Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Navy' training at Army Barracks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 'Navy' training at Army Barracks

    Up until the 60's many navy personnell were engaged in training at Mc Donagh Barracks at the Curragh which is an Army Camp. To name just one course available at that time was in 'Radio' which on completion achieved the 'lead/ tell' grade.
    Some of the guys set sail with the Merchant Navy (Irish Shipping) from Cobh immediately on completion. How could this have been organised and is the option of further training via this route still available.

  • #2
    Ballincollig was the training base for PNCOS course and SNCOs during the 80's so no suprised there
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

    Comment


    • #3
      You are probably speaking of the w/t operator. This was back when much of marine radio was still based around Morse(surprisingly not that long ago). Indeed merchant vessels of a certain size had to go to sea with a Marine Radio officer. Since the advent of VHF and Satellite communications, the Radio Officer is no longer a requirement.

      Before they started training in the curragh, they used a building in Cork for training, which just about still stands, in Tivoli, just opposite Parc Ui Caoimh.After that, all training was done in the Nautical Department of Cork RTC in Bishopstown. The Marine Radio officer course gradually became marine electronics.
      However if you wish to operate a marine radio transmitter/reciever of any type, you need a licence, from the Dept of Communications.


      Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        However if you wish to operate a marine radio transmitter/reciever of any type, you need a licence, from the Dept of Communications.
        Which requires a course at NMCI I presume?!

        Comment


        • #5
          From my understanding, the cost of a marine VHF license has rocketed this year from was it about 80 euro to over 200? Or have wires been crossed?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
          Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
          Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
          Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

          Comment


          • #6
            There are some exemptions, e.g. low power units.
            Last edited by Victor; 29 October 2008, 14:04.
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

            Comment


            • #7
              So it has gone up *grumble*. Can't bloody well afford one now.. *Grumble grumble*

              You'd think, given that it's a safety thing, licenses would be cheap....
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't forget, its not just the licence you are paying for, but a qualification, to say you can operate it responsibly.


                Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We were offered the course as an add on to the theory course and told the course cost X amount, but the -basically what I can gather to be an "Issuing fee"- costs an extra something ridiculous.

                  Also, a license is a qualification in itself, is it not?
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                  Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                  Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                  Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not if its a dog licence...


                    Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      You are probably speaking of the w/t operator. This was back when much of marine radio was still based around Morse(surprisingly not that long ago). Indeed merchant vessels of a certain size had to go to sea with a Marine Radio officer. Since the advent of VHF and Satellite communications, the Radio Officer is no longer a requirement.

                      Before they started training in the curragh, they used a building in Cork for training, which just about still stands, in Tivoli, just opposite Parc Ui Caoimh.After that, all training was done in the Nautical Department of Cork RTC in Bishopstown. The Marine Radio officer course gradually became marine electronics.
                      However if you wish to operate a marine radio transmitter/reciever of any type, you need a licence, from the Dept of Communications.
                      What happened to the careers of guys who trained in this particular field after it was made obsolete.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Billy View Post
                        What happened to the careers of guys who trained in this particular field after it was made obsolete.
                        Now running competitions against txt spk kiddies.
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Many still work as radio operators for coast guard services, or offshore platforms. Many more upskilled to become radio/radar technicians.
                          The radio operator is still a requirement, however morse as a means of communication ceased with the Introduction of GMDSS.
                          No doubt TP would know more about this carry on than I would.


                          Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X