No announcement yet.

Retirement of Longest Serving Naval Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He joined the Army Apprentice school in 1959 at the age of 15. He Actually served just shy of 50 years. What is the Maximum retirement age for a Lt Cdr/Commandant?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

whatever age he is.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        whatever age he is.
        There is somthing amiss here, Even joining the school at 15 the max he could serve is 45 yrs, must go at 60, or can Navy personnel serve for longer?
        it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
        Winston churchill

Comment

Hi there
          Given that he would have joined on a "Twelve", 9 yrs service and three Reserve, and then kept reenlisting until he got a Commission and then started a whole new contract, his pension must make interesting reading.Betcha he won't get his full allocation of meggals (as Dubs pronounce it) til he's 90.
          regards
          GttC

Comment

Starter for 10 !

...speaking of all things Red Arse, and looking over your shoulder, who would be next in line for the most time served? I was asking recently about the Trooper O' Shea, he must nearly havet he 50 done, assuming he's still about that is.

Any one else we can name (still breathing unaided and able find their mouth with a spoon that is) that would have signed up in the era of Tom C and is stil serving.

Fingers on buzzzers...

Comment

Marine Engineering officers can serve till they are 65. That is in their contracts which are slightly different from the Deck Ape Officers. Ginger actually got a 6 month dispensation from the COS to being him up to 50 years in the DF. He should have gone during the summer. Obviously the top brass thought it was a landmark and a one off case.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                Starter for 10 !

...speaking of all things Red Arse, and looking over your shoulder, who would be next in line for the most time served? I was asking recently about the Trooper O' Shea, he must nearly havet he 50 done, assuming he's still about that is.

Any one else we can name (still breathing unaided and able find their mouth with a spoon that is) that would have signed up in the era of Tom C and is stil serving.

Fingers on buzzzers...

Next longest serving, in the NS anyway, was Joe Reville the WO/EA who retired last year or so. He had done 45 years. Joined as a 15 yo in the App School in Naas. And the finest and most decent NCO I have ever encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
                  Next longest serving, in the NS anyway, was Joe Reville the WO/EA who retired last year or so. He had done 45 years. Joined as a 15 yo in the App School in Naas. And the finest and most decent NCO I have ever encountered.
                  fully agree but sad there was no brass band for joe.. as for tom thats another story,, somebody mentioned a book...once upon a time there was a happy man

Comment

The retirement age can be extended at the request of the flag officer.

Should the Flag officer decide that the service would benefit from extending the mans term of service beyond manadatory rank retirement he may do so.

A relative of mine had his term extended by four years at the request of the FOCNS at the time.He had done 40 years by the time he retired, some would reckon it wasn't a moment too soon, some would say other wise but he would be remembered by some here.

Not sure but I think the manadatory retirement age for LtCDRs or Commandants is actually 55 but can be extended out to 60 under certain conditions as outlined above.
                    Last edited by hptmurphy; 12 January 2009, 22:33.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

In what capacity was he serving ie was he still going to sea ?

Can't get the link to work - crap computer.
                      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        Not sure but I think the manadatory retirement age for LtCDRs or Commandants is actually 55...
                        In the RDF it's 57
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                          Tech Officers serve to 65, Army, Air Corps, and Navy.
                          Far too old and staying that long including ncos stops upcoming young men who are eager for promotion and having new ideas are stopped in their tracks as once they get into the cushy number im here for the long haul syndrome they will not move on .. anyone in the navy of the eighties knew a few of them

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                            Far too old and staying that long including ncos stops upcoming young men who are eager for promotion and having new ideas are stopped in their tracks as once they get into the cushy number im here for the long haul syndrome they will not move on .. anyone in the navy of the eighties knew a few of them
                            Plenty more of them hanging around still. All the senior NCO vacancies are held up by dinosaurs.

Comment

anyone in the navy of the eighties knew a few of them
                              In the early 80's it would have been possible to see a few 'Emergency' Service medals on parade..assuming you could dig the wearers out of their offices.

I was on a guard of honour for Paddy Hillery in Carrigaline in sept 1986 100 men.. Lt's Guard of honour

There was a L/WR on the Guard who people thought had retired years before hand and were genuinely amazed to to see on the parade.

Given that..how they actually found 100 guys plus a security party in sept of 1986 is still beyond me..those were the days when I had to work with a lawn mower and a strimmer...hated cutting grass ever since.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

A friend of mine, Ex A/EA got a phone call a month after he left the NS telling him he was on a GoH for the President the week after. The person on the other end got confused when my mate suggested that while he would have no problem doing it, He would have to check with his boss first to see if he could get the time off.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X