Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infantry to NSR?

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster hehe hope you don't all pounce on the newbie lol be gentle!!!

Ok so

I'm like, a private in the infantry army reserve and I'm a bit bummed cos it's not really what I expected but like, I stuck it out til now! I was looking at other corps to transfer to (Who isn't these days?! Like ALL my recruit platoon is gone!!!) and then I thought hey! What about the NSR?

I've been sailing all my life so I already have things like the SRC VHF license and a cert that has a lot of navigation and seamanship stuff covered in it (one of the yachtmaster theory ones ).

I'm also in college full time and work during the summer so I don't know how that would figure with training?

So I have a couple of questions about the NSR if anyone can answer them please? Pretty please? hehe :redface:

Ok the basics:
    1. Would I be bumped straight back to recruit?
    2. Is it possible to transfer directly across?

And then the what's life like ones hehe!
    3. What is the training REALLY like really really like? I got a lot of spin when I was joining the infantry and don't want the same to happen again. Any stuff I can see is either recruiting type and SO biased and doesn't give ANY real picture of what the NSR does or is seriously out of date.
    4. What are camps like?
    5. Do you go on the ships with the navy? If yes, what do reserve people do on the ships?
    and last but not least
    6. What is the Dublin unit like?

Thanks in advance guys!

We had a Inf 3* transfer to NSR a few years back, he was regraded as the equivalent of a 2* (Able Seaman I think) he is now an LS (equivalent of a Corporal). The reason being a lot of the training the NSR do is VERY different from any Corps in the AR.

You have to do 2 courses, I think they are survival at sea and damage control/firefighting, these have to be completed either annually or every couple of years.

IMHO the NSR is what integration should aspire to be in all put the technical jobs a trained NSR seaman is interchangeable with a NS seaman.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      We had a Inf 3* transfer to NSR a few years back, he was regraded as the equivalent of a 2* (Able Seaman I think) he is now an LS (equivalent of a Corporal). The reason being a lot of the training the NSR do is VERY different from any Corps in the AR.

You have to do 2 courses, I think they are survival at sea and damage control/firefighting, these have to be completed either annually or every couple of years.

IMHO the NSR is what integration should aspire to be in all put the technical jobs a trained NSR seaman is interchangeable with a NS seaman.
      Ordinary Seaman is the rank you are looking for

infantrygirl_ie, welcome aboard (pun not intended )

I am almost certain that on the DF Intranet, there is a syllabus for transferees from the
      Army Reserve to the Naval Service Reserve.

Obviously, you will have to ask the Cadre staff to get a look at it.....
      ..... maybe someone else can do it on your behalf, the NSR Cadre Staff,
      for instance......... Best of luck in Navy Blue........ !!!
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

HI Infantrygirl,
        I might be able to help you out,
        1. Would I be bumped straight back to recruit? No you drop a rank on transfer though you might be put in with Recs to catch up on the basics for a while.
        2. Is it possible to transfer directly across? Yes see above.

And then the what's life like ones hehe! Its as good as your Unit make it, as with the AR the NSR differs from Unit to Unit.
        3. What is the training REALLY like really really like? I got a lot of spin when I was joining the infantry and don't want the same to happen again. Any stuff I can see is either recruiting type and SO biased and doesn't give ANY real picture of what the NSR does or is seriously out of date.[B] [B]Again you get the good with the bad most NSR Units are active throughout the year[/B
        ]4. What are camps like?We don't have camps anymore, you are edither at sea, on a course in the Naval Base or tasked by the Navy to under take a role in your home port.

If you are interested then go and take a look at the Dublin Unit, see what it is like, at sea you will do the same job as your PDF counter part (at seaman level),I suppose the NSR offers different rather than better training then the AR,
        Everyone from the FOCNS to the newest NSR Rec must complete PST /DCFF to go to sea, sea survival and fire fighting /damage control.
        If you are in college and work in the summer all we ask is that you give the best commitment you can.
        Last edited by popeye; 19 January 2009, 11:51.

Comment

That actually sounds pretty good, thanks for replying

Going to take some time to think about it - don't want to rush into things too quickly and maybe regret it :redface:

I saw on the unit locater that the Dublin unit seems to be split between the brugha and Dun Laoighre... So if I wanted to have a look, do I have to go on a particular week or is there always someone in both places?

Comment

Dun Laoghaire is where their launch is berthed thats all! They are in the Brugha (close to the gym & 2 AD).

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Dun Laoghaire is where their launch is berthed thats all! They are in the Brugha (close to the gym & 2 AD).

Why dont you just send the CHineese forces a Map

with a bih NSR are here arrow
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
              X