Fire in haubowline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Surprised to see how much of the 2nd floor still remains, in addition to the crispy looking beams of the top floor
    Look at the metal(?) stairs in the second photo which superficially looks intact.
    The walls don't look too badly scorched either.(apart from the windows).
    The problem will be with cracks and the smell will have penetrated the plaster and nigh impossible to remove.
    Still surprised how the ground floor windows and doors remain intact too.
    Well it proves fire burns up. The real problem for the ground floor will be water damage and structural damage from stuff falling down.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Yeah, this block was the only one with a steel internal staircase. The others were stone.

I'm open to correction on that though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yeah, this block was the only one with a steel internal staircase. The others were stone.

I'm open to correction on that though.
        Sorry lads, this building definately had a wooden stair case. The steel frame shown in the picture, is a support for a hoist. This frame used to pass up through the center of the WOODEN stair case.

Regarding the 'Marine Barracks' or 'Vitualing yard', does anyone have the definative answer?
        I do recall seeing the large cooking area underneath, with large open fire places. Was it for feeding troops or processing meat?
        Last edited by Test Pilot; 30 March 2008, 18:00.

Comment

Regarding the 'Marine Barracks' or 'Vitualing yard', dos anyone have the definative answer?
          I do recall seeing the large cooking area underneath, with large open fire places. Was it for feeding troops or processing meat?
          always wondered what was behind those walls, anyone got an answer as to what it was used for and maybe why its not been used for 'years.? thx
          Last edited by Goldie fish; 30 March 2008, 20:07.

Comment

Originally posted by techman1 View Post
            always wondered what was behind those walls, anyone got an answer as to what it was used for and maybe why its not been used for 'years.? thx
            I t was once used as a sailmakers loft and sail repair area and was described as dangerous and we used to play football in there during recruits it was then all blocked up in the early 80s as holes appeared to the lower levels and it is also a protected building the red brick building beside it was once a guard room.and ended up as a place where the dockyard workers used to get paid in the good old days of cash..

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
              I t was once used as a sailmakers loft and sail repair area and was described as dangerous and we used to play football in there during recruits it was then all blocked up in the early 80s as holes appeared to the lower levels and it is also a protected building the red brick building beside it was once a guard room.and ended up as a place where the dockyard workers used to get paid in the good old days of cash..
              By the red bricked building, did you mean the engine house, which housed the steam engine for the Haulbowline light railway? Next to what was the old 'Pound'.

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                By the red bricked building, did you mean the engine house, which housed the steam engine for the Haulbowline light railway? Next to what was the old 'Pound'.
                up a bit further than that and inside the wire fence at my last time there

Comment

Originally posted by rosser
                  Underneath on the Block 6 side there are stores for dangerous chemicals I'm told but I dont know much about it and that may not be the case now.

I do know the local RDF wanted to use it as a gun park for the BOFORs and their other transport so they wouldnt have to transit to Cork every time they want to use their gear.

Great Photos TestP, did you take them yourself?
                  Thanks Rosser for the comments - yes I was lucky to have the opertunity to take them.
                  Regarding the space below this building, they were always a damp location possibly because of the nearby caption tanks in the center of the building and the roof being in a bad state. But I always wondered why they were used as a store at all, as the metal drums always suffered. A bit like going in for a tin of paint and only getting the handle!

While I think of it, there was one artifact which I believe was the last reminant of the Haulbowline railway, still in place until recently. It was the weighted lever used to change the points on the railway tracks outside block 6. I can see from the photo, that new steps have been placed on front of the main entrance to the HQ, where they were located. I wonder if the points have been covered or scraped or were they preserved?

I wonder also if the wooden bell tower beside the 'square' building - marine barracks- sail loft - or vitualing yard, is still there. Like wise the gas street lamp at 'Top of the Hill' near transport. Has that gone also?

In the Block 4 pic, one can see the paved area in the bottom of the photo, (all be it with a trench cut through it at some stage). These huge slabs of stone extended over towards the oil wharf. But they only covered a certain area - what were they put down for?
                  Last edited by Test Pilot; 1 April 2008, 00:24.

Comment

Could be something to do with whats under them?

Comment

Latest word from the base, MPs are looking for those who they Believe responsible for the fire.
                      Anyone who has seen either O/Sea Maguire or A/Sea Patterson should contact the MPs immediately....

Ahem..

Comment

We had a maguire on the Eithne....he was from wexford..would have been used to the smell of campfire..wood bedding etc....
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Latest word from the base, MPs are looking for those who they Believe responsible for the fire.
                          Anyone who has seen either O/Sea Maguire or A/Sea Patterson should contact the MPs immediately....

Ahem..
                          Are you serious? Or is it a wind up! If not, it might be prudent not to name people at this time. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
                          Last edited by Test Pilot; 10 April 2008, 09:56.

Comment

Yes it is a wind up. Maguire and Patterson?

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                              Are you serious? Or is it a wind up! If not, it might be prudent not to name people at this time. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Are you serious?
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Yes it is a wind up. Maguire and Patterson?
                                Fu** it! In with both feet! Dah! Ok well done you caught me! I suspect you nearly had Murph too!
                                Last edited by Test Pilot; 10 April 2008, 10:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X