Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge drugs bust off south-west coast

06/11/2008 - 16:51:15
    A yacht with 1.5 tonnes of cocaine on board was seized off the south-west coast today after authorities swooped on an international drugs trafficking ring.

Three men, believed to be European, were detained on the vessel, thought to be en route from the Caribbean with an illicit cargo worth hundreds of millions of euro.

The boat was being brought to shore in west Cork under armed guard after navy, customs and gardaí swooped in international waters.

The massive seizure compares to Ireland’s largest ever drugs haul – 1.5 tonnes and valued at €440m – recovered last summer off the Cork coast after traffickers’ boats capsized during a storm.

It is understood the Irish Navy brought three men to shore today where they were arrested.

The operation was based on intelligence from the Lisbon-based Maritime Analysis and Operations Centre set up to tackle drugs shipments across the Atlantic, mainly high grade cocaine, from South and Latin America.

Smugglers have also been using west Africa as a staging post before shipping to Europe.

Navy, gardaí and customs launched a joint operation targeting the trafficking gang earlier this week with the drugs bust lined up for several days.

Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said: “It is very important that Ireland plays its role in the work of the Lisbon centre.

“This bureau leads the fights against those trafficking cocaine into Europe and consequently into Ireland.”

Give job by all agencies involved.

The old international waters immunity for criminals is a thing of the past!.

Comment

Combining forces, crossing international, and occupational borders is the only way to beat the trafficers. If the consignment came directly from the Carribean, we are dealing with major Players.

Congrats to all involved in this successful operation.

60foot Yacht.
      €500m worth is the current estimate. That'll change.
      160m south of Mizen by L.E Niamh, and the crew of the yacht were brought ashore by another Naval Vessel.
      Last edited by Goldie fish; 6 November 2008, 19:03.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I thought at first, Ireland had a contiguous zone claim. I read no claim is in effect.

Under what jurisdiction was the seizure carried out.

Comment

Who are you asking?

Comment

Well done to all concerned

The Naval guys should get buckets and buckets loads of praise for this
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              Who are you asking?
              Anyone of can answer the question squire :wink:

It's just a curiosity question.

Comment

Best people to answer are Dogwatch/Farel'/Ocean but if they are out there, involved, they may be reluctant to answer.
                Maybe.
                200 south of mizen is safely in European EEZ waters, so I'm surmising, that given the mention of the lads in lisbon, it was a europe wide operation.

Comment

Fair play.

Comment

I can't help but think... Sell it on damnit, sell it on....

How many EPV's would that get the Navy?

(I know, I know this is never going to happen)

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                      I thought at first, Ireland had a contiguous zone claim. I read no claim is in effect.

Under what jurisdiction was the seizure carried out.

Vessel can be detained with first receiving permission to board from the registered country of the vessel.

Comment

However in this case, the vessel is non commercial, so presumably has no country of registration, per se.

Comment

Nice one.

Naval Service pays its own way again.

160 miles is within the 200 m EEZ so no probs we can board and search if required.

Given that the NS were probably operating on information recieved from Interpol or some such international agency the paper work was well in order before boarding.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

This haul was no doubt destined for the mean streets of Europe

I firmly believe that not only Ireland but the whole of Europe

owes our Navy / Gardai and Customs a big big thank you
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

agreed, well done to all concerned, boarding a boat 200 miles in the atlantic cannot be an easy task, Navy earned their pay today (not that they dont any other day)

Comment

Working...
                              X