Older patrol vessels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older patrol vessels!

What are the older patrol vessles like? In terms of accomodation they cant be great, and even thiking of the noise and amount of maintenance required!

Anyone any expirience of them! Given that the Emer, Aoife and Aisling are 30 years old now, even with refits, they are surely uncomfortable and due to be replaced?

The P21 (I think) class (ie the 3 vessels named) are due for replacment between 2008 and 2010.

I think I remember reading that the berths on these vessels for junior ratings is 4 per cabin. I think the Niamh & Roisin are 2 per cabin.

Open to correction on that from NS/NSR.

As for the Ciara & Orla (Peacock class CPVs) try a search for females & peacocks.

Comment

Served on Emer 82 to 84
      Junior rates 2 & 3 berth cabins and I seem to remember one 4 berth down on lower accomodation deck
      4 berth cabins were on Eithne
      My first 9 months on board I bunked in the most for`d cabin in the coffin (a bunk above storage locker right beside the bosuns for`d stores) could be bad in rough weather
      After that got moved to a 2 berth cabin
      It could be bad but it was better than the minesweepers
      at least you could have some privacy
      What do you mean abandon ship
      Are they taking requests?

Comment

On the Emer, Aoife and Aisling on what is called the tween deck there are two & three berth cabins. the three berths were occupied by the the comms ratings and the eng room ratingings on Aisling in my time, the remainder on the tween deck were 2 berths. Down below on the Orlop deck were three two berth cabins on the aft side of the watertight hatch, and two 2 berths and one four berth on the other side of the hatch. The four berth was called the trainee cabin but was mostly occupied by stewards and cooks as these were non watchkeeping posts. The two berth all the way f'ord on the orlop deck had scarcely enough room to stand up for one person, and was a horrible cabin in a pitching sea as were the two three berths on the Tween deck.
        Last edited by blaisec; 8 February 2009, 21:14.

Comment

Sevred on Eithne two differnt periods, two cabins 1986 to 88 conditions were good in comparison to the PVs rating were four to a cabin with adequate space.

Grub was good with adequate rec space, no complaints , grub was excellent except when we had 'Debbie' Byrne and craic was mighty.

Christmas day the food quantities and quality the likes of which I had never seen before
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Debbir Byrne ?

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Sevred on Eithne two differnt periods, two cabins 1986 to 88 conditions were good in comparison to the PVs rating were four to a cabin with adequate space.

Grub was good with adequate rec space, no complaints , grub was excellent except when we had 'Debbie' Byrne and craic was mighty.

Christmas day the food quantities and quality the likes of which I had never seen before

I remember Debbie as a seaman, when did he transfer to cooks?

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Though I do remember a certain cook on Aisling whose speciality was deep fried jam sandwiches in batter. Cooked in the same oil as the fish, it was like eating fish fingers in custard. Any one remember the gentleman’s name...? or the sandwiches ?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                Though I do remember a certain cook on Aisling whose speciality was deep fried jam sandwiches in batter. Cooked in the same oil as the fish, it was like eating fish fingers in custard. Any one remember the gentleman’s name...? or the sandwiches ?
                Or George O'C cooking a christmas cake in a wooden box as he had no cake tin, on the Aoife. and burnt the lot! Smoked cake
                Last edited by Test Pilot; 9 February 2009, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                  I remember Debbie as a seaman, when did he transfer to cooks?
                  My God Doc
                  Have you never heard the story of when Debbie made coddle and put black pudding in it
                  It had the look of sheep s##t floating in the pot
                  How he made it off the ship in one piece I will never know
                  because as you know once the food was good it kept the tension down
                  What do you mean abandon ship
                  Are they taking requests?

Comment

Originally posted by damo de muff diver View Post
                    My God Doc
                    Have you never heard the story of when Debbie made coddle and put black pudding in it
                    It had the look of sheep s##t floating in the pot
                    How he made it off the ship in one piece I will never know
                    because as you know once the food was good it kept the tension down
                    That's so funny, I heard that story many times over the years and always thought, it couldn’t be true, even after the deep fried jam sambos when I thought I was unshockable. Then I heard it was Debbie and I thought...yes it can, any thing is possible with that man !

Remember when it was too rough to cook and it was soup and sambos for breakfast lunch and dinner. Sticking bowls to the tables with slices of bread, very important on Deirdre in a heavy swell unless you wanted boiled crothch !

Comment

As regards the newer types, I was a little surprised a few days back when I watched a BBC reporter being guided around the Royal Navy's new Type 45's and the crews accommodation was shown. They were evidently very happy with it compared to the older types, but still, the cabins seemed very small and cramped compared to the bit I've seen of Niamh on the RTE docu a while back.

The Peacocks are another matter though!

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                        Or George O'C cooking a christmas cake in a wooden box as he had no cake tin, on the Aoife. and burnt the lot! Smoked cake
                        Was any one brave enough to try a bit ?

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                          As regards the newer types, I was a little surprised a few days back when I watched a BBC reporter being guided around the Royal Navy's new Type 45's and the crews accommodation was shown. They were evidently very happy with it compared to the older types, but still, the cabins seemed very small and cramped compared to the bit I've seen of Niamh on the RTE docu a while back.

The Peacocks are another matter though!
                          Saw that act, they seemed delighted that there were now only 6 to a cabin, thought it was still cramped enough now tbh!

Does anyone know if any new vessels are in the pipeline or if money has been set aside for any new vessels? With the economy of the moment, its hard to know if there'll be any newbies for a long while!

Comment

The Minister sound hopeful (cough search cough engine)

Comment

As we are on the topic of cooks and ther methods, when I was attending the RTC Cork back in the day, I returned to the galley after college one evening, I went looking for the duty cook. I asked him what was for dinner. He said fish. He then went to the fridge, took out some frozen fish. then from under the cooking range he produced a pan with solidified grease in it then without turning on the heat first to melt the grease, he threw the frozen fish into the pan. Then proceeded to light the gas ring!!!

I ran for the canner.

Comment

Working...
                              X