown in, as we all seem to hear about it and never see it! Well worth a look! A bit like the hidden Ireland, only seen by the privilaged few.
                    nice to see the sweeper still on the wall and the story when ourselves (grainne cm 10) and( fola cm11) came alongside wicklow we changed the number on the drawing..so as to claim it for that ship.. then we went ashore,,, the rest is history...

Comment

Glad that site proved interesting. It is a bit addictive though.

I saw those paintings on Wicklow harbour quay wall a few weeks ago. Asgard, Scottish puffers etc. Very nice to see. Wicklow is a nice place.
                      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Wicklow - a discussion.

Wicklow, as a port is ok at best. Anytime there is a north easterly the waves hammer in the harbour entrance and everyone has to move their boat into the inner harbour.

If you are along side the pleasantly painted harbour wall you will be lucky to get a ladder up to the pier. The inner harbouris grand if you can find a spot.

Still, Wicklow town is pleasant enough. Much better than Arklow. Arklow has a nice harbour and marina but as a town it sucks.

Comment

Tusker light house is also thrown in, as we all seem to hear about it and never see it! Well worth a look! A bit like the hidden Ireland, only seen by the privilaged few.

I hate having to see Tusker Rock. It means we missed the tide and we're going to spend the next 6 and a half hours looking at the damn thing doing 1-2Kts!!
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                            I hate having to see Tusker Rock. It means we missed the tide and we're going to spend the next 6 and a half hours looking at the damn thing doing 1-2Kts!!
                            Ah!, if one was to shack up in Kilmore Quay for a few hours, and wait till the tide was with you, it would be a better option! Or in Arklow if going in the other direction.

Which reminds me of a story when Marine Transport were doing a job on the east coast, their tug (whose name I can't recall) offered the line boat, who was also with them, a tow back so as to take the pressure off the two crew. The line boat declined the offer as the two men were happy to make their own way to Rosslare. Eventually after a somewhat longer journey than anticipated, the line boat eventually made port.

'This doesn't look familiar, Mick'. ' Go up the ladder and ask where we are'.

Up Mick went and enquired of a local fisherman if this was Rosslare.

'Sorry mate' came the reply in an english accent, 'your a bit off the mark - this is Milford Haven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X