No announcement yet.

Woman makes Irish naval history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the caption for No 3 should read, "get a haircut!".
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Nice picture John top class as always from our Galway reporter.

Did anybody inform the senior rate from the eginerring dvision his branch flash is up side down. The two blades should be upermost, ot a single one.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

oops!
        Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
          Nice one J. So the new camera paid off. Was Brian miffed that you got in before him?
          ya! still using the same Fuji camera, I found it so hard to get a decent shot as there was no room on the quay! I was really surprised no one thought of erecting a screen or even some flags, it was a little tight with the cars and trucks passing a foot or so from the back of the chairs, it was nice to see office workers opposite the ship give the new skipper loads of support, they had posted messages on the windows, anyway best of luck to her.. a pretty good ship handler I hear from pilots..
          "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

can i ask why she took command in galway is just because the ship is twinned with galway?
            But there's no danger
            It's a professional career
            Though it could be arranged
            With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
            If you're out of luck you're out of work
            We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Thats exactly it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Does anyone know about a possible upcoming programme being made by RTE, I was told there is one in the pipeline and it may feature the LE Aisling?? this hailed from a very reliable source..ex navy officer who works very close to me in Galway!!
                "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

Does anyone know about a possible upcoming programme being made by RTE, I was told there is one in the pipeline and it may feature the LE Aisling?? this hailed from a very reliable source..ex navy officer who works very close to me in Galway!!
                  You might even get a starring role given your connection with Aisling.

haven't heard anything about it.

The ex-naval officer I assume is one head of water safety who is an absolute gentleman, My regards to him.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

hmmmm.

i thought something that historic would have happened in Haulbowline...
                    But there's no danger
                    It's a professional career
                    Though it could be arranged
                    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                    If you're out of luck you're out of work
                    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

I came across TG4's Mná Na Mara tonight. I just saw a few minutes of it. Looked interesting, following a female L.E. Roisín officer. The programme is likely to be repeated.
                      You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

Repeated sunday Night.

Comment

Lt Cdr Orlaith Gallaghar recently took over command of L.E. Emer, according to a recent series of articles in the Evening Echo. Good to see that Roberta is no longer the "one and only".

However she will have a busy time Keeping Emer going. One of the engineering officers is also female(since when have they had 2?)

Comment

12 years on, and i read today that Roberta has been promoted Commander, becoming the first female in the Irish Naval Service to wear scrambled egg on the peak of her cap.

Delighted for the Service, and the individual in question.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

It comes just a couple of weeks after Sub Lieutenant Tahlia Britton broke the glass ceiling by becoming the first female diver in the navy's history

I'm sure Ma'am will be just delighted that the examiner used a photo of her when she was newly commissioned.
                              Female senior officers cap looks well. Better photo than one examiner used).

I'm just still in shock that she joined in 1995. Was it really that long ago?
                              Am I old now?
                              Last edited by na grohmiti; 5 September 2020, 00:36.

Comment

Another chink in the glass ceiling today. First woman to reach the rank of CPO.

Comment

Working...
                                X