Govan shipyard crane snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Govan shipyard crane snaps

Good to hear no serious injuries or even deaths.

An 80 tonne crane at a Govan shipyard has snapped while carrying out routine operations.

BAE Systems confirmed that three employees were involved in the incident which happened at the company's site on the Clyde at about 0800 BST.

One man is being treated in hospital for minor injuries while two others were treated for shock.

The Health and Safety Executive is carrying out an investigation into the incident.

A spokeswoman for BAE Systems said the jib of the crane snapped while it was being lowered for routine operations.

She confirmed the crane had passed its annual statutory inspection in March.

The incident involved a crane operator and two shipwrights, one of whom went to hospital as a precaution. The other two men were treated at the scene.

The spokeswoman said: "The Health and Safety Executive was notified immediately and will investigate the incident with the full support of the business.

What am I missing here?? Interesting story ok but what has this got to do with the Irish Navy and Navy Reserve?

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
      What am I missing here?? Interesting story ok but what has this got to do with the Irish Navy and Navy Reserve?
      Why did you not call the following other threads into your point aswell, that as you quote

" What has this got to do with the Irish Navy and Navy Reserve "

Marine structures other than ships

Carrier watch this

NATO ships off scottish coast

HMS Tyne in town

Modern Pirates

New USCG cutter

Etc etc etc.......

Maybe you should ask Admin to create a seperate section on other marine related issues?
      Last edited by pmtts; 5 May 2008, 23:28.

Comment

Agreed, there have been a lot of general maritime topics not specific to the Irish navy. Was not my intention to single you out in particular. Just seems the Navy section has been dominated of late with non NS topics.

Originally posted by pmtts View Post

Maybe you should ask Admin to create a seperate section on other marine related issues?
        Sounds like a good idea to me. Even a thread along the lines of the one for us Aerosexuals in the Air Corps section might be a start.

Comment

The section is "Navy and Naval reserve". Not specifically "Irish Navy and Irish Naval reserve".Naval architects work in dockyards. I think its relevant. But what would I know.

I think this website already has enough subsections as it is.(37 public ones). Thats almost one for each active member.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

This is your show Goldie and your call, but I would have to counter what you say and point out that the "Navy and Navy Reserve" section is a subsection of "Defence Forces" which itself is a subsection of "Irish Military Online Discussion Board". Look at the top of the page:

IMO Discussion Board > Defence Forces > Navy & Naval Reserve

That to me suggests Irish Navy. People get admonished for going off topic in a thread let alone an entire section.

A simple "For All You Navalsexuals Out There" would cover everything.

Just a suggestion. I have nothing further to add to this thread nor do I want to start a pissing match.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
              This is your show Goldie and your call, but I would have to counter what you say and point out that the "Navy and Navy Reserve" section is a subsection of "Defence Forces" which itself is a subsection of "Irish Military Online Discussion Board". Look at the top of the page:

IMO Discussion Board > Defence Forces > Navy & Naval Reserve

That to me suggests Irish Navy. People get admonished for going off topic in a thread let alone an entire section.

A simple "For All You Navalsexuals Out There" would cover everything.

Just a suggestion. I have nothing further to add to this thread nor do I want to start a pissing match.
              Jetlock, If all the strictly none Defence forces postings were removed, would it not make the overall interest in the site a little less interesting, to both members and the public. A little sparse perhaps?

In my opinion postings on matitime affairs ARE related to the Naval Service, as we have encountered, interacted and worked alongside other martitime agencies. So its not unusual for Naval personel to have other maritime interests. The same would apply for the Air Corp also.

I'd like to say that it's not just 'Goldie's show' as you put it, it also belongs to the other contributors who are, or have been, part of the Defence Forces and who bring world attention to this site and to what the Services are about. After all, most of them contribute financially to the site, so why not let them have their say?

If you look at other forums outside of the IMO, none of them that I am aware of, limit their memberships to a certain catagory of membership and they all post threads to either side of the mainstream topics.
              A simple 'for all you navalsexuals' thread would just add clutter to what is already a streamlined and effective layout.

I respect your view piont, Jetlock, Just adding my own.
              Last edited by Test Pilot; 7 May 2008, 13:02.

Comment

"navalsexuals"

Its Aquasexuals!
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

The site actually has nothing to do with me. I am merely a long time contributor.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    The site actually has nothing to do with me. I am merely a long time contributor.
                    Sooooooooo!...................... Who has it to do with!
                    By tha way Victor, Jetlock coined the original phrase, not me.
                    Last edited by Test Pilot; 6 May 2008, 19:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X