Warsaw Pact Nation
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Perhaps we can have a competition, guess what course hedgehog went on a jolly on and where, at a euro a guess, and donate the winnings to charity.

CRBN in Czech republic

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Mid Europe ex

Warsaw Pact Nation
          Was it sail training aboard the Polish Navy's Tall Ship "ORP Iskra"?

Comment

I will never tell at least not when my clothes are on

anyway- debate on this point is moot and non productive

Murph has opened a thread explaing the Navy to us landlubbers and

my mingie trips are taking away from his thread

sail away murph or what ever you sailors lads say
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

usetabeanera

Something to do with euromil (not the Lotto)

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Warsaw Pact Nation
                You were in Offaly?

Comment

Thanks HH

Cue perceptions what each service thought about each other back then and has it really changed.

Soldiers to us were of the variety we met in GMH, transport types and the ARW

we really didn't get to the meet the run of the mill soldier

the GMH type was the guy who was in there to 'dry out' or typically some poor bastard of a recruit like some of us who had been run into the ground and knew as little about the army as we did.... the hospital attendants were of the sort of the old style hospital porter.They were there but you never really knew what for.

used to be an ancient sergeant in Collins GMH , Harry, you got your hospital kit from him signed for it..even if you were dying..and never saw him again until you handed the kit back in.

the nurses were ..lets just say less than caring and sat in the cubicle at the end of the ward ...and that was about it really.

The Matron remined me of a transvestitie and some even had the moustache

The doctors , apart from Mary Murphy were a joke ..and Campbell the dentist ..well lets just say he never had a queue in the waiting room.

the transport types were always small guys who had undreamed of skills..they could drive and were always good for a few ballhops.

the ARW..to me they were always a youngish officer with a seasoned moustachioed sergeant in tow...they all had kit that never appeared on any 'Q's inventory and they never spoke unless you dragged it out of them..and then it was like they would only trade information... if you knew anything about boats or other shit they had limited access to ..you could ask anything..other wise you just didn't even know they were there. Unassuming type who kept themselves to them selves.

On the rare occasion we got to meet the ordinary soldier they were so in awe of 'our world' or being seasick again they were totally out of their depth but always wanted to know about things...never really mixed much with them off ships so it was really all around what we did .

the AC type we met were mostly Dauphin related , again often too sick to care that we existed , kept to themselves .

My initial impressions from the army was that it was very secular and they rarely knew anything about stuff except what they were doing at the time. NCOs were very confused by the way we worked with our own NCOs as rank was rarely worn aboard ship and it certainly didn't function like a military establishment.. no inspections, very little foramilty often totally opposed to what they knew.

I really only got to know soldiers first hand on joining the reserve and it was only then I was treated as one of their own when they found out I had been in the NS.

The uniform didn't matter, the fact I was now an invader didn't matter. the common bond seemed to be that I had once shared some of the same shit they had and tbh made a very big differnce when dealing with the Army from a reservists view point.

As said this is what I knew of the army from the NS point of view and we very ignorant of a lot of stuff guys did.There was very little crossover and probably a lot of the guys left the DF never knowing what the other services did.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                  X