Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire in haubowline

HAULBOWLINE ON FIRE TONIGHT!

A major fire is under way tonight at the Naval Base at Haulbowline. It appears that one of the old tech stores buildings caught fire in the roof. The building used to house the old SSG block. See attached photo.
    2230hrs. Building fully ablaze on all floors.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Test Pilot; 14 March 2008, 22:58.

The nice looking refurbished building on the left (is that part of the same block??)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      The nice looking refurbished building on the left (is that part of the same block??)
      No Dev, the left and center blocks appears to be safe now. Attached is a pic of how it was before the fire. Out of a total of six blocks, two have now been gutted by fire. The first one was a few years ago, when Ispat had them as offices. Sadly one of their employies died in that fire. Heard no reports of any injuries from tonights fire. I'm just shocked. I spent a few years in that building.
      Final sad pic tonight attached.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Test Pilot; 12 March 2008, 00:43.

Comment

Fire in haubowline

Anyone have any info, just seen a quick bit about it on news on 2???

Comment

Block 4 was what a friend text me. I went in for look myself and it's one of the older buildings that was being refurbished. The one most visible from the Cobh side. Building is totally destroyed, roof gone and spread throughout all three floors.

Last edited by Kevin. B; 12 March 2008, 01:13. Reason: Add photos taken by brother

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
            Anyone have any info, just seen a quick bit about it on news on 2???
            Pics are posted on the Air Sea Rescue thread earlier.
            If the MOD wishes to change them over , that fine.
            Last edited by Test Pilot; 12 March 2008, 01:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
              No Dev, the left and center blocks appears to be safe now. Attached is a pic of how it was before the fire. Out of a total of six blocks, two have now been gutted by fire. The first one was a few years ago, when Ispat had them as offices. Sadly one of their employies died in that fire. Heard no reports of any injuries from tonights fire. I'm just shocked. I spent a few years in that building.
              Final sad pic tonight attached.
              sad to see that building burn and with the wind tonight... I was stand to cmdr when the other one caught on fire its a freightning thing to witness...

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                sad to see that building burn and with the wind tonight... I was stand to cmdr when the other one caught on fire its a freightning thing to witness...
                I'll post the aftermath of the fire Pics in the morning!
                Last edited by Test Pilot; 12 March 2008, 01:05.

Comment

Things got well hot when the roof fell in, windows smashed outward and plumes of smoke and flame forced their way out. The tug put up a water wall and used the wind to carry the mist but unfortunately it never got close enough to be effective... Shame.
                  Attached Files
                  As always, too many christians and never enough lions.

Comment

The fire hit the second floor within an hour and slowed for about the same before the main door gave in. Window frames fell out and crashed in front of the building. God bless the duty watches and fire fighters they earned their two bob tonight. There must have been five hundred people watching from Cobh.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hope everyone stayed safe........ Nasty business.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by armedboarder; 12 March 2008, 02:26.

Comment

As I left cobh at about 1.00am, the flames have died down but the building appears gutted. There seems to me small fires still lighting within. The bigger concern however,is the wind blowing east, onto the remaining 2 intact blocks.

This is how they should look.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

A long night ahead yet as the heat must have been in the hundreds , and tg the other buildings did not self ignite lets hope it can be rebuilt as with the steel gone the island was getting its character back to when they were built in the 18th century,, was the building empty or did it contain stores,, still..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                            A long night ahead yet as the heat must have been in the hundreds , and tg the other buildings did not self ignite lets hope it can be rebuilt as with the steel gone the island was getting its character back to when they were built in the 18th century,, was the building empty or did it contain stores,, still..
                            I think it was 19th centuary. Interesting to note that of all the six blocks, this one differed in that it had a wooden stair case. All the rest had stone. In the aftermath pic, one can just make out the frame of the hoist over the stair well. Sad!

Another point I noticed was that the fire tug 'Gerry O'Sullivan' would normally have been able to cover the fire from the water, but as the westerly winds were so strong, it just took the waterjets to the east, which made it useless. Even when she manovered behind Orla at the Oil Wharf, it was still a fruitless endevor. Strange too to see the lights on, on the lower floor at the UCC offices while the floors above were an inferno at the hight of the blaze.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Test Pilot; 12 March 2008, 09:30.

Comment

The Six Victualling Houses were built From 1806-1822. I think the latest fire happened in one built in 1810.

"The victualling yard was constructed between 1806-22 including the creation of fine new wharves on the north and east shores. The most prominent buildings were the six great storehouses built alongside the new wharves – three facing north (Nos 4, 6 & 8) and three aligned north : south and facing east (Nos 9, 10 & 11). These were accompanied by living quarters for the supply and medical officers and staff, houses for the Chief Surgeon and the Naval Storekeeper, coopers and other workshops, mast houses and a floating pond, stables, water storage tanks, slipways and hospital facilities. "

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X