No announcement yet.

Naval Rank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a possibility the Naval Service could have a DCOS or even the COS itself.I think there may have been a D COS once but I am not sure. The Army heads would out number the NS & Aer Corp 1 Star Generals. If the right person came along it could happen I suppose.

Comment

Cmdre Liam Moloney held the position of Assistant / Deputy Chief of Staff in 1986-87 and thus caused the need for a second commodore ,Cmdre W.Brett, to be promoted to the rank. Up to that Brett had held the rank of captain and was OCNBAD.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

He was Asst Chief of staff. The Position no longer exists. The A/COS was normally held by a person at the rank of Brig Gen.

Liam Moloneys Predecessor, P Kavanagh was also a Commodore. He was the first to hold that position. He also held the Position of FOCNS while he was a Captain.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          He was Asst Chief of staff. The Position no longer exists. The A/COS was normally held by a person at the rank of Brig Gen.

Liam Moloneys Predecessor, P Kavanagh was also a Commodore. He was the first to hold that position. He also held the Position of FOCNS while he was a Captain.
          p kavanagh also held the iron cross german medal

Comment

OK you have spiked my curiosity. That one has to be explained

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
              p kavanagh also held the iron cross german medal
              He was master of a merchantman in WWII, that rescued German submariners, for which he received the Iron Cross. He went to Kiel, Germany one year; caused the PV he had travelled on to become the most senior ship, due to his medal. Both he & the ship were treated like royalty. The story goes that a young German Liaison Officer came onboard & was honestly asked if it would be appropriate if the medal was worn. The LO nearly collapsed, asked him to wait ten minutes, left the ship & returned with a new LO, a Rear Admiral!

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                My good man. The Assistant Chief of Staff appointment still exists, and is held by a Brig Gen. I'll tell you which one later.
                I look forward to your reply.

So does the current ACOS.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                  Brig Gen Chris Moore.
                  Correct - a former CO of 8 Inf Bn when he wore metal crossed swords...
                  He got the Brig Gen for the Liberia trip, so presumably slotted into the
                  A CoS job on return. What eaxctly does the A CoS do ???
                  Seeing as there is only one of this position, yet two D CoS positions ...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The Old ACOS was responsible directly for the Air Corps and the Naval service. There was no Deputy COS, instead there was the Adjutant General(Maj Gen)and the Quartermaster General(Maj Gen).(AG and QMG).

Comment

He was master of a merchantman in WWII, that rescued German submariners, for which he received the Iron Cross. He went to Kiel, Germany one year; caused the PV he had travelled on to become the most senior ship, due to his medal. Both he & the ship were treated like royalty. The story goes that a young German Liaison Officer came onboard & was honestly asked if it would be appropriate if the medal was worn. The LO nearly collapsed, asked him to wait ten minutes, left the ship & returned with a new LO, a Rear Admiral!
                      Could only happen to an Irish man
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

All the new departments were brought about by the review of the NS done by Price Waterhouse a few years ago. Keaney is now OCNSC, Robinson is OCNOC and Lynch is FOCNS.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
                          All the new departments were brought about by the review of the NS done by Price Waterhouse a few years ago. Keaney is now OCNSC, Robinson is OCNOC and Lynch is FOCNS.
                          in the current climate could some of these HIGH paid positions be filed as not required as it seems the ns is getting top heavy with senior officers and warrant officers all non seagoing appointments..
                          2. do officers still travel top class on trains.

Comment

If they follow civil service rules they shouldn't.

Ask yourself would you really want to top brass out at sea with you? You can't have everyone at sea.

Surely there is no more than 4 Warrant officers down there? Looked that way last time I looked at the Board inside the Senior Rates mess.

Comment

Each division has its own Warrant officer, with the Executive branch being Master At Arms by vitue of the fact that the exceutive branch is the 'senior' branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                If they follow civil service rules they shouldn't.

Ask yourself would you really want to top brass out at sea with you? You can't have everyone at sea.

Surely there is no more than 4 Warrant officers down there? Looked that way last time I looked at the Board inside the Senior Rates mess.
                                yes but for example take athlone barracks how many of equivalant rank to warrant officer would they have

Comment

Working...
                                X