Carrier. Watch this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier. Watch this.

Only for those with good Internet connections, I'm afraid.

PBS sent a bunch of cameras aboard USS Nimitz for the full duration of a six-month deployment, and had full access to everyone, and anyone they spoke to could say anything.

They ended up with ten one-hour episodes. I've seen 8 so far on the TV, and they're being put online the next day. This isn't a "History Channel" programme about the hardware, this focuses 100% on the crew, including the screw-ups, the disaffected, and the hard-chargers. Obviously some of the people interviewed are out of the Navy now, or life is going to be pretty harsh for them.

Well worth watching.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Man, That is shit hot! Great post dude!!
    Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

very good..

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
        very good..
        watched first episode.. a lot of moaning from the women about noise., and a lot of panic about the man overboard.. it is definitely worth watching but typical american navy of one man one job and must be very ghetto orientated.. as for ringing daddy at home about the sentence she got ,,, oh is this for real...

Comment

"Ghetto orientated"?

I don't know if I'd use 'panic' for the man overboard. The XO was certainly right pissed at the sailor who took his sweet time checking in with his division, and I'd wager justifiably so. There's a confirmed man overboard later in the series, given the response of the battlegroup, you can understand why they don't like to muck around with people who deliberately create false alarms or fail to say "Hey, I'm here" on time.

The first three or four episodes are perhaps more 'controversy-oriented' than the later few, focusing on the problems, political differences, 'social aspects' (eg homosexuals), then the series settles down and just focuses on daily life. There's one episode almost entirely focused on the chaplains, for example. An important but understated part of the community.

NTM
          Last edited by California Tanker; 4 May 2008, 16:22.

Comment

Its a damn good show. Seems more like the UK style of Military documentaries. Not always towing the party, gung ho line. concentrating on the ordinary people at the heart of it rather than the high tech equipment and successes. Shows the crew to be real people rather than robots, as some elements of the media would like you to believe. I liked the "high school" comparison. The crews are very young, considering the responsibilities some of them have.
            Reminds me a lot of the show the RN made some years back. "Shipmates?" Followed one of the ships during deployment forrowing the Tsunami.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Having watched 9 out of the 10 episodes, I see now that it is no longer available for viewing in my region or geographical area for contractual reasons.

Aww.

Comment

That kindof sucks.

Episode 10 was the Tiger Cruise (The kids and families go aboard in Hawaii and sail on the ship to San Diego), and the return home. That squadron XO does his last cat shot. The LT in charge of the cats has his kid shoot his boots off the ship. Do you want me to tell you what happened that Ordie with the pregnant lass?

NTM
                Last edited by California Tanker; 14 May 2008, 06:44.

Comment

Carrier : Royal Navy version

Channel 5, commencing 9:00pm 19 May.

Comment

Good thing I watched it as quick as I could so!! Brilliant production. Kick ass sound track to the series! Anyone know where to get the listings of it?
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                      Channel 5, commencing 9:00pm 19 May.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6940

Will it have aircraft deployed?:wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        Will it have aircraft deployed?:wink:
                        Now thats a very good question!! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
                          That kindof sucks.

Episode 10 was the Tiger Cruise (The kids and families go aboard in Hawaii and sail on the ship to San Diego), and the return home. That squadron XO does his last cat shot. The LT in charge of the cats has his kid shoot his boots off the ship. Do you want me to tell you what happened that Ordie with the pregnant lass?

NTM

Comment

Did anyone watch Warship on Channel 5 last night?

Part of the programme showed one of the Rolls Royce Olympus engines being replaced on Illustrious out in the Indian Ocean.

Comment

Working...
                            X