Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swansea Cork Ferry: Almost there, need your help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetjock
    replied
    75% with a UK address? Sounds like the service is receiving very bad support locally.

I suppose the expansion of Cork Airport in recent years and decreasing air fares has contributed to more people moving to air travel.

A ferry service also needs substantial HGV business. How was it doing on that front? Not great you'd have to say given that they are targeting the tourist season next year for relaunching the service. I'd imagine that given the improvement in the road network, the shorter crossing times and better frequencies available at Dublin and Rosslare may be more attractive.

Sad to say, but I'm not optimistic that the service will survive.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    An interim examiner has been appointed to Fastnet, which has operated a ferry service between Cork and Swansea since 2010.
    The Fastnet line, which has operated a ferry service between Cork and Swansea since 2010, has been placed into interim examinership.

The route, which has received €700,000 in funding from Cork City, Cork County and Kerry County Councils, is considered a critical access route for tourists to the south west.

In a statement this afternoon, the company, which is a subsidiary of the West Cork Tourism Co-operative Society, say they are committed to the long term future of the service but say its finances have been severely hampered by the continuing increase in world oil prices.

The company apologised to its customers for giving them short notice of their withdrawal of the service.

They hope to re-commence it on 6 April 2012 until 29 September 2012, as part of a restructured business plan. Under the new schedule, the ferry would not operate between October and March.

Some 150,000 customers have used the ferry - 75% of them with UK postal address, since the service resumed in March 2010 after the co-operative raised some €3m to fund it.

The co-operative has some 400 shareholders.

The business currently employs seven full-time shore employees based in Cork and 53 full-time contracted staff on board the MV Julia.

In a separate statement issued by the three local authorities, they confirmed they will provide €150,000 in co-funding for the period of the examinership.

An interim examiner has been appointed to Fastnet, which has operated a ferry service between Cork and Swansea since 2010.

Leave a comment:

• ollie
    replied
    Talk on the radio today that the owners were hoping to run a March to Sept schedule from 2012 if they can show the examiners a budsiness plan that can work.

Hopefully the service will be allowed continue in some form

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Hard to succeed in the venture while you have tourists and people in the tourist trade actually comparing it with a flight to the UK..
    Hopefully the examinership will provide a realistic means to continue the business, but they have the big names hindering them at every turn.

Leave a comment:

• Big Al
    replied
    Ouch, http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/int...68826-Nov2011/

AN INTERIM EXAMINER has been appointed to the ferry company group Fastnet Line, which travels the Cork to Swansea route.
    All services will be discontinued with immediate effect and booked passengers will receive full refunds.
    The group has apologised to customers for the short notice of the withdrawal of their services.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Man airlifted from Swansea-Cork ferry after accident
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:21 AM

A man has been airlifted to hospital, after he was injured on board an Irish Sea ferry.

The 45-year-old crew member was reportedly hurt by a hydraulic door aboard the Swansea-Cork service late last night.

The incident happened at sea, around 10 miles south of Milford Haven.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    24/04/10 Time for a sea change?
    by Catherine Mack - Irish Times

ETHICAL TRAVELLER: Catherine Mack on responsible tourism

I WAS ONE of 10 foot passengers on Fastnet Line’s new Swansea to Cork ferry three weeks ago. And three of the other nine were my family. Then a volcano erupted – and, with it, tens of thousands of travel plans. On our return journey we were among 500 foot passengers, most in suits. The ferry staff were in shock.

As fellow passengers swapped get-me-home stories, many were astounded that we were travelling on the ferry by choice rather than circumstance. I am used to that reaction, as I reduced flying to a minimum a while back. But now everyone was getting a taster session, experiencing a little of what it is to be a green and slow traveller.

The men in suits marched up and down the corridors, as if it would help the ferry speed up. Go-with-the-flow types went on deck to gaze out at the coastline, played cards with their kids, relaxed with a pint or took out maps to see where the journey was taking them.

A Clonakilty man who had been meaning to try out the new ferry told me he probably would never have got around to it otherwise. He, like many I chatted with, loved his cabin, with its comfortable beds, crisp sheets, television and bathroom, and said he wished his kids had been there to share it with him. He was already contemplating holidays to Devon and Cornwall, unaware until now how accessible they are.

