Awol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awol

Whats the story with awol in the NSR? Is there a publication anywhere i can read? What is AWOL in the reserve sense. When does it a apply and how can it be avoided? Has anyone ever been charged for it before?

Originally posted by newby View Post
    Whats the story with awol in the NSR? Is there a publication anywhere i can read? What is AWOL in the reserve sense. When does it a apply and how can it be avoided? Has anyone ever been charged for it before?
    You can only be AWOL (AFAIK) once you are on full time training (i.e; at the Minister's
    expense)

As for info, the usual sources apply:

Defence Act 1954 - found on www.irishstatutebook.ie

DFR R5 - found on www.rdfra.ie, under the "Regulations" section

Hoping it's not YOU in the sh1te.......
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

So just say for fun there was a NSR member who went traveling for a few years abroad. Would that be considered awol? Im guessing not since its not part of active duty. As a reserve am i duty bound to do a certain amount of training a year becuase if so the said individual wouldnt have done any in year 2008.

Comment

I will bite, you will not be charged, just contact your Unit and apply for a discharge, or if you are able to prove that you are willing to commit we might even take you back.
        Please remember you are addressed as Ladies and Gentlemen in the Defence Forces not boys and girls for a reason.

Hope this helps
        Last edited by popeye; 20 January 2009, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by newby View Post
          So just say for fun there was a NSR member who went traveling for a few years abroad. Would that be considered awol? Im guessing not since its not part of active duty. As a reserve am i duty bound to do a certain amount of training a year becuase if so the said individual wouldnt have done any in year 2008.
          A few years ?

Definitely you are Non Effective, you possibly might have been DISCHARGED in your absence,
          depending on how close you were to the end of your TOE
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

TD speaks the truth - you are probably not a member of the NSR anymore!

Comment

AWOL in the reserve sense would only apply during periods of full time training. In the "hypothetical" situation described above, the reservist would be posted to the non-effective list the 1st of January after he failed to meet the minimum training criteria (48 hours), pre 1 October 2005 he would be discharged TOE (Term of Enlistment) if his term of enlistment (3 years for AR and 4 years for NSR) occured when he was on the non-effective strength. Under DFR5 (New Series) you will be discharged if you are two years on the non-effective list (regardless of when your TOE occurs)

Comment

No worries you are back to being a full-time civvie,

so you can stop hiding under the bed

every time their is a knock on the door.

Comment

They may want the uniform back though. Very difficult to get back once you have been declared non-effective without being non-effective for a good reason.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    They may want the uniform back though. Very difficult to get back once you have been declared non-effective without being non-effective for a good reason.
                    Not in my experience (not personal) there is only 1 form that needs to be filled out.

Comment

Not in my experience (not personal) there is only 1 form that needs to be filled out
                      Problem is who collects the uniform..while the minister may want it back and there is a form to request it there is no method to collect it or re enter it into the stores system of accounting..discussed before in depth and proven...so whats the point?
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Where does PW kit come from then?

Comment

Okay my mum relaid the message of getting a letter. It is possible it didnt say absence with out leave as she was trying to recall what it said. Im sure its not a biggy though I will be very upset if I have been made non effective. The last time I was on active duty was before I left in november 2007.

If I have been made non effective will I be able to get back in?

Comment

Yes go down in person and tell them in the Coy office you want to be retaken on the effective strength (and pray you haven't been discharged). There is 1 form to be filled out.

Comment

Shouldn't be PW kit..system doesn't allow for it.Has been highlighted as an issue ongoing and most Q's won't touch it witha barge pole.

I reckon you have some sort of local arrangement going on there that isn't standard..the only place for PW kit in the sysytem is in the recycling compound.

Yes go down in person and tell them in the Coy office you want to be retaken on the effective strength (and pray you haven't been discharged
                              Might be a little difficult given that he is off on a world tour somewhere at the moment ..lol

Okay my mum relaid the message of getting a letter. It is possible it didnt say absence with out leave as she was trying to recall what it said
                              I'll bet it said non effective as opposed to AWOL..one would be an administrative discharge while the other would involve disciplinary proceedings..and NSR units would be very slow to go down this route.

AWOl would be the wrong charge anyway as you stated you would be out of touch for a while and by releasing this information you are technically guilty of desertion as opposed to AWOL but given you weren't on annual training its neither.. Non Effective..quite simple to rectify..but you will have to contact the unit..maybe in writing if you are still away.

This time of the year it tends to be more common to write off people as clearing the books for the new year is the common practise.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X