• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent post Murph! Thanks!

Comment

Murph
      Thanks for that excellent post and Info

Comment

Its all taken from Tom MacGintys book on the Naval Service ...'The Irish Navy A story of Tenacity and Courage' published in 1995.

If I'm not mistaken he was the grandfather of someone who posted here in the past.

From recollection the man who wrote the book has passed on but the book remains one of the best ever written about the NS in its time.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Don't forget.... 4 rounds of 7.62...

over the head of Martin Ferris TD, in 1984 onboard the Marita Ann, from the L.E. Emer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Jack View Post
            over the head of Martin Ferris TD, in 1984 onboard the Marita Ann, from the L.E. Emer.
            Now that was great work. God alone knows how many lives were saved when that stuff was intercepted.

At the risk of sounding glib, and please don't take it that way....

Thanks Lads.
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Jack View Post
              The perfect suprise... it worked well that night, thank god for that damn big rock we were able to hide behind.......

Comment

His ( Feriss's) daughter is on the campaign trail for Europe I wonder does she know how near to an untimely end her old fella nearly came to..might jog her memory about the party she has joined.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Here's a link to a good article on the CIL website that describes the Macha depth charging the hazard..

Comment

Don't forget the Bas trying to put the Emer into orbit on a foreign cruise around 89/90 I think. Smoke billowing from the magazine. L/Gnr (I think swaney) wanted to flood. Bas having none of it. It took Fr. Des SDB to save the day.

cc Naval Int (ha ha)

Comment

Fires on ships were a common occurence, just not news worthy at the time.

You just weren't in the clique unless you had a fire. Eithne had three in one week.. yes Damo you slept through the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        Fires on ships were a common occurence, just not news worthy at the time.

You just weren't in the clique unless you had a fire. Eithne had three in one week.. yes Damo you slept through the first one.
                        I have commented on this before when one is fighting a fire there is no need for all that screaming & shouting (it was not easy to try & sleep throught )
                        That was the reason we have watches so they can deal with any emergency (quietly & like professionels) without bothering everyone

Fire & flooding are always the big dangers
                        As for firing on runaway fishing boats normal naval procedure in my time was to pull alongside and just let them see you taking covers off guns & that did the trick
                        Didn`t even need a trip to the magazine to get ammo
                        What do you mean abandon ship
                        Are they taking requests?

Comment

Very interesting post, I know a fella from Kerry who shall remain nameless, (in case this turns out to be a wind up by him), who apparently, so he claims, was in the NS about 15 years ago, cant remember what ship he said, anyway, according to him, he and some mates went on the tear one night, got smashed out of their skulls and upon returning to the ship early the next morning, Mr Nameless, still stoned out of his box, supposedly loaded the main gun and blew some yatch or similar vessel clean out of the water for the hell of it. Has anyone heard about such an event, or is Mr Nameless just bull shitting. I've met him a few times and he's a great character, but I can also vouch that he certainly is the kind of guy who would be crazy enough to pull a stunt like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan S View Post
                            Very interesting post, I know a fella from Kerry who shall remain nameless, (in case this turns out to be a wind up by him), who apparently, so he claims, was in the NS about 15 years ago, cant remember what ship he said, anyway, according to him, he and some mates went on the tear one night, got smashed out of their skulls and upon returning to the ship early the next morning, Mr Nameless, still stoned out of his box, supposedly loaded the main gun and blew some yatch or similar vessel clean out of the water for the hell of it. Has anyone heard about such an event, or is Mr Nameless just bull shitting. I've met him a few times and he's a great character, but I can also vouch that he certainly is the kind of guy who would be crazy enough to pull a stunt like that.
                            If he was in the Navy,then there is definitely a smell of bullshit in the air
                            We are all known for it , it is the first thing they teach you in recruits even before they teach you to walk in the same direction as a group----happy days !
                            What do you mean abandon ship
                            Are they taking requests?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan S View Post
                              what a load of ca ca. you cant beat a good story and most of them are true but that one is definitly off the rails,and if you pm me a name i will tell you his character.. otherwise tell him to pi.. off ..

Comment

Didn`t even need a trip to the magazine to get ammo
                                ha..you just sent me instead!

Originally Posted by Aidan S

Of course he did..we all did..used to do it on a regular basis, it was happening every weekend.

Not even a bullshitter, ****ing liar is more accurate.
                                Last edited by hptmurphy; 28 May 2009, 22:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X