replied
    great to see some good news for well done galway

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    Galway wins bid to host finish

Galway, which staged a hugely successful stopover in 2008-09, is back on the map again - this time as the finish port for the 2011-12 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race.

Galway withstood strong opposition from several rival cities in the official port bidding process to earn the right to host not only the finale but also the overall prize-giving ceremony.
    Full story here

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/news/a...310/index.aspx

Well done to all. I know it was one of the best stopovers from the last race by far. Now just guarantee the weather and its all good.

Leave a comment:

• Galway hooker11
    Galway docker

• Galway hooker11
    replied
    Vor 2011 -12

It was confirmed this week that the government through Failte Ireland are to invest 4 Million euro to fund Galway's bid as host port in the next Volvo ocean race which starts in Alicante October 2011, the race will start and finish in Europe, there is a "rumour" that it could well stop in Galway as a pit stop and then finish in either Portugal or France, the other way round would be even better! the decision is being made next week 9th Feb and the race route being announced in March. The port stopovers are being reduced next time round shortening the race time by about a month.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    new format is to but budget caps and mix the stopovers between 1 week/2week and shorter 2 day pit stops. Brazil one energy has already commited to next race.

Leave a comment:

• Galway hooker11
    Galway docker

• Galway hooker11
    replied
    Vor 2012

Galway is competing with Lorient and Lisbon, apparently about 30M Euro is required to host the event. Next June (bank holiday weekend) Galway will host a powerboat event. I read somewhere that all stops in the VOR will be for one week only.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    Galway has put in bid to hold stopover for next race. The decision will be made in March of this year according to Press / Insider info.

From talking to most of the shore teams, and personally, Galway was one of the best stop overs.

Lets hope!

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    Commander

• moggy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Doc;260387]Please excuse my ignorance in these matters, but overall how has Green Dragon done so far?[/QUOTE
    5th out of 8

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by moggy View Post
    green dragon in dunlaoghaire tomorrow at 1400 hrs as part of the volvo yacht race this weekend
    Please excuse my ignorance in these matters, but overall how has Green Dragon done so far?

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    Commander

• moggy
    replied
    green dragon in dunlaoghaire tomorrow at 1400 hrs as part of the volvo yacht race this weekend

Leave a comment:

• Galway hooker11
    Galway docker

• Galway hooker11
    replied
    thanks

thanks for the comments guys,

Leave a comment:

• johnny no stars
    Colonel

• johnny no stars
    replied
    If anyone has caught VOR fever, TG4 show a weekly programme about what has happened in the race for the previous week. Shown on saturdays, some time around 1pm.

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    well done GH 1 on the pics

I must admit when I saw your first posts I thought the site was hitting a new high

but not to worry

once agin thanks for your pics they were really well taken- informative and entertaining

a bit like myslf

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Thanks to Galway Hooker for posting the thread, despite the misgivings it has been a very imformatitive thread. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to take and post their pictures.

I would reckon the coverage offered here is second to none , well done to all involved.

Leave a comment:

• ZULU
    Teuton Foot Soldier

• ZULU
    replied
    thanks for all you effort in putting up the photos. All great. thanks for the help on the other issue too. Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Galway hooker11
    Galway docker

• Galway hooker11
    replied
    Final entry

And my final photo entry, I forgot to mention the LE Eithne was anchored at Mutton Island and was "dressed" for the occasion, great to see the flag ship there for the start.

I hope you enjoyed some of the pics:confused:

All the best

Galway Hooker 11
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X