Ouzo coastguard response 'flawed'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouzo coastguard response 'flawed'

This has been big news down my neck of the woods since the incident.

The officer of the watch on the Pride of Bilbao has been cleared of all charges at Winchester Crown Court. I dont think the truth will ever be known what happned to the yacht, Ouzo.

It however appears, the MCA have had a bashing over the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7125755.stm
    Last edited by pmtts; 13 December 2007, 12:33.

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
    This has been big news down my neck of the woods since the incident.

The officer of the watch on the Pride of Bilbao has been cleared of all charges at Winchester Crown Court. I dont think the truth will ever be known what happned to the yacht, Ouzo.

It however appears, the MCA have had a bashing over the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7125755.stm
    A real tragedy! But it can be clearly seen how complacent MRCC in any port can get. MRCC in Portland and the Solent, as you know, are kept on their toes at the best of times, and most of the traffic is routine. So it is easy to see how things slow up. Monotonous work hours tend to leave staff tired and inefficient.
    On the other hand, when a tragedy in Northen Ireland unfolded some years ago, involving the sinking of a fishing vessel off Kilkeel, and which claimed the lives of three members of the Green family, a major search and rescue operation swung into action, involving different agencies both north and south. The Irish Navy spent two weeks there searching the sea bed for the vessel. The RoRo ferry at Warrenpoint was impounded while checks were done on the hull to see if paint scratches there matched the colour of the missing vessel. The results were negative.
    But the point being, that as nothing much happens on the North East coast of Ireland, compared to South Coast UK, that when some thing happens, its like a breath of fresh air for the local MRCC, and all stops are pulled out.
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 16 December 2007, 18:49.

Comment

This report attached is worth reading, though its long.

Very interesting about the lifejackets.

They reckon one of the sailors remained alive in the water for 12 hours.

Poor lads.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Ouzo_.pdf
      Last edited by spider; 27 March 2008, 21:33.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

The Pride of Bilbao is Irish Continental Group owned and merely under lease to P&O. Another Irish owned vessel is the MV Kaitaki(former Isle of Inisfree) and now under lease in NZ operating between the North and South islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
          The Pride of Bilbao is Irish Continental Group owned and merely under lease to P&O.
          Whats that got to do with the sinking of the Ouzo & the MAIB report :confused::confused:
          Last edited by pmtts; 28 March 2008, 13:32.

Comment

Absolutely nothing. But considering the ship was mentioned in this same post already I thought it an interesting aside. Feel better now? No need to be spitting out the dummy!!
            Last edited by Jetjock; 28 March 2008, 18:35.

Comment

Working...
            X