Naval Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Base

Does anybody know why the Tricolour was flying at half mast in Haulbowline yesterday

was this your first time looking at the flag there as it is flown from the yard arm and from a distance it looks like half mast

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
      was this your first time looking at the flag there as it is flown from the yard arm and from a distance it looks like half mast
      A bit like the old fatigues - trousers worn at half mast! Best noticed when worn with white socks!

Comment

Naval Base

Not the first time I saw the flag at the naval base. I used to be a frequent visitor there a few years ago. Haven't been there for a few years now. You are probably right about the yard arm. I saw it from the Cathedrel in Cobh and it looked like a new flag POLE. The old eyesight is not as sharp as it used to be. Must be getting old

Comment

I was down in Cobh for a walk this evening.

Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

Naval Base

Thanks for that photo Derfel. From the angle that I was looking at it, it really did look like it was at half mast. If you look at the photo I can easily be understood how the mistake was made. Thanks for that

Comment

dont ever be afraid to ask us questions,, we will come up with some answer..

Comment

Question: What flag would be flown from the highest point?

Comment

None, the yardarm is the highest point.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thanks Goldie

Comment

I have a small related question if someone can answer it.
                      I spent a couple of days on the Cill Airne doing my work experience during transition year (all too long ago). One of my 'jobs' was to dip the ensign when we passed Haulbowline.

What ships have to do this? and how many still do - I think I mean how many still fly the irish flag?
                      Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

All ships should. But I don't know if there is anyone in the VS tower to notice any more.

The Old Skipper of Cill Airne was ex NS, so he was particularly keen that this tradition be maintained. Have not seen any ship do it for some time.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          All ships should. But I don't know if there is anyone in the VS tower to notice any more.
                          Hi Goldie is the VS Tower that ATC like tower in the picture above? Also what does VS stand for? Thanks.

Comment

Why would a Ship dip its Ensign when passing Haulbowline

and whats dipping the Ensign
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              Why would a Ship dip its Ensign when passing Haulbowline

and whats dipping the Ensign
                              its a very old tradition of a mark of respect to a naval warship and is a part of old maritime law...when a ship is passing by haulboline the qm on duty on the ship has to look out for merchant ships as in my day 99 % of them dipped in salute... it basically means the merchant man lowers his flag half way down his mast and then the naval ship does the same.. the naval ship then hoists the flag fully home and the merchant man follows suit.. a simple gesture and nice to see.. if he fails to dip he is supposed to be recorded and reported but alas i dont know if this happens anymore... sadly changing times

Comment

Working...
                              X