Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damo de muff diver
    replied
    What course did you do to be come a diver? Did some misread your application for Driver Course perhaps?
    At what point did you realise you weren't going to be a driver?
    [/QUOTE]

I will have you know young man,I was an excellent driver of gemini`s,searider`s,boarding boat`s,liberty launch`s and the occasional ship
    Never crashed any of them.

The only thing that I wanted to do in the Naval Service was be a diver,did my Ship`s diver course in 1982 first one run in Ireland
    Did S.A.R. diving course in 1985 in England

I remember when I rejoined Eithne after NCO`S course in 1987 and trying to teach you lot boat skills.
    It would have helped if ye knew your left from your right. :confused:
    I remember certain seaman(now retiring soon ,changed branch E/A) crashed into the ship.
    All that open water ,one ship and he crashed into it.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Nah we always had problems with the Sonar ..it went Ping..as opposed to Pinga...maybe that was the problem solved after all these years, maybe RACAL/Plessy should have watched the Cruel Sea then they would have known it went Pingaaaah instead of Ping.

I really liked the gunnery & diving ones
    What course did you do to be come a diver? Did some misread your application for Driver Course perhaps?

At what point did you realise you weren't going to be a driver?

Leave a comment:

• damo de muff diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I see the problem. The machine doesn't go PING!!! It goes PINGGGAAAA!!!

Have you never watched the Cruel Sea? The first 30 years of the Navy is based on it.... except for submarines and sinking ships of course...
    Watch it ? I lived it !
    You are just after bringing back memory of training films on Spike Island(old R.N. films)
    I really liked the gunnery & diving ones
    As long as they attacked in black & white we wre alright. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I see the problem. The machine doesn't go PING!!! It goes PINGGGAAAA!!!

Have you never watched the Cruel Sea? The first 30 years of the Navy is based on it.... except for submarines and sinking ships of course...

Leave a comment:

• damo de muff diver
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Nice to see your memory is returning damo.. you really hit the nail on the head with that observation
    Well i have to say I was jealous,when I joined and became a Seaman,I was asked "Would you like to become a Radar Plotter or a Gunner?
    "Radar Plotter please"says I
    So I became a Gunner :confused:
    When I got sent to the Eithne they said"There is a course available for anyone who wants to be a Sonar Operator"
    I duly applied"I want to be the one who operates the machine that goes PING!!!!!"says I
    So I was sent on the first courses for the armaments on Eithne.
    So now I was a more informed Gunner. :confused::confused:
    And now all these years later I still bear the mental scars of never having been"The ONE who operated the machine that went PING!!!! "

P.S.Again I can only offer my sincere apologies to the nail.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    We know it was tea,that and a bit of batch loaf.
    That was all you talked about if we got on the east coast and there was a chance of us going into Dublin,home to mammy for home-cooking and batch loaf
    Nice to see your memory is returning damo.. you really hit the nail on the head with that observation

Leave a comment:

• damo de muff diver
    replied
    Originally posted by marloy View Post
    who said it was tea
    We know it was tea,that and a bit of batch loaf.
    That was all you talked about if we got on the east coast and there was a chance of us going into Dublin,home to mammy for home-cooking and batch loaf.

How jealous we all were of you,you were the one who operated" the machine that went PING!!!!!!!!!!"

Leave a comment:

• marloy
    replied
    if i remember correctly marloy was one of the few who got a 'live' unidentified contact on sonar douring the Brits Operation Purple warrior in 1987, it was reckoned to be a Soviet sub watching on the excercise that duely 'legged'it when Marloy pinged him.

And he never even spilt the tea.!

We never had difficulty fiding our dinners, they were in the ratings mess along with all the rest of our meals but getting the bicycle down the staiwell used to proved trickey enough.

Bicycle was better employed for getting around the flight deck..check out the photo attached.
    who said it was tea

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Sonar!!?? For what did the NS have sonar? Looking for yer dinner, was it?
    regards
    if i remember correctly marloy was one of the few who got a 'live' unidentified contact on sonar douring the Brits Operation Purple warrior in 1987, it was reckoned to be a Soviet sub watching on the excercise that duely 'legged'it when Marloy pinged him.

And he never even spilt the tea.!

We never had difficulty fiding our dinners, they were in the ratings mess along with all the rest of our meals but getting the bicycle down the staiwell used to proved trickey enough.

Bicycle was better employed for getting around the flight deck..check out the photo attached.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 14 August 2008, 17:36.

Leave a comment:

• marloy
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    regards
    GttC
    a bit of entertainment when the telly wasnt working:wink:

Leave a comment:

• damo de muff diver
    replied
    Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    regards
    GttC
    For your information the sonar was to help locate the bicycles so we could cycle home for our dinner. According to the popular hymn. :wink:
    If I got a pound for every time I heard that when I was in the Naval Service,I would have 3 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• GoneToTheCanner
    replied
    regards
    GttC

Leave a comment:

• marloy
    replied
    I was always known for my'walkman' nver my musical abilities..although your singing ability was often subject to debate.

Bit of Trivia.. can you rememeber who did have a banjo?

The shoot on Aisling was the only time I actually fied the Oerlikon as it made complete sense to send people straight from a 40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikon course straight to a ship that had neither.
    did my first shoot on emer and like yourself sent to eithne and then was put on sonar so much for being a gunner lol. mind you the ops room was always dry and warm.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Only joking, you never had a bango.
    I was always known for my'walkman' nver my musical abilities..although your singing ability was often subject to debate.

Bit of Trivia.. can you rememeber who did have a banjo?

The shoot on Aisling was the only time I actually fied the Oerlikon as it made complete sense to send people straight from a 40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikon course straight to a ship that had neither.

Leave a comment:

• damo de muff diver
    replied
    I did my SG 3 shoot on Aisling and first round.. broken 'face piece' Broken part stoppage ..what an introduction to gunnery.
    [/QUOTE]

Just as well all that noise it is bad for you apparently.
    Now I know my memory is not what it used to be but what I do remember is you couldn`t hit a bull in the arse with a bango. :wink:

Only joking, you never had a bango.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X