"Tour ribbons" or Medals for ships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tour ribbons" or Medals for ships.

I was thinking after reading the posts on the Air India crash, a number of DSMs were awarded on that occasion. One of those awarded was for the Master of L.E. Aisling, Capt Jim Robinson, who will shortly retire from the Naval service.

It is generally assumed that as Officer in charge of the rescue attempts, his decoration was for the crew of the vessel, rather than just for any single action he himself carried out on that difficult day. Not saying for a moment he wasn't entitled to it of course. Him and others in the crew carried out possibly the most disturbing and unwanted, but necessary of tasks on that tragic day.

However, given that all the crew of the vessel were as involved in the operation, (as were other vessels) would it be worthwhile to award the decoration to the Vessel?
    It is common practice in other Navies, for a warship to wear its battle honours painted on its bridge wing.

I have a photo of USCGC Gallatin with a similar decoration, in addition to the usual ribbons representing her operational deployments, she also carried a motif representing her success at drug interdiction, to the tune of a snowflake for each cocaine seizure, and a cannabis leaf for each seisure of that drug.
    In effect it gives the future crews of these vessels something to be proud of, even if some of them weren't even born when the event in question took place.

So as I see it:
    Aisling, and one of the peacocks has a DSM
    Aisling and Emer have a AK47/Armalite motif
    Roisin and Niamh have a snowflake
    Niamh should have some ribbon representing her far east deployment, and Eithne should have similar for south America.
    Emer, Aoife and Aisling should have a Lebanon UN medal for the resupply cruises
    Niamh should have similar for Eritrea.
    Not to mention the long service medals the entire fleet is entitled to...
    Etc.

Any thoughts?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

This is the Idea(unfortunately Mackinaw doesn't have many drugs/arms seizures.

Comment

Good idea

Ships Crews should be recognised for what they have gone through

WHats the E and the O for
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I think the E is for a Navy recognition of Excellence. Not sure about the O.
        Meh.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think the E is for being passed Efficient in the frequent assessment of the ship and her crew in exercise. I don't think the O is actually an "O". Looks more like a crest of some sort.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...cy_competition
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Good idea

Ships Crews should be recognised for what they have gone through

WHats the E and the O for
              The only problem is that crews move on.

E iei O!

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                The only problem is that crews move on.

E iei O!
                True but if a tradition of excellence is built up on any ship the incoming crews would (hopefully!) then strive to maintain that tradition

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  ...I don't think the O is actually an "O". Looks more like a crest of some sort.
                  Looks like a painting of a lifebuoy to me
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                  X