We have all heard stories of people embracing the “adventure” and coming together to help each other get home. The website I co-edit, greentraveller.com, has had a tenfold increase in traffic this week, with people needing information on how to cross Europe by land. It has been a great opportunity for us to show people the alternatives to flying.

The only downside is that many are not experiencing the real thing, with ferries and trains having to cope with exceptional circumstances. When we arrived in Swansea, for example, the suits sulked about the lack of taxis, or about the fact that the port bus waited for other passengers before heading for the station. Faster, faster, faster, they still chanted.

The slower the better has always been my chant when travelling. But it will take more than a cloud of ash to start a real sea change. One woman, a self-described package person, booked trains and ferry back home from Marrakesh when her flight was cancelled, then chickened out at the last minute, as the idea of two and a half days’ travel was too terrifying. She gave her tickets to charity and waited for the next flight – in May.

Another person I know couldn’t get back to work in London a few days into the crisis, as she was “stuck” in Ireland. Yet every ferry line had room for her. Are we still in such denial that there is sea space, and not just polluted air space, between our islands?

Like most people, I have enjoyed the cleaner blue skies and slower pace, and been grateful I wasn’t dependent on a flight for an emergency. It has been fun sharing overland travel experiences via our website with people who hadn’t contemplated it before.

If there is to be one silver lining to this cloud in the long term, I hope the powers that be wake up to a much-needed, and long-demanded, improvement in the infrastructure around ferry ports and trains, such as regular buses to ports, bike spaces on trains, car hire at ferry ports, gangplanks for foot passengers and centralised transport information online.

And perhaps those people who always laugh when I suggest a tunnel between Ireland and Britain might start thinking about the possibilities. Or is that still blue-sky thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Marius View Post
    That's a ship thing. Case there's any water sloshing around.
    Better than the Stena Adventurer, if your not in the Stena Plus lounge forget about finding a plug on the passenger decks!

Leave a comment:

• Marius
    replied
    Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
    I If you can't find the socket in the cabin, thats because its up at ceiling level.

That's a ship thing. Case there's any water sloshing around.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes
    replied
    I went to England to get a car for the better half yesterday and came back on Julia.

Overall, twas quite a pleasurable trip. It sails at 9pm, so you can have a few pints followed by a sleep and arrive refreshed to start the day on the far side. Here and there, you can see rust discolouration on the external windows but internally, the boat is is great nick. I also though that it was a fairly quiet ferry in terms of engine noise.

There was no RTE or Sky Sports so the ManU fans were a little disappointed. It does have a satellite system (news channels were on) so I'd hope that they would get the RTEs at least before the hurling and football season hits full swing. It had free wifi when alongside in Swansea but it lost the connection soon after we left. If you want to charge your phone/ipod/laptop, make sure to bring a French style 2-pin adapter. If you can't find the socket in the cabin, thats because its up at ceiling level.

They serve Murphys and Beamish but no Guiness (up the rebels!). The main currency is Euro but they take Sterling. Don't be one of the first 25 cars to arrive at the ship as you will get parked on the upper car deck and be last to leave the ship. Overall, a big thumbs up and I hope its well supported.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Sold out signs for the first time this week on new cork swansea ferry
    29 march 2010 - .(cork 96fm)

“very encouraging bookings for the easter holidays”

fastnet line, the operators of the new cork / swansea ferry say the service will have the 'sold out' sign up for the first time this week, less than a month after first putting to sea. The 'julia' is set to carry a full complement of passengers, cars and trucks into the south west region for the easter break, which the company says is well ahead of their expectations for early bookings..

Chairman, conor buckley says there's been a great response... The 'julia' hit the headlines for the wrong reasons, when a series of procedural and technical glitches caused cancellations and delays to some of her early sailings.. Ships captain, ivan walsh, says while none of the issues were remotely serious in themselves, the hold-ups were bitterly disappointing..

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Fastnet Line to receive ‘significant’ funding
    By Jackie Keogh - Southern Star - Saturday March 27th, 2010

The Tanaiste Mary Coughlan has informed Senator Denis O’Donovan that The Fastnet Line is to receive ‘significant’ funding sanctioned by Enterprise Ireland.

The funding, which is believed to be in the region of €1.5 million and of a commercial nature, will allow the ferry service from Cork to Swansea to trade throughout the upcoming tourism season and well into next year.

“By investing in the ferry in the early stages,” Senator O’Donovan said, “the Government is doing all it can to assist the fledgling West Cork Tourism Co-operative and help ensure its viability for the future.”

