or is there one
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Bosun?
    Usually the fella who distributes the maintenance and housekeeping tasks.

Normally a PO/Sea

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

HH

Petty Officer Seaman of the Executive branch which would roughly equate with an Infantry Sergeant is the rank required aboard ship.

The Executive branch ratings would come under his direct control. He would e responsible for detailing work parties within his remit.

Tasked with the day to day ships husbandry or daily maintainence. Would be responsible for boat launching etc. and would be second only in seniority to the Coxn the senior ranking NCO and master At Arms on board ship.

The Bosun would report directly to the XO or Executive officer in his role.

There is a slight crossover in the division in that gunners are also drawn from this division and would be accountable to the Leading or Petty Officer gunner ( Eithne carried a PO gunner as well as a leading Gunner) as would the leading gunner.

The gunners would be nominees as all of the Executive branch may not be rated as gunners and may be RPs ( Radar Plotters) which is a subdivision within the branch.

The gunnery subdivision report to the Gunnery officer and the RPs work with the Navigation officer while the Gunnery officer is their divisional officer.

Now note the small proportion of enlisted bods in relation to officers with officers making up about 10% of a ships crew.

Any help?
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Thanks Murph

you lads are a world apart

Comment

explain that to me again murph

Comment

explain that to me again murph
            Hmm pisstaker!

Let me take you back to when you were a Bosun.....a leading Gunner, and a bod.. now fill in the blanks.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

you lads are a world apart
              lol..more than you'll ever know.

And there were three other divisions aboard ship, but the system is similar in each case, just like having a coy at sea and all its rellted chains of command. Not so different from the army way if you think through it.

Comment

who is the senior NCO on board-

rather who marches the lads in in front of the Ships Captain/Boss

Comment

The Coxn..senior Executive Branch rating on board ship. on Eithne larger crew position held by Senior Chief Petty officer.

On other ships of smaller compliment a Chief Petty officer of the Executive branch hold the position of Cox'n

The Executive Branch are the senior division in the NS and all formal disciplinary matters are dealt with through the master at arms.

On land the Master at Arms is Warrant Officer Rank and again within the NS he is the senior disciplinarian over all branches . The Warrant Officer Executive branch again holds this position.

There are others of equivalent rank in the NS but the Executive branch being the senior have seniority in relation to disciplinary items.
                  Last edited by hptmurphy; 2 July 2009, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    HH
                    Would be responsible for boat launching etc. and would be second only in seniority to the Coxn the senior ranking NCO and master At Arms on board ship.
                    I would say that there are few Chief ERA's that would dispute the issue of seniority with regard to the Bosun, Not to mention the S/PO.

Comment

But when will they ever get to see daylight to argue the point?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I would say that there are few Chief ERA's that would dispute the issue of seniority with regard to the Bosun, Not to mention the S/PO

I should have mentioned that the seniority of the Bosun was specific to the executive branch as where there is PO gunner involved while he might be of equivalent rank to the Bosun, the Bousn is the 'ganger' as such.

Wouldn't argue the seniority of the other ranks in the other branches as they are equally responsible in their branches for the smooth running of their departments.

They play a vital role in the running of any ship and while there might be inter department rivalry I would be the first to acknowledge that ships couldn't function without them.

Apologies to those who may have been offended.

I was referring to the structure in regard to the Executive branch as that was the one I served in.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          The Coxn..senior Executive Branch rating on board ship. on Eithne larger crew position held by Senior Chief Petty officer.

On other ships of smaller compliment a Chief Petty officer of the Executive branch hold the position of Cox'n

The Executive Branch are the senior division in the NS and all formal disciplinary matters are dealt with through the master at arms.
                          Ah yes, The Coxn is the one who would 'invite' one on to the mat to be seen by the CO.

I was admonished twice during my career on the mat, but due to honorable and fair minded CO's all charges were dropped.

Comment

a bosun either got on with the c/era or he did not .. i was lucky and had a few good ones and when i needed back up from the technical people i always got it as murph says we were all there to help each other out but back before my time things were different and led to friction.. once a coxn went on leave a bosun took over his role this is the point of seniority that came into play and is still there..

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                              Ah yes, The Coxn is the one who would 'invite' one on to the mat to be seen by the CO.

I was admonished twice during my career on the mat, but due to honorable and fair minded CO's all charges were dropped.
                              you were definitley set up...

Comment

Working...
                              X