• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond Bulker incident

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/diamond-bulker.pdf

Long, but an interesting read.

Things went very, very badly wrong.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Unfortunate, but there are procedures for entering Void spaces which must not be ignored by anyone. The initial smell should have been a giveaway.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
      http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/diamond-bulker.pdf

Long, but an interesting read.

Things went very, very badly wrong.
      Sad! It also hapened a few years ago on a Jananese Trawler 'Tese Maru' in Irish waters. Basically what happened was that the Engine room mech went into the engine room, but was unaware that a refridgerant leak had taken place. He collapsed at the bottom of the ladder and died. When he was missed the engineer went to look for him and when he saw him at the bottom of the ladder, entered the space. He too died on top of his colleague. Shortly after the alarm was raised, the captain entered the engine room and also died. The remainder of the crew managed to raise the alarm and a Naval Service ship was dispatched to render assistance. A crew with BA sets recovered the bodies which were brought to Cobh. A very sad day for all. Every time I see a Japanese trawler, it reminds me of the incident, and the three bodies laid out on the work deck. All these trawlers seem to have a name ending in the word 'Maru'.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
        All these trawlers seem to have a name ending in the word 'Maru'.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...ng_conventions
        "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Concussion, very interesting! Thank you.

Comment

Freon 22 as used in refrigerants which caused the deaths aboard the trawler has the same basic properties as Halon 1211 (Bromochlorodifluoromethane) which up to a few few years ago was used as a fire suppressant aboard at least one of the Irish Naval Vessels.

Properties to include

Tasteless.
            Odourless.
            Invisible.

has since been replaced by CO2 flood sytems but never quite as effective.

Halon 1211 was taken of the market becuse it wasn't ozone friendly....as was the case with Freon 22...which was used in most commercial refrigeration applications up to about 10 years ago.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi there
              A friend of mine was inside the tanks of a 767 on a major overhaul, using externally-fed breathing apparatus.A man was stationed at the entrance, with the duty of caring for the airhose and calling out at regular intervals to the man inside, as well as keeping a sparkproof tank torch handy, in case he had to go inside to retrieve my friend. After a while, my mate found his air supply failing, after having crawled thru several internal hatchs. He called out to the man outside, as he tried to reverse out, with little or no air getting thru.He managed to get out and collapsed on the wing. Other lads noticed and came to his assistance. The minder had decided that going outside for a smoke was the okay thing to do.He got a hiding for his pains.
              Tanks and closed cavities are too bloody dangerous to be taken lightly.
              regards
              GttC

Comment

I've only heard about this, but I'm led to believe it is true -

Two Police divers were training on a sunken barge in a quarry in England.

Inside the barge was an air pocket. Both men entered the barge and made their way into where the space with the air pocket was.

They removed their regulators, for whatever reason, in the area where the air pocket was, seemingly intending to breathe the air trapped in the air pocket.

However, the inside of the barge was rusting, and this in turn either (not sure which) caused the oxygen to be removed from the air, or release some sort of fumes.

They both lost their lives, not sure if they drowned or the atmosphere killed them.
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                  I've only heard about this, but I'm led to believe it is true -

Two Police divers were training on a sunken barge in a quarry in England.

Inside the barge was an air pocket. Both men entered the barge and made their way into where the space with the air pocket was.

They removed their regulators, for whatever reason, in the area where the air pocket was, seemingly intending to breathe the air trapped in the air pocket.

However, the inside of the barge was rusting, and this in turn either (not sure which) caused the oxygen to be removed from the air, or release some sort of fumes.

They both lost their lives, not sure if they drowned or the atmosphere killed them.

PC Stephen Taylor & PC Andrew John Morrison. June 1989.

the divers were following a routine training exercise in some gravel pits close to Dobbs Weir near Nazeing. Andy Morrison and Steve Taylor got into difficulties while attempting to attach a hawser to a sunken barge. Steve Taylor died at the scene, and Andy Morrison the following day in hospital.
                  Last edited by pmtts; 6 January 2009, 18:47.

Comment

Working...
                  X