No announcement yet.

Naval Rank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A better comparison would be Collins Barracks, a Brigade HQ.
    4bn have 1,
    1FAR have 1,
    1LSB have 1,
    and I'm pretty sure there is another floating about there....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Far as I recall there are five WO in the NS. Seamens, Mechs, Comms, Supplies and Electrical. Always was. Two recently-ish promoted into the rank and two due to retire in the next wee while.

As for the top ranks not being required, the White Paper on Defence didn't seem to see it that way. It seemed to open up jobs for the boys when it was implemented. There are more Lt. Cdrs walking around the place now than ever before. Or so it seems to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        If they follow civil service rules they shouldn't.

Ask yourself would you really want to top brass out at sea with you? You can't have everyone at sea.

Surely there is no more than 4 Warrant officers down there? Looked that way last time I looked at the Board inside the Senior Rates mess.

6 Warrant Officers In the NS

MAA (Seaman)
        Mechs/ERA's
        Electricians
        Comms (Commops & RRT's)
        Supplies
        NCC -Naval Computer Centre (When he retires vacancy noy being filled, possibly being re-allocated to another rank vacancy, NCC warrant officer will be Comms then)

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
          I would imagine, 2. 6 Bn BSM, and the W Bde RSM.
          I count three.

The two you quoted, plus the BSM of 4 LSB....

Does the BTC rate a BSM anymore ?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

NCC -Naval Computer Centre (When he retires vacancy noy being filled, possibly being re-allocated to another rank vacancy, NCC warrant officer will be Comms then)
            Ahh, yes I forgot about him. Easily done though. Comms WO taking over that too? Brads won't want to do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              I count three.

The two you quoted, plus the BSM of 4 LSB....

Does the BTC rate a BSM anymore ?
              Nope - just 2xCS

Comment

6 Warrant Officers In the NS

MAA (Seaman)
                Mechs/ERA's
                Electricians
                Comms (Commops & RRT's)
                Supplies
                **** me thats the equivalent of six segeant majors for around 1000 people.

There are more Lt. Cdrs walking around the place now than ever before. Or so it seems to me anyway

I noticed that, and put it down to NHQ being moved from Dublin, They used to hide out in their droves their before.

we did a bit of maths back in about 1988 which worked out that there were 175 officers in the service for around 1000 people when broken down it worked out at one person being commissioned rank .

has this changed..apart from the vast numeber of Lt CDrs milling about the place?
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  **** me thats the equivalent of six segeant majors for around 1000 people.

I noticed that, and put it down to NHQ being moved from Dublin, They used to hide out in their droves their before.

we did a bit of maths back in about 1988 which worked out that there were 175 officers in the service for around 1000 people when broken down it worked out at one person being commissioned rank .

has this changed..apart from the vast numeber of Lt CDrs milling about the place?
                  If we were comparing army ranks & structure to the NS. The Roisin carrys 38 other ranks & 6 officers. That would be like having an officer as a section commander in the army. You aren't comparing like with like.

Comment

Working...
                  X