In doing so, the Senator said: “The Government is also seeking to safeguard the many jobs in residential, activity and leisure-related tourism businesses throughout the region.

“I also see the announcement as being a resounding endorsement of the voluntary and community effort that went into reviving the ferry service and putting it back in action earlier this month.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Senator said he was delighted when the Tanaiste contacted him and confirmed that Enterprise Ireland had given the deal the go-ahead.

Minutes later, he contacted The Southern Star and said he was sure that everyone associated with the project would be thrilled with the Government commitment, especially when one considers how big an impact the ferry service will have on the region.

“Even in difficult times,” he said: “This will be money well spent because the funding provided will help create approximately 1,100 jobs in the region and generate between €40 and €50 million for Cork and Kerry per annum.”

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Contin..
    Carol from Andover, Hampshire called for Fastnet Line to follow the practice of other carriers whereby cars with a disabled traveller can flash hazard lights in the queue at the terminal and be parked close to a lift at the car deck and also near same in a cabin. There was also need for more information and staff presence for waiting foot and car passengers if there is a delay on boarding, she stated but otherwise was well pleased with the ship itself.

Overall, several passengers remarked on the sense of space and high comfort on board the ‘Julia’ and stressed a genuine desire to see the new service establish itself in year one and succeed for the benefit of tourism, trade and the general economy of the Cork and Swansea regions. Paul O’Brien said that two thirds of bookings had to date come from the UK, many along the M4 corridor between Swansea and the southern half of England leading to London and added that there was more marketing to come.

Many Welsh people made the journey to Cork, some to view the Ireland v Wales rugby match at hostelries in Co. Cork. The oldest passenger was 90 years young at heart Richard Miles from Clarence Street, Swansea making his first visit to Ireland just for a day. He watched the rugby game in Carrigaline Court Hotel.

During our short stay in Wales, which included a quick visit to the spectacular Rhossili beach and Worm Head in the Gower Peninsula, we met Pennard Community Councillor George Nash who expressed delight at the return of the ferry, in the 14th century Beaufort Arms in Kittle.It’s hoped that the twinning link between Pennard with Passage West-Monkstown signed in 1997, can be revived as a result of the ferry’s return. Kinsale is twinned with Mumbles near Swansea and has a friendship pact with Barry and the ferry is seen as giving opportunities for sporting, cultural and business links between other centres in Co. Cork and South Wales.

Many goodwill messages have been conveyed since the Cork-Swansea sea link was restored on March 10, including those from Welsh Assembly First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones and just prior to his resignation for health reasons, Minister for Tourism Martin Cullen TD.

Brendan Keating Chief Executive, Port of Cork said: “I would like to acknowledge the great effort of West Cork Tourism Co-Op in re-establishing the ferry service from Cork to Swansea. The arrival of MV Julia into Ringaskiddy to commence her service was a memorable day and I hope it will be the first of many sailing across the Irish Sea. This service will provide a vital link for both tourism and trade to the region.”

“It’s great to see the ferry sailing again,” said West Cork based Senator Denis O’Donovan. “It’s been a long fight to get the service to this stage but from here on in we should start to see the benefits of bringing back this route. It has been a huge loss to Cork and the entire South West region since it stopped in 2006 and it was important to get it back up and running for the benefit of our local tourism industry.”

“I expect the ferry to have a major impact on Cork tourism over the coming tourism season. Our strongest tourism market continues to be Britain and this service will give many British tourists easier access to the South West. That can only be good news for our hotels, our B and B providers, our restaurants, our bars and everyone who works in the tourism industry.

“It is estimated that bringing back this route will create approximately 1,100 jobs in the region and generate between €40 and €50 million for Cork and Kerry per annum. That will have a very real impact on our local economy and the people of Cork who depend on it for their livelihoods. While there is still work to be done to secure more funding for the service, it is fantastic that we have reached this point and the ferry is sailing to our shores once more,” Senator O’Donovan concluded.

The sailing out of Ringaskiddy last Saturday was cancelled and at the time of writing, engineers were working to deal with outstanding technical faults ahead of the next scheduled sailing which was due to take place on Tuesday. All affected passengers were offered alternative travel arrangements, 50% discounts on future trips or full refunds.

