Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Rank Question

Folks,
    Years ago, the Naval Base was a simpler place.
    The FOCNS was the FOCNS, and he stayed in Dublin.
    His number 2, Who held the rank of captain(NS), Held the appointment of OCNB&D, and looked after Haulbowline, and all that happened within.
    Below that, you had Commanders who held easily divided appointments, such as OCND, and OCNB, etc
    But all has changed. FOCNS stays in Haulbowline now. His 2i/c is still a captain though.

Without venturing into dangerous ground, What are these HQ appointments known as these days?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Believe it or not the term used was OCNBAD as opposed to OCNB&D.

there was so many swapping of appointments back in the good old days we were usnsure of who held what with many persons holding posts in Dublin and not seeing 'treasure island 'for years on end.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 24 November 2008, 22:18.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

He should actually be a Rear Admiral.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        He should actually be a Rear Admiral.
        Oooooh Er and other associated Carry On Sailor noises
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
          So, if there is only one Captain, how do we justify the rank of Commodore?
          How many Colonels does the air Corps have?

Hedgehog.. Behave! Their are grown ups watching.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
            A Rear Admiral is an OF-7 - the equivalent of a Major General. I was of the understanding that we didn't have the required number of ships to justify a Rear Admiral.

Why are you dressed as an RN Sub Lt?
            Same reason you are dressed as a bucket of shit.

Rear admiral and Commodore are interchangable, depending on which navy system you follow. The star on the sleeve of our Navy seems to suggest we follow the US model, rather than the RN one.(The Army mission to the USA in the 1930s also suggests this). The RDML replaced the OF-7, same as a Brig Gen. In fact it is more unusual to find a Commodore in charge of a Service.

You understood wrong. Linking a rank to the number of ships went out with the days of sail.

I'm also pretty sure we already had this discussion.

Now Back to my original question PLEASE!

Comment

How many Colonels does the air Corps have?

Hedgehog.. Behave! Their are grown ups watching.
              At least one anyway, the OC of Casement is a Colonel, I think.
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Doesn't the star signify a Republic
                ?

Correct, as does the bobbin on the white cap!

Commodore rank was originally related to fleets or flotillas less than twelve vessels.

The command structure became as it is to allow to have MES as the rank of captain. He could not have
                equivalent rank to O/C commanding NS which is drawn from Executive branch.

Engineering branch has one captain who currently is Capt Paul Keaney.( A direct entry at Lt. Level if my memory serves me correctly.)
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Its been a while since i heard this question but if memory serves me right the reason hes a commodore is that if he was a rear admiral he would out rank the chief of staff

Comment

A Rear Admiral is the equivalent to a Major General, or D COS
                    Which would give the Navy disproportionate rank for a structure their size.

Comment

See post 9.

Comment

See post 9.

The NS Boss is an OF-7 which is a MAJOR GENERAL.

Comment

The NS Boss is a Commodore which is the equivalent to a Brigader General (See Defence Act 1954 as ammended)

Comment

There was a time when the NS had two commodores.

Comment

I wonder are both still alive? I know one is living not far from me, happily enjoying his retirement, while his son carries on a family tradition.

Comment

Working...
                              X