No announcement yet.

Fire in haubowline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster burning generally means hotter anyway, with a greater heat release rate being present. Given the fire seemed to be fairly well ventilated for most of its duration, temperatures would have been running 800-1000 degrees for a good while. The roof going would have been a good thing for the walls, allowing the fire to vent to atmosphere, reducing internal temperatures.

Stone buildings mostly suffer from spalling, whereby bits of material burst away from the surface due to the heat, thereby weakening it - another big problem is the cold water jets hitting hot stone walls accelerate this. That said, I was talking to someone familiar with the building yesterday, who reckons the walls are 4+ feet thick, which would suggest they are largely self supporting. Hence the picture showing the walls to be intact.

In the days this building was constructed, cast iron could have been used in floors & the roof, this is a material that responds unpredictably to fire due to wide variations in it's composition. Substantial hardwood joists and rafters tend to perform surprisingly well in fires. Incidentally stone staircases are one of the most dangerous things firefighters have to deal with, once exposed to heat, they can just fail catastrophically with little or no warning.

The building looks savable if the resources are there.
    With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

Originally posted by rosser
      I would love some day to see all the buildings restored to full glory and to naval base command.

Test on a lighter note thats one scary looking photograph, cna you ID the blokes for me?
      Sadly, I can only name two people from the 'Stand Too' pic. CPO Paddy, whome we all know, retired and worked in the tech stores in the center block which wasn't burnt - yet! and A/EA Eamon Byrne (center) who has long departed these shores.
      I might add, Paddy was and still is a real Gent. Never saw him flustered, but always willing to help anyone who came to the electrical stores hatch. Never needed a computer to tell him where the parts were! He could put his hand on anything. Can anyone else name the fire crew here?
      Test Pilot
      2/Lt
      Last edited by Test Pilot; 17 March 2008, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
        Sadly, I can only name two people from the 'Stand Too' pic. CPO Paddy, whome we all know, retired and worked in the tech stores in the center block which wasn't burnt - yet! and A/EA Eamon Byrne (center) who has long departed these shores.
        I might add, Paddy was and still is a real Gent. Never saw him flustered, but always willing to help anyone who came to the electrical stores hatch. Never needed a computer to tell him where the parts were! He could put his hand on anything. Can anyone else name the fire crew here?
        4TH from left is po/era fintan mullen.. the chap 2nd from left sadly is dead he was an electrician and to jog peoples meomery he once fell off a ladder in the tt bay and this introduced a complete overhaul of health and safety,,,, he left the service and went to work in england where he got a brain tumor.. first name was ricky i think,,,, R.I.P..

Comment

G.R. thanks for that! You are right, Ricky was his name - didn't know he had died. There were three electricians in that photo.
          Ah, Just remembered - Ricky Buckley?
          Test Pilot
          2/Lt
          Last edited by Test Pilot; 17 March 2008, 18:16.

Comment

G.R. thanks for that! You are right, Ricky was his name - didn't know he had died. There were three electricians in that photo.
            Ah, Just remembered - Ricky Buckley?
            nice one.. no old brain rot set in yet.. now where did i leave my keys

Comment

Found this with the portable fire pump. In this case it was to be use to spread dispersant for an oil spill in the basin. Circa 1981.
              'Johnie Brit', Ironhead and Fire chief Paddy are the only ones I can recall. Oh! and tons of detergent! Fairy Liquid - good for the hands.
              Attached Files
              Test Pilot
              2/Lt
              Last edited by Test Pilot; 17 March 2008, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                I am told that Limestone degrades with intense heat. How would this affect the structural integrity, given the speed the fire ripped through?
                A new interior can be built that isn't dependent on the walls for support. Getting the smell out is another matter.

From this picture, the building looks remarkably intact (considering) and that is probably down to it's solid design and construction. The interior went because metals lose much of their structural strength at even a few hundred degrees and are good conductors (bad in a fire). Large timer members take time to burn through and are good insulators.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...6&d=1205673386

If there was recent building work, I would look at an electrical or heating source for the start of the fire.
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Found this with the portable fire pump. In this case it was to be use to spread dispersant for an oil spill in the basin. Circa 1981.
                  'Johnie Brit', Ironhead and Fire chief Paddy are the only ones I can recall. Oh! and tons of detergent! Fairy Liquid - good for the hands.
                  philip shaw holding monitor... the state of the drums... i wonder have they come up with a modern equivalant...

Comment

Looks like Macker McDonnell in the back round in the 'white front'...minus the jewlery!

Would look from the reflections the photo was taken in the Basin alongside a PV and they are on the Seabhac
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      Looks like Macker McDonnell in the back round in the 'white front'...minus the jewlery!

Would look from the reflections the photo was taken in the Basin alongside a PV and they are on the Seabhac
                      Correct!

Comment

Air view of the old blocks and the damaged block 4 at Haulbowline. Nice to see the restored center building and the restoration on the left hand building in progress.
                        Attached Files
                        Test Pilot
                        2/Lt
                        Last edited by Test Pilot; 30 March 2008, 15:22.

Comment

Surprised to see how much of the 2nd floor still remains, in addition to the crispy looking beams of the top floor The walls don't look too badly scorched either.(apart from the windows). Still surprised how the ground floor windows and doors remain intact too.

Is the Marine Barracks still unused?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Is the Marine Barracks still unused?
                            Which building is that?

Comment

The walled square, with the ramp up to it, behind Block six, next to the church.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The walled square, with the ramp up to it, behind Block six, next to the church.
                                Gosh, I always took that building to be the vitualing yard?

Comment

Working...
                                X