The Irish Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Irish Government

Why won't the Irish government pump money into the Irish Naval service?

Who says they wont? How much do you want pumped? What would you suggest be done with it?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

why won't the irish government pump money into my wallet?:wink:
      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Mine first... I'm a poor neglected civil servant not getting any more benchmarking increase...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

LOL....join the back of the queue then bud!!
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

No votes

Originally posted by theseaghost View Post
            Why won't the Irish government pump money into the Irish Naval service?
            For the same reason as they will not pump money into the Army or the Aer Corps. There are no votes in it.

Generally, Joe Public (who elected said government) couldn't give a monkeys. Joe Public's only concern is the money in his or her pocket, not the Naval Service.

Comment

Historically it has never been the case. Simple as..

there is no long standing naval tradition which would have been aquirred by a standing fleet which would have protect maritime asssets and foreign trade.

Out of site assets from which there is negligble fianancial return such as navys are never popular and given the depletion of naval assets in western orientated navys I reckon its a miracle we still have a navy as there have been terms when its removal was either threated or did actually happen

The Naval service because of its Army parentage has like the Air Corps been far down the list of priorities and given atht aquistitions such as the Peacocks were reactionary as opposed to planned purchase's the proposed spending on three new vessels is about as good as it gets.

During the 90's again there was almost the case for removing a ship from service due to crewing issues and recruitment was increased to adress this.

Now another crises looms in the age of the vessels in service versus increased sea time and shortage of personel and the reaction has been ..theres the budget find as much as you can ..preferably off the shelf..no money or time for R&D..and if we think we like it .. we might let you have it.

I really don't think there is a straight answer to the question The powers within the Naval Service have always had to live with poor decision making from the civil servants.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
              X