Enquiries regarding the Cork Swansea ferry can be made to Fastnet Line, Ringaskiddy, Tel 021-4378892 in Swansea at 0044 844 5768831 or at www.fastnetline.com

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Thumbs up for ‘Julia’ despite setbacks on inaugural voyage
    By Leo McMAHON - Southern Star - Saturday March 20th, 2010

Conor Buckley, chairman West Cork Tourism Co-op welcomes Derek and Rosemary Abbey from Derby, the first car passengers to disembark from the MV Julia on its maiden voyage from Swansea to Ringaskiddy, Cork.

DESPITE the technical hitches, the delays and tides of misfortune, the vast majority of passengers who made the historic first scheduled voyage from Ringaskiddy to Swansea last weekend on board Fastnet Line’s ‘M.V. Julia’ expressed themselves well satisfied with the ferry.

‘The People’s Ferry’ owned by the Fastnet Line, a wholly-owned subsidiary of West Cork Tourism Co-op, offers real hope for tourism and trade in the south west region as it attempts in a practical and positive way to reverse the economic downturn and although the venture has been beset by numerous set backs, including cancellations since March 1, the strong sense of good will and determination for its success remains unwavered.

Last Thursday, March 11, the ‘Julia’ left Ringaskiddy just after the scheduled departure time of 9pm but dropped anchor for about 20 minutes just inside the entrance to Cork Harbour as a result of an electronic power failure to one of its four engines. Captained by Ivan Walsh, it managed to continue its journey to Swansea at slightly reduced speed but because of low tide on arrival at Swansea Bay, was unable to dock until 1pm.

The ferry was due to sail at 7pm on Friday, March 12 and although the inner bow door was closed, the electronic device to indicate same was faulty so Captain John Grace announced that for safety reasons, it was not possible to depart on schedule. The matter was rectified and the ‘Julia’ left Swansea on the next available tide at 1am and arrived into Ringaskiddy at 2pm on Saturday. Over 100 passengers on board were given vouchers for drinks in the Island Bar entertainment area and a complimentary meal.

Naturally, the delays on both journeys were most disappointing not only for first time passengers but also for the crew and management yet overall, as one person put it, most were “relaxed and philosophical”, being of the view that teething problems were better dealt with now rather than occurring in the high season. It was also stressed that having met its dry-docking process successfully and achieved certification and testing of safety systems, ‘Julia’ had met the strictest requirements demanded by the International Safety Management Code prior to commencing service.

Setbacks apart, the journeys both way were otherwise very smooth on board the 28 years old vessel which previously served in the Baltic Sea. ‘Julia’ has capacity for 1,860 passengers, 440 cars, 40 trucks and trailers. It has 300 cabins, extensive deck and indoor public areas, 15 kennels and sails six nights a week all year round. Pre-bookings have exceeded €1 million.

Food in the Fastnet Restaurant (head chef Sean Murphy) self-serving dining area and snack bar is excellent while the cabins (14 deluxe) are very comfortable and significantly rattle free, thereby ensuring a good night’s sleep. Good value is on offer in the shop. The crew totalling almost 80, comprised of mainly Irish and East European personnel, are friendly, very hard working and most helpful and among those we met were Paula McDougal, chief bursar; Aidan Kneeshaw, deck cadet; Sebastian and Agita in the restaurant and Victoria in the Island Bar.

Soon to be activated we’re told, are the cinema, children’s play area, televisions and casino. There is also need, I was told, for a new gangway to be provided by Associated British Ports at Swansea because until this in place, foot passengers must go through this terminal by mini bus.

Staff, shareholders and other supporters of the ferry on the inaugural voyage to Swansea included general manager Paul O’Brien; John Williams from Cardiff who has long agitated for the return of the Wales-Cork sea link and John Hosford who, along with Adrian Bagnall from Ballydehob tirelessly spearheaded the www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferrry.com e petition campaign.

I also met Dena O’Donovan, who travelled with her 89-years-young mother, Mary, from O’Donovan’s Hotel and Con and Margaret Sexton, 43 years in business at Sexton’s Caravan Park, near Clonakilty, who had their literature in place next to the reception. Impromptu entertainment on the outward journey was provided by the talented West Cork based musician Justin Grounds en route to performing in The Luminaire, Kilburn, London.

