X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    **** me thats the equivalent of six segeant majors for around 1000 people.

I noticed that, and put it down to NHQ being moved from Dublin, They used to hide out in their droves their before.

we did a bit of maths back in about 1988 which worked out that there were 175 officers in the service for around 1000 people when broken down it worked out at one person being commissioned rank .

has this changed..apart from the vast numeber of Lt CDrs milling about the place?
    If we were comparing army ranks & structure to the NS. The Roisin carrys 38 other ranks & 6 officers. That would be like having an officer as a section commander in the army. You aren't comparing like with like.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    6 Warrant Officers In the NS

MAA (Seaman)
    Mechs/ERA's
    Electricians
    Comms (Commops & RRT's)
    Supplies
    NCC -Naval Computer Centre (When he retires vacancy noy being filled, possibly being re-allocated to another rank vacancy, NCC warrant officer will be Comms then)
    **** me thats the equivalent of six segeant majors for around 1000 people.

There are more Lt. Cdrs walking around the place now than ever before. Or so it seems to me anyway

I noticed that, and put it down to NHQ being moved from Dublin, They used to hide out in their droves their before.

we did a bit of maths back in about 1988 which worked out that there were 175 officers in the service for around 1000 people when broken down it worked out at one person being commissioned rank .

has this changed..apart from the vast numeber of Lt CDrs milling about the place?

Leave a comment:

• Barry
    replied
    Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    I count three.

The two you quoted, plus the BSM of 4 LSB....

Does the BTC rate a BSM anymore ?
    Nope - just 2xCS

Leave a comment:

• YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    replied
    Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

NCC -Naval Computer Centre (When he retires vacancy noy being filled, possibly being re-allocated to another rank vacancy, NCC warrant officer will be Comms then)
    Ahh, yes I forgot about him. Easily done though. Comms WO taking over that too? Brads won't want to do that!

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    I would imagine, 2. 6 Bn BSM, and the W Bde RSM.
    I count three.

The two you quoted, plus the BSM of 4 LSB....

Does the BTC rate a BSM anymore ?

Leave a comment:

• A/TEL
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    If they follow civil service rules they shouldn't.

Ask yourself would you really want to top brass out at sea with you? You can't have everyone at sea.

Surely there is no more than 4 Warrant officers down there? Looked that way last time I looked at the Board inside the Senior Rates mess.

6 Warrant Officers In the NS

MAA (Seaman)
    Mechs/ERA's
    Electricians
    Comms (Commops & RRT's)
    Supplies

Leave a comment:

• YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    replied
    Far as I recall there are five WO in the NS. Seamens, Mechs, Comms, Supplies and Electrical. Always was. Two recently-ish promoted into the rank and two due to retire in the next wee while.

As for the top ranks not being required, the White Paper on Defence didn't seem to see it that way. It seemed to open up jobs for the boys when it was implemented. There are more Lt. Cdrs walking around the place now than ever before. Or so it seems to me anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    A better comparison would be Collins Barracks, a Brigade HQ.
    4bn have 1,
    1FAR have 1,
    1LSB have 1,
    and I'm pretty sure there is another floating about there....

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

Ask yourself would you really want to top brass out at sea with you? You can't have everyone at sea.

Surely there is no more than 4 Warrant officers down there? Looked that way last time I looked at the Board inside the Senior Rates mess.
    yes but for example take athlone barracks how many of equivalant rank to warrant officer would they have

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Each division has its own Warrant officer, with the Executive branch being Master At Arms by vitue of the fact that the exceutive branch is the 'senior' branch.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
    All the new departments were brought about by the review of the NS done by Price Waterhouse a few years ago. Keaney is now OCNSC, Robinson is OCNOC and Lynch is FOCNS.
    in the current climate could some of these HIGH paid positions be filed as not required as it seems the ns is getting top heavy with senior officers and warrant officers all non seagoing appointments..
    2. do officers still travel top class on trains.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeHotelFoxtrot
    replied
    All the new departments were brought about by the review of the NS done by Price Waterhouse a few years ago. Keaney is now OCNSC, Robinson is OCNOC and Lynch is FOCNS.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    He was master of a merchantman in WWII, that rescued German submariners, for which he received the Iron Cross. He went to Kiel, Germany one year; caused the PV he had travelled on to become the most senior ship, due to his medal. Both he & the ship were treated like royalty. The story goes that a young German Liaison Officer came onboard & was honestly asked if it would be appropriate if the medal was worn. The LO nearly collapsed, asked him to wait ten minutes, left the ship & returned with a new LO, a Rear Admiral!
    Could only happen to an Irish man

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    The Old ACOS was responsible directly for the Air Corps and the Naval service. There was no Deputy COS, instead there was the Adjutant General(Maj Gen)and the Quartermaster General(Maj Gen).(AG and QMG).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X