Problems for the Kiwis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems for the Kiwis

Ships monthly reports this week that the Kiwis are in trouble with their newer purchases

" The First of the New Zealand Navy's inshore Patrol vessels have failed basic safety checks

Rotoiti ,which was already behind schedule ,was refused fianl certification by Lloyds because of a number of deficiences.

Critics have clamed the Otago, the firts of the firts of the two new off shore Patrol vessels has also failed to gain certification but the NZ government has already said that all seven patrol vessels will be in service by the end of the year'

Me thinks all is not well down under and there maybe a report some where soon..keep your eyes peeled.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

The kiwi navy has been actively recruiting from the RN for the past few years now presumably to man up the new ships they have bought, any signs of them poaching from the Irish Naval Service?

Only ask because my "expression of interest" email got sent of yesterday to both the kiwis and the Aussies.

Comment

I know of aguy who did 21 here and 'transfered 'to the Aussies a few years back..2 to be precise, and kept his rank.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        I know of aguy who did 21 here and 'transfered 'to the Aussies a few years back..2 to be precise, and kept his rank.

A girl i was in recruits with transferred to the RAN in 2004, kept her rank too. Did 2 years on a sub and got promoted to an L/S. No NCO's course required!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
          A girl i was in recruits with transferred to the RAN in 2004, kept her rank too. Did 2 years on a sub and got promoted to an L/S. No NCO's course required!!!!
          dont think theyd have the space to run one on a sub

Comment

Originally posted by marloy View Post
            dont think theyd have the space to run one on a sub

Very humorous........

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
              Ships monthly reports this week that the Kiwis are in trouble with their newer purchases

" The First of the New Zealand Navy's inshore Patrol vessels have failed basic safety checks

Rotoiti ,which was already behind schedule ,was refused fianl certification by Lloyds because of a number of deficiences.

Critics have clamed the Otago, the firts of the firts of the two new off shore Patrol vessels has also failed to gain certification but the NZ government has already said that all seven patrol vessels will be in service by the end of the year'

Me thinks all is not well down under and there maybe a report some where soon..keep your eyes peeled.
              Tenix has let New Zealand down, not building the ships to code. One of the major problems I have mentioned before, using the wrong insulation. Instead of using the proper fire retardant insulation, cheaper insulation was used.

Face it, the Australians have not built many ships recently, Lloyds has changed its guidelines and codes, and the shipyard hasn't kept up. The workers used the wrong insulation, among other things as well, not knowing they were installing undercoded insulation.

New Zealand on the other hand is suffering from this incompetence. A full year will have been wasted refitting out these ships to code. Does this mean the navy doesn't like the ships? No, the navy wants these wonderful ships. Its all a matter of building to code.

Comment

Surely the Navy involved would have had surveyors on site to check the quality of the insulation prior to it s installation?

Comment

It'll degenerate into the same old round of finger-pointing, squabbling and he said, no I didn't shite which gave the NS one P31 instead of two...
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                    It'll degenerate into the same old round of finger-pointing, squabbling and he said, no I didn't shite which gave the NS one P31 instead of two...
                    regards
                    GttC

Valome was a basket case when the P31 was being built, The older workers in the shipyard had got the smell of redundancy in the air, and went out of there way to mess up the viablety of the yard, and succeeded in doing so.

Comment

Valome was a basket case when the P31 was being built, The older workers in the shipyard had got the smell of redundancy in the air, and went out of there way to mess up the viablety of the yard, and succeeded in doing so

Don't forget to add a few managers to that group.

Comment

Van der Puil

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Verolme.

All the heavy industries in Cork had a problem that they had been protected by the state and after we joined the EEC some of those protections were no longer there. Verolme, Dunlop, Ford, Mother's Pride all went in the space of 2-3 years. Natural Gas was a double edged sword that saw Marina converted and Aghada built, but for a loss in the coal trade in the port. That Irish Steel stayed on as long as it did was a surprise and NET at Marino Point only got started in the early 1980s, but its gone itself now.
                          Last edited by Victor; 30 August 2008, 22:43.
                          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Mother's Pride
                            never really thought of Mothers Pride being a 'heavy industry'

Comment

I disagree. It was only following the Entry into the EEC that Verolme relied on state contracts to keep going. All its newbuilds from 1976 on were Irish, as it failed to compete with the international market, due to its facilities, and its building methods being outdated.

The "coal trade" was a dead duck by then anyway, industrial coal was a relic from the 1900s, and was replaced with the newly emerging Container trade.

As for ford and dunlop, They, like many others in the UK, found it impossible to compete cost effectively with Japan, whose economy was by now thriving, having been rebuilt by Post War American dollars.
                              NET/IFI was very productive throughout its time in Marino Point, but failed because its emissions were inexcusable, and its product was no longer necessary. Farmers used to get EU grants to pump fertiliser into the ground, however as a result of that, much of it filtered via drainage and streams into the aquaculture, and into the food chain.
                              It is no loss to the area. Only when it closed could most of the region(an athsma blackspot) breathe again.
                              But this has nothing to do with the Project Protector.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X