No announcement yet.

Eugene Ryan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unknown factor is the influence the Army still have over senior officer promotions. They have an empire to protect, after all. They won't promote someone who would upset that empire with talks of increasing the fleet size etc....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Totally overshadowed by the man of the moment.

Absolutely not. Having stood alongside him on the after deck that day I can tell you he was outstanding. Overshadowed...? Robinson was on the bridge, obviously, and did an exceptional job, thoroughly deserved the DSM,
      Tully's job was simply different but none the less important. 39 bodies were retrieved that day and he over saw the retrieval of them all and the safety of all involved. At no point did he ever raise his voice or force any body to do what they weren’t comfortable with. There were people on the flag deck, or in there bunks, in shock he left them alone, senior NCO’S laughing at rating’s up to their eyes in shit while refusing to help. He cleared them off the deck. I served alongside some pretty useless officers, as we all did, panicking windy screamers I wouldn’t trust to feed my goldfish.

To this day I’m glad it was Tully who was there and not some other gobshite with stripes. Whatever happens in the promotions game he will always have my respect for what he did, and didn’t do on that day.

Comment

Discussion over.......

MM has just been selected as the next Capt. NS
        Last edited by Jolly_Jack; 2 December 2008, 00:20.

Comment

Tully's job was simply different but none the less important. 39 bodies were retrieved that day and he over saw the retrieval of them all and the safety of all involved. At no point did he ever raise his voice or force any body to do what they weren’t comfortable with. There were people on the flag deck, or in there bunks, in shock he left them alone, senior NCO’S laughing at rating’s up to their eyes in shit while refusing to help. He cleared them off the deck. I served alongside some pretty useless officers, as we all did, panicking windy screamers I wouldn’t trust to feed my goldfish

that alone speaks volumes on the man. Thanks for the insight and only the side of things that those who were there will know.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Jack View Post
            MM has just been selected as the Capt. NS
            Brilliant! A very good and capable man. I wish him well knowing that the Service will be a better place because of him.

Comment

Fantastic news. Great for the Naval Service.

But who is going to get the Flag job............................................

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                i would put my money on mark m anyone agree..
                Did you put money down?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Did you put money down?
                  I should have pushed harder to get some takers but when you know someones ability it tells you the answer he was the only officer that rang me before i retired and wished me well in the future .... well done to him

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                    I should have pushed harder to get some takers but when you know someones ability it tells you the answer he was the only officer that rang me before i retired and wished me well in the future .... well done to him
                    Same here. I called to his office to thank him just before I retired, but he was away. I left a verbal message with his 2 IC (PO'D) and a few days later received a realy nice email from MM. A good capable guy!

Comment

Congratulations and best wishes to Commander Mark Mellet DSM on his promotion to Captain NS.

He is a very fine officer and a worthy exponent of the service. He deserves no less.

He was course officer on my Gunnery course many years ago and a true gentleman...always good to sign a half day pass on a friday.

the human touch as the lads have shown
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                        Absolutely not. Having stood alongside him on the after deck that day I can tell you he was outstanding. Overshadowed...? Robinson was on the bridge, obviously, and did an exceptional job, thoroughly deserved the DSM,
                        Tully's job was simply different but none the less important. 39 bodies were retrieved that day and he over saw the retrieval of them all and the safety of all involved. At no point did he ever raise his voice or force any body to do what they weren’t comfortable with. There were people on the flag deck, or in there bunks, in shock he left them alone, senior NCO’S laughing at rating’s up to their eyes in shit while refusing to help. He cleared them off the deck. I served alongside some pretty useless officers, as we all did, panicking windy screamers I wouldn’t trust to feed my goldfish.

To this day I’m glad it was Tully who was there and not some other gobshite with stripes. Whatever happens in the promotions game he will always have my respect for what he did, and didn’t do on that day.
                        here here, H.T was and I imagine still is an excellent officer, I was also there very much so on that fateful day 23rd June 1985...... his main quality was that he dealt with everyone on a 1-2-1 basis, no bulll and you felt you had a connnection with him. he was also a very decent and reliable man to talk to if you were having any problems, I hope to see him get promoted in the near future.
                        Last edited by Galway hooker11; 3 December 2008, 22:22.
                        "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

Speaking of Officers, I saw Gerry O'Flynn on the news earlier. I didn't realise he had retired.
                          He's head of the Irish Fishermans association nowdays.

Anyone else see the Irony in that?

Comment

Yeah saw Gerry on the news laughed at the irony.. nice bloke.

Comment

Working...
                            X