Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Used to be in the old days if a vessel didn't dip its colours the details were noted in the qms log and passed on..what became of the record I don't know but it was rare enough not to have avessel dip to NS vessel.

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Thanks GR

Is it because Haulboline is HQ for the Navy
    no any place a naval vsl is alongside

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Thanks GR

Is it because Haulboline is HQ for the Navy

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by Fouga View Post
    Hi Goldie is the VS Tower that ATC like tower in the picture above? Also what does VS stand for? Thanks.
    visual signalling tower a flashed message in morse could be seen from this location way beyond roches point... under this tower is a static water tank....

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Why would a Ship dip its Ensign when passing Haulbowline

and whats dipping the Ensign
    its a very old tradition of a mark of respect to a naval warship and is a part of old maritime law...when a ship is passing by haulboline the qm on duty on the ship has to look out for merchant ships as in my day 99 % of them dipped in salute... it basically means the merchant man lowers his flag half way down his mast and then the naval ship does the same.. the naval ship then hoists the flag fully home and the merchant man follows suit.. a simple gesture and nice to see.. if he fails to dip he is supposed to be recorded and reported but alas i dont know if this happens anymore... sadly changing times

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Why would a Ship dip its Ensign when passing Haulbowline

and whats dipping the Ensign

Leave a comment:

• Fouga
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    All ships should. But I don't know if there is anyone in the VS tower to notice any more.
    Hi Goldie is the VS Tower that ATC like tower in the picture above? Also what does VS stand for? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    All ships should. But I don't know if there is anyone in the VS tower to notice any more.

The Old Skipper of Cill Airne was ex NS, so he was particularly keen that this tradition be maintained. Have not seen any ship do it for some time.

Leave a comment:

• derfel_ie
    replied
    I have a small related question if someone can answer it.
    I spent a couple of days on the Cill Airne doing my work experience during transition year (all too long ago). One of my 'jobs' was to dip the ensign when we passed Haulbowline.

What ships have to do this? and how many still do - I think I mean how many still fly the irish flag?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Thanks Goldie

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    None, the yardarm is the highest point.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Question: What flag would be flown from the highest point?

Leave a comment:

• golden rivet
    replied
    dont ever be afraid to ask us questions,, we will come up with some answer..

Leave a comment:

• Drylander
    replied
    Naval Base

Thanks for that photo Derfel. From the angle that I was looking at it, it really did look like it was at half mast. If you look at the photo I can easily be understood how the mistake was made. Thanks for that

Leave a comment:

• derfel_ie
    replied
    I was down in Cobh for a walk this evening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X