No announcement yet.

Fire in haubowline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a legal requirement under the FSA 1981 as amended.
    Thought as much, thanks for the clarification.

I remember years back a fire on a navel ship Michel Mc Intyre from Offly got a D.S.M for bravery during the incident

That was at sea. Peadar Tumulty also got one.
    Not an attempt to undermine the work of the guys involved but Fires at sea are more common place that is often reported.

We had two on Eithne in the one week, both engine room related and quite serious.First one was a bit scary with some hilarious moments, second one again had its funny moments We also had a helo that caught fire, I was fire crew on the helideck the same day.

Jerry Duffy was the kiddie the first and second fires.

Aisling had a fire in the Chippies workshop, I was on Stand Too the same day and ran to the Oil Wharf before the fire tender got there!...and John Carney and Wayne Boston did set fire to the training office...fires in Haulbowline and on ships......just part of the job.

Now if all of this is too much of a coincidence...no it wasn't me.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• [QUOTE=Seanachie;353938]Thought as much, thanks for the clarification.

Does the Local Authority Fire Service have the right to enter Military Installations for the Purpose of Firefighting or would the Miltary have the right to refuse entry for any reason. I am lead to believe even the Gardai cant enter a military installation without being invited in and are only there at the behest of the military powers

Comment

• [QUOTE=apc;354377][QUOTE=Seanachie;353938]Thought as much, thanks for the clarificatio

Under the 1981 act the fire brigade have unconditional power of entry to all lands buildings etc re fires.Would take a fearless CO to keep fire brigade out it the mag was in danger of going off.

Comment

• [QUOTE=danno;354394][QUOTE=apc;354377]
          Originally posted by Seanachie View Post
          Thought as much, thanks for the clarificatio

Under the 1981 act the fire brigade have unconditional power of entry to all lands buildings etc re fires.Would take a fearless CO to keep fire brigade out it the mag was in danger of going off.
          I understand that but does that extend to Military lands/installations, have the military the right to refuse entry.
          BTW if the mag was in danger of going off I dont think the Fire Service would be too keen in going in

Comment

• @apc, I understand that the Fire Brigade have attended and dealt with gorse fires on Military Ranges and asked permission afterwards.

regards
            GttC

Comment

• [QUOTE=apc;354416][QUOTE=danno;354394]
              Originally posted by apc View Post

I understand that but does that extend to Military lands/installations, have the military the right to refuse entry.
              BTW if the mag was in danger of going off I dont think the Fire Service would be too keen in going in
              & the expert firefighting private 3 star & 2nd Lt will be more than qualified to fight it?!
              The individual who prevents the firefighting experts (on land) from entering a military establishment would be very foolish. imho.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dogwatch;354423][QUOTE=apc;354416]
                Originally posted by danno View Post

& the expert firefighting private 3 star & 2nd Lt will be more than qualified to fight it?!
                The individual who prevents the firefighting experts (on land) from entering a military establishment would be very foolish. imho.
                I understand that they would be foolish to refuse, but what I want to know is can they legally refuse.
                As per the Fire Services Act a Fire Authority can enter any land/premise for the purpose of firefighting even if not involved in the Fire, but where they are refused they call on the Gardai to enforce the Act as the Fire Authority are not in a position to use physical Force

Comment

• [QUOTE=apc;354431][QUOTE=Dogwatch;354423]
                  Originally posted by apc View Post

I understand that they would be foolish to refuse, but what I want to know is can they legally refuse.
                  As per the Fire Services Act a Fire Authority can enter any land/premise for the purpose of firefighting even if not involved in the Fire, but where they are refused they call on the Gardai to enforce the Act as the Fire Authority are not in a position to use physical Force
                  Are you not bact to the "civilian In uniform" syndrome ie unless in time of hostilities etc everybody must submit to civil law.

Comment

• Great news, 13 years since the fire in Block 4, a tender competition has been launched to upgrade and refurbish block 4.
                    DoD are currently, in 4 seperate tenders, seeking:
                    1. Architect. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                    2. Quantity surveyor. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                    3. Structural Engineer. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                    4. Services engineer. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                    No mention of an actual refurb construction team yet, but this is the first step.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      Great news, 13 years since the fire in Block 4, a tender competition has been launched to upgrade and refurbish block 4.
                      DoD are currently, in 4 seperate tenders, seeking:
                      1. Architect. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                      2. Quantity surveyor. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                      3. Structural Engineer. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                      4. Services engineer. https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rw...RS_SIMPLE&PS=1
                      No mention of an actual refurb construction team yet, but this is the first step.
                      Well there goes any increase in the capital budget. Refurbishing that is going to be an utter balls and a money pit.

Comment

• Unless they build inside the shell of the old structure. Can't see how using the existing structure is possible at all.

Comment

• I expect BAM Construction will be a leading contender for the project , historical buildings are a speciality of there's .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Whoever is already working on block 6,8 And 9 would have a practical advantage too.

Comment

• And here we are.
                              Great news. gov.ie - An Tánaiste and Minister for Defence approves €7.8m in funding for Naval Service accommodation (www.gov.ie)

There was an assumption that the intensity of the fire may have impacted the characteristics of the stonework, them being limestone, but the experts did their work and discovered the fire burnt through with such speed and ferocity, it never reached the prolonged intense heats needed to turn rock into powder. Renovation will be relatively simple, as no internal structures remain from the original building.
                              It will be great to see life back in block 4 again.

Comment

• A beautiful waterfront property with a harbour view ,what's not to like....my contribution for the recruitment campaign.
                                Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Working...
                                X