Joining Irish Navy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Irish Navy

I'm new to the forum and have done a few searches but I can't really find the info I'm looking for.

I'm a final year student, studying Business Studies, from the north and I've been thinking of joining the Naval Service as a Cadet after I graduate.. I know the Naval Service arn't recruiting at the minute, do any of you know what point in the future they will be?

I've always been interested in the Navy and the sea as a career, I'm a qualified Advanced Open Water PADI diver and soon to be qualified Rescue PADI diver.. I also hold an RYA Powerboat II certificate and I'm currently doing a navigation course.

I'm just looking for information on what I should be doing now to start my career in the Naval Service and any information you can give me, experiences etc.. I'll be contacting the recruitment office in Cork in the future but thought I'd put a post up here first.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Peadar.

The recruitment ban is supposed to last untill the start of 2011 (it could well be extended).

The Government has commited to do some recruitment to the DF this year, but there are no firm figures and no one knows if it will include the Naval Service.

If you are studying in Dublin, Cork, Waterford or Limerick - try contacting your local Naval Service Reserve unit and see if they are recruiting, the may have places. If you are studying in Belfast consider joining the Royal Naval Reserve.

Comment

Cadetships are not affected by the Embargo so far.
      While the courses and experience you have are useful, you won't be excempted from learning it all again the proper(i.e the Navy) way.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Cadetships are not affected by the Embargo so far.
        While the courses and experience you have are useful, you won't be excempted from learning it all again the proper(i.e the Navy) way.
        So do you mean the Naval Service will be recruiting for cadetships this year?

Is there any way of training to become a medic in the Navy or do you have to be a member of the Medical Corps?

Thanks for the help,

Peadar.

Comment

Look at whether you want to go Deck or Engineer. The Cadets are trained in the NMCI so look into what courses whould be beneficial in a supplementary way to those that you would under take through the military training.
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Peadar View Post
            So do you mean the Naval Service will be recruiting for cadetships this year?
            Possibly you'll know when you see it advertised (or not)

Is there any way of training to become a medic in the Navy or do you have to be a member of the Medical Corps?
            It is in the public domain that the Naval Service has 1 Medical Officer, that person would be a doctor who taken on as an officer, possibly with relevant qualifications for diving etc.

Other than that officers aren't medics, that is the job of other ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              Look at whether you want to go Deck or Engineer. The Cadets are trained in the NMCI so look into what courses whould be beneficial in a supplementary way to those that you would under take through the military training.
              Generally the cadet competition begins in January each year, and after medicals, fitness tests and interviews are completed, offers are made to successful candidates after the Leaving Cert results are released. Cadetships are affected by the embargo as they were this year until the government were reminded that they had given a commitment to the Maltese government that they would train their cadets (Army and Navy) that is why this years competition was so late
              Last edited by Marnealach; 26 February 2010, 23:04.

Comment

When will this years cadetships be advertised, i was told "late" by an NS officer but can someone be more specific??
                Thats not the right amount of water on the deck.....

Comment

Watch http://www.military.ie/careers/officer/index.htm
                  When we see it there, we'll put it here.
                  Keep in mind though that there were no Air Corps Cadetships advertised last time out, and the embargo is still in place, and the last 2 cadet classes were large.

Do a search on this site for cadetships to see the schedule of the last competition as a guide.
                  Last edited by Goldie fish; 19 March 2010, 13:46.

Comment

sounds good to me

Comment

Cheers for the replies..

Anybody any updates on when this recruitment ban will be lifted?

Comment

Cheers for the replies..

At the moment, the DoD are moving the goalposts, reducing the authorised strength, to reflect the ever decreasing numbers in the DF as a whole.

Comment

Cheers for the replies..

Very soon.
                          New DF recruitment posters have been printed and are been sent around the units.
                          AFAIK there for RDF but the PDF ones wont be far behind.

Comment

According to military.ie the NS will start a recruitment competition on May 14
                            When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                            All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

From the df facebook page The naval service will be recruiting from 14 may. No applications will be accepted before then
                              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Working...
                              X