Travelling also were Marie Walsh, wife of former Minister Joe Walsh; retired Clonakilty shopkeeper Mary Harte, Tim and Bridget (nee Kingston) Brooke from Bristol who have a holiday home at Rossbrin on the Mizen Peninsula; Colin Barrett, a man with a great knowledge of ferry ships; Denis and Theresa Murphy, Blackrock who said they would like to see young people from Swansea and Cork given work experience opportunities on the ship; Conor Moloney and retired Port of Cork employee Derry Desmond, who said it was the smoothest and most silent ship he had travelled on.

Every person spoken too had no complaints about price (e.g. €319 return for a car with two passengers and a cabin on both journeys) saying it compared well with other sea route providers when one took into account the accommodation provided and savings in fuel on a round trip of 600 kilometres by road.

As with all ventures, teething problems are unavoidable but based on a casual vox-pop of passengers on both sailings, suggestions included: 1) Improved marshalling at both Ringaskiddy and Swansea vehicle waiting areas so that travellers know exactly what is going on; 2) More prompt and regular communication with passengers on board to explain delays etc., if any; 3) Large display panels detailing the menus outside the eating areas, especially for the self-service restaurant; 4) A manned on board information desk with directions and literature to help first time visitors to Wales and Ireland; 5) a review of prices on some items (e.g. €4.55 for a pint of Beamish and €2.25 for a croissant and €35 for a meal in the restaurant could possibly be reduced) and 6) generally more attention to detail.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    16th March - Update from the West Cork Tourism Co-op

“Shareholder Update Tuesday 16th March 2010
    As you know - Julia commenced her Swansea-Cork sailings on 10th March - which of course we are delighted with. You are also probably aware that, despite the thorough checks and maintenance that Julia went through both in Cork and Swansea - the initial sailings have suffered from some mechanical problems - which was very unfortunate. We suspended two sailings over the weekend in order to rectify these issues and we thought that you should be aware of the precise details of these problems.

Paul O’Brien, Co-op General Manager travelled on the sailings from Cork to Swansea on Thursday 11th March and the return from Swansea to Cork on the 12th March. Both of these sailings were significantly delayed.

On the outward sailing one of the two starboard engines developed a problem, and, while the cause at that time was unknown, the ship was stopped while a tug came out from Cork as a precautionary measure. The sailing was resumed after an hour, but the delay meant that the ferry missed the tide in Swansea and she had to wait to enter the port, so she did not reach her berth in Swansea until 12.30 p.m. on Friday. The fault was subsequently found to be an electronic problem in a governor on the engine and was rectified for the journey back to Cork.

Julia was loaded without any problem on Friday night for the return journey, but when the ramp was retracted and folded there was a failure which meant that it was unable to be locked in place. Fastnet Line engineers worked to fix the problem but were unable to do so in time to catch the tide on the way out from Swansea. The problem was traced to an electronic control of the hydraulic system and was also repaired before the crossing commenced on the next available tide which was 1 a.m. Saturday (13th March).

The crossing was made in good conditions on four engines and we made good time. However, during the crossing a fault developed in the pitch control on one of the two propellers. The propeller use was unaffected but the pitch control is used under different load conditions and sea states and is also used when berthing. Again this fault was traced to an electronic control which has now been repaired. The fault however was not repaired in time for the Saturday night sailing and so two further sailings on Saturday and Sunday were cancelled. Conor Buckley, Chairman and Padraig Fleming (founder member of the Co-Op), were due to travel on Saturday night and were able to assist our customers affected by the cancelled Saturday night sailing (who were offered free transport to Cork and return journeys via an alternative ferry company).The Julia has been out for sea trials on Monday 15th and Tuesday 16th March and with no further problems is sailing on schedule today Tuesday.

The Committee of the Co-Op held its weekly meeting on board the Julia on Monday night, 15th March and received reports from CEO, Tom Barrett and Operations Manager, Owen Barry to discuss recent events. While disappointed with the missed sailings and adverse publicity, we are heartened by the degree of support for the service expressed by the very people who have been affected. The committee plan to have a presence on board each sailing for the next few weeks to help with the bedding in of the service and to speak with passengers to know and understand first hand any issues which might arise

On a positive note - we are hearing reports from B&B and Hotel owners in West Cork that suggest that their booking for the 2010 season are already some 30% up on last season - with many potential visitors citing the new ferry service as a major factor in their holiday plans. We are confident that, with this initial bedding-in period out of the way, Julia will be able to operate to schedule and deliver the kind of service that we all expect.”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X