Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
    Yeah, amazing coincidence that
    Yeah, the naval service spent the last few months hammering the steel plate down to a fraction of it's original thickness, to promote the fact that they need new ships?

I'll post photos later.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

And lets not forget running aground on thr Arran Islands and having a hole punched into the stern from hitting the quay wall in Dublin
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
        And lets not forget running aground on thr Arran Islands and having a hole punched into the stern from hitting the quay wall in Dublin
        we also sprang a leak off haifa remember that - also a hairline crack one night off the west coast good old emer if the bulkheads wall's could talk???? drydock works wonders
        she will run for another few years she will have to - i dont see new ships coming soon
        (pity)

Comment

And with a negative attitude like that, it will be nothing more than a nostalgia fleet. Is it that you WANT the naval service to remain a relic of the 1970s/80s?

A positive attitude towards the potential replacement will go a lot further than naysaying. Say for example someone from Dpt Finance happened to read your post, and decided..
          "well if the exers don't expect it to happen, then we really are not under any pressure to replace- they have been patching the ships together with sticky tape and chewing gum for years, they won't ming doing it for another few".
          I'm surprised at you.

People in your position should be shouting from the rooftops, and writing to your local TD and Newspapers, exactly why, in your opinion, and given your experience, the naval service NEEDS new ships.

Apologies for the rant, don't take it personally. But the naysayer attitude that prevails in this country is the main reason our government feels it doesn't need to act on anything. It knows we aren't going to get bothered by it, because we don't expect anything from them.

Comment

The 'Exers' don't expect to happen as they are in the know., been there before.

We remember all the ballhops about the replacements for the sweepers and know how long that took.

The french P400s were the promised land at the time, we got Peacocks instead and no one expected that move.

The NS association is mainly made up of former reservists so wouldn't exactly be seen as a strong lobby.Would be far more credible if former serving officers went public but then again some of the former 'bumps' would take to much explaining in the halls of power.

When the NS is asked to put ships to sea and says it can't because the ships are beyond economic repair will the light dawn, happened before 40 years ago.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
              Going off thread just a little bit here but, I remember a quip from a member of the crew serving on Emer the time she hit the wall in dublin. There was a 6' x 6' hole in the bulkhead in the steering flat that had been removed to make the repair. His remark was something in the order of " what happens when the tide comes in" duh!

Comment

Under repair.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  The 'Exers' don't expect to happen as they are in the know., been there before.

We remember all the ballhops about the replacements for the sweepers and know how long that took.

The french P400s were the promised land at the time, we got Peacocks instead and no one expected that move.

The NS association is mainly made up of former reservists so wouldn't exactly be seen as a strong lobby.Would be far more credible if former serving officers went public but then again some of the former 'bumps' would take to much explaining in the halls of power.

When the NS is asked to put ships to sea and says it can't because the ships are beyond economic repair will the light dawn, happened before 40 years ago.
                  as the knight says in the monthy python .. its only a flesh wound... as for exers saying anything i dont think we would make much of an imprint on the purchase of a new vsl as this would be decided in the dail . by our minister .. the question i always ask is what insurance covers the p21 and the engineer that says it is seaworthy from his dry office.. it was only a week ago that the bridge for the dart was inspected .. lets hope that we dont have a ship lost in the same fashion.. so if the BIG BOYS are reading this maybe they should inspect p21 a bit further... has it hit the newspapers yet..

Comment

Originally posted by blaisec
                    Where the plates are removed in the f'ord section looks like the f'ord f/w tank, I wonder was contaminated fresh water an indicator that there was a problem. Or maybe its the for'd ballast tank , its been a while since I've been in either.
                    Hmmm! looking at the position of the hole and the 'tell tale' foot grip, it looks like the chain locker.

It's normal to have water floating around in there, along with muck and sand, as that compartment is not sealed on deck, where the chain goes in. There is also a dedicated pump for that area.

A fresh water or ballast tank would be located lower down.

The photo of the second plate, above the fin stabiliser looks like some equipment was replaced from the engine room, a genny perhaps?

It is common practice to cut a hole in the side of a ship to replace machinery, and weld it up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      And with a negative attitude like that, it will be nothing more than a nostalgia fleet. Is it that you WANT the naval service to remain a relic of the 1970s/80s?

A positive attitude towards the potential replacement will go a lot further than naysaying. Say for example someone from Dpt Finance happened to read your post, and decided..
                      "well if the exers don't expect it to happen, then we really are not under any pressure to replace- they have been patching the ships together with sticky tape and chewing gum for years, they won't ming doing it for another few".
                      I'm surprised at you.

People in your position should be shouting from the rooftops, and writing to your local TD and Newspapers, exactly why, in your opinion, and given your experience, the naval service NEEDS new ships.

Apologies for the rant, don't take it personally. But the naysayer attitude that prevails in this country is the main reason our government feels it doesn't need to act on anything. It knows we aren't going to get bothered by it, because we don't expect anything from them.
                      if you look at the history the banba was stripped of parts to keep fola and grainne going
                      having met the present min of defense in my present position he stated and promised the new ships would come - i fear the same will happen with emer - the bandaid theory has always been in effect for the n.s - lets not dream ??

i have gone done the td way and as usual they promise you everything - exers have left the navy the only way they are heard is thru the navy association which does push for the new ships and has always done - so you wonder about the neg attitude ???

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
                        Hmmm! looking at the position of the hole and the 'tell tale' foot grip, it looks like the chain locker.

It's normal to have water floating around in there, along with muck and sand, as that compartment is not sealed on deck, where the chain goes in. There is also a dedicated pump for that area.

A fresh water or ballast tank would be located lower down.

The photo of the second plate, above the fin stabiliser looks like some equipment was replaced from the engine room, a genny perhaps?

It is common practice to cut a hole in the side of a ship to replace machinery, and weld it up again.
                        My understanding from talking to the nice dockyard workers(who are used to me by now) is that there were further holes cut on the hull bottom, under the gennies, and the ones foread are the chain lockers. Nice to let a bit of daylight in there. Might dry it out for once in its life.
                        I agree that the one in the side above the stabiliser are more likely to allow machinery removal.

Comment

Originally posted by blaisec View Post
                          Going off thread just a little bit here but, I remember a quip from a member of the crew serving on Emer the time she hit the wall in dublin. There was a 6' x 6' hole in the bulkhead in the steering flat that had been removed to make the repair. His remark was something in the order of " what happens when the tide comes in" duh!
                          Apparently the Officer down Aft ordered the after party to "Jump up and down" to avoid whiplash as the ship was about to get acquainted with the quay wall!!
                          "The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck."

Comment

must have been an intresting phone call when it was reported to the co and then to the flag .

Comment

'brace Brace' would have been far more appropiate.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by blaisec View Post
                                Ah, the bould Big Tom, wasn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X