Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Crests - on behalf of Simon Jennings

Hi All - asked boomer to put this up for me-

I have started on a series of model Irish Naval Service vessels in 1/72, its a long term project.

I have made a start on M2 MTB, LE Maeve Flower class and might have a lead on the basis for LE Roisin in 1/72.

However the Ton and Peacocks may have to be done in 1/48 or 1/96 for accessory and plans availability.

I have all the official crests on file, but not all the unofficial ones.

I have some of the unofficial ones,
    Taz, Yosemite Sam, the new Panther on Eithne, and the Lion King - all from this sites forum.

I hope its not too much to ask users of this forum to post any other photos of them, with particular interest in:
    Pink Panther
    Wooly Mammoth (Origin of the species)
    Last Mohecan and Pepe the Skunk from Rattle and Hum.

Any shots of any of the unofficial crests would be greatly apprieciated.
    Even additional shots of the ones I currently have would be a help.

Also - and this is a long shot - any colour photos of the Flower/Ton class and ANY shots of the MTB's are really of great help

SJ
    Last edited by Boomer; 30 December 2008, 01:01.

1/72 Corvette

Best of luck on this one as colour photos are almost non existant but there are plenty of sites out there that give good colour detail reference photos.

If you are using the revel model beware of the pitfalls you find as you go along, bearing mind that the ships changed profile and classification every couple of years.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Thanks for that, but it not really complete kit build shots I am looking for .

I have plenty references for the flower class, the reason I have chosen Maeve is that, unlime the others, she has a solid main mast as per the kit, not a lattice mast like the others. Otherwise I would have chosen Cliona.

I am looking for colour shots of the Flowerd in INS service to get a better idea of weathering patterns and general scheme

But thanks again

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon

Colour pic of CM12. I have others with more detail of the decks, but I have to find them.
        Regards,

TP.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Test Pilot; 11 January 2009, 14:49.

Comment

Maybe the Isolde way down the road.
          I just got off the former Graineuaile, now Ocean Seeker with Garline, did about 6 weeks on her - including a drydock

Comment

All the flowers started out in Irish service with lattice masts and were refitted with tower/pole type masts , as I said refits were ongoing during service and it seems to be impossible to track down the same tow pictures of the same vessel in the same configuration, hence I've put the same project on hold.

Colour photographs are all but impossible to find and beware the colour schemes varied as muchas the armament , fitouts etc.

I found colour shots of a model of one of the corvettes that looks pretty good but damned if I can find it again, but as soon as I do I'll post the link.

Found it eventually.

L.E. Cliona complete with pole type mast and full weapons fir circa early fifties

Last edited by hptmurphy; 30 December 2008, 20:28.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi Hpt, I have seen your work before at mws the ARA Hercules was a great one.

Thanks for the info on the masts. I know I have that History of the Irish Naval service somewhere in Ireland, will have to hunt it up when I get home.

The attraction of the Cliona was the Yeats connection, but as you already have done it I think I will go with Maeve, first of the class and Queen of Connaught.

I also liked your CDG, although I am not the biggest fan of 1/400 - I tend to like to keep types in the same scale, and those trumpeter 1/350s are gnarley.
              Roll on the 1/350 Colossus class if anyone ever brings it out - we live in eternal hope.

At the moment though I am locked in 1/72 for ships and 1/49 for planes, with 2 x 1/32 in the cupboard.

Anyway, getting off point - folks - please, the skunk, the pink cat, the wooly elephant, the Indian and all other unofficial NS crests if you please

I might even do a 'what if' kung fu fooey in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                All the flowers started out in Irish service with lattice masts and were refitted with tower/pole type masts , as I said refits were ongoing during service and it seems to be impossible to track down the same tow pictures of the same vessel in the same configuration, hence I've put the same project on hold.
                Now I am loath to contradict HPT and I do so with some trepidation. However it is my understanding that the lattice masts replaced the pole masts and not the other way round.
                ________
                Chevrolet vega
                Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 14:04.

Comment

The pole in front of the bridge was replaced by a lattice with radar aft of the bridge tho some had the pole aft.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hi Hpt, I have seen your work before at mws the ARA Hercules was a great one.
                    Its not mine , just some research I dug out.

I have the model waiting in the wings to be built but uyp to the publication of Mr. Griffiths photo haven't been brave enough . Lots of info out there onIIrish Flower class corvettes but very little of it in colour and as we know. grey isn't simply just grey!

Now I am loath to contradict HPT and I do so with some trepidation
                    I atke the contradiction to be valuable in pointing out that even I am fallible, thank you
                    Of course Smithy and Goldie are correct in saying that pole predated lattice type mast, but both types were fitted to all three corvettes while in Service.

Also worth noting Macha ( I Think) was a flotilla leader and as a result had some extra deck housing.

Comment

The various configurations of the Flowers are confusing at best.

Comment

Eithnes Current Crest

Eithnes Current Crest A jaguar , refective of the Jaguar RHIBs she carries.

Ciaras 'Yosemite Sam'
                        Last edited by hptmurphy; 31 December 2008, 20:03.

Comment

Thats Yosemite Sam DSM...

Comment

Aisling's crest attached. Chingachgook I guess.
                            Attached Files
                            Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

Thats fantastic - many thanks.
                              All thats outstanding now are

Skunk (Emer)
                              Pink Panther (Eithne, Old)
                              Wooly Mamoth (Dierdre)
                              Road Runner (Ciara I think)

A close-up of taz from P-51 would be nice.

Again, Sincere thanks to all for your help and contributions

Comment

Working...
                              X