No announcement yet.

" Leader of the year"For Naval Seaman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Leader of the year"For Naval Seaman.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...265559649.html

LORNA SIGGINS Marine Correspondent

A NAVAL Service seaman and diver has been conferred with the first award in memory of Mayo man and Argentinian navy founder, Admiral William Brown.

Able Seaman James Walsh from Cork has been selected as young Naval Service “leader of the year”. He was presented with the trophy in Foxford, Co Mayo, yesterday by Mayo County Council chair Cllr John Cribben.

Admiral Brown’s Argentinian naval victory over the Spanish squadron in 1814 precipitated the South American state’s independence, which was declared 200 years ago this year.

The trophy is named after both Admiral Brown and the late JJ O’Hara, who died in 2008. Mr O’Hara was a founding member of the Admiral Brown society and did much to raise awareness about the role of the famous Mayo man.

Able Seaman Walsh is a recent graduate of the higher certificate in leadership, management and naval studies from the National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI) in Cork.

Capt Mark Mellett of Naval Operations Command said Able Seaman Walsh had shown “excellent leadership qualities and constantly proved himself as a young naval leader”.

In a related ceremony, a wreath had been laid at the statue of Admiral Brown on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin, by Lieut Cdr Tom Hobbins, captain of the Naval Service patrol ship LE Orla, as a symbol of the close ties between Ireland and Argentina.
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 4 March 2010, 17:49.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Following in the Wake of Admiral Brown
    On Wednesday the 3rd of March, Naval Service seaman and diver, Able Seaman James Walsh will be the first recipient of the inaugural ‘Admiral Brown and J.J. O’Hara trophy.’ The award is presented to the ‘Young Naval Leader of the year,’ and will take place at the annual Admiral Brown commemoration which will take place in Foxford, Co. Mayo. The award will be presented by the Cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council, Cllr John Cribben and is named after one of Ireland’s greatest Naval Heroes, Foxford native, Admiral William Brown. Admiral Brown was the founder of the Argentinean Navy, whose victory over the Spanish Squadron in 1814 precipitated independence which was declared 200 years ago this year.

Corkman, Able Seaman Walsh is a recent graduate of the Naval Potential NCO’s Course, where he was awarded a Higher Certificate in Leadership, Management and Naval Studies from the National Maritime College of Ireland (NMCI). Speaking of the award, Captain (Naval Service) Mark Mellett, Officer Command Naval Operations Command said;

“Throughout the course James showed excellent leadership qualities, and constantly proved himself as a young Naval Leader. It is only fitting that young naval leaders of today should model themselves on heroes such as Admiral William Brown”.

The other name on the trophy is that of J.J. O’Hara, who passed away in 2008. He was a founding member of the Admiral Brown society and did much to raise awareness of the achievements of the Admiral and to place his memory firmly among the greats of Irish maritime history.

A related ceremony will take place in Dublin at the statue of Admiral Brown on Sir John Rogerson’s quay at 12 p.m., where the Naval Vessel L.E. ORLA is docked. The ship’s Captain, Lt Cdr Tom Hobbins, will lay a wreath at the statue in memory of Admiral Brown.

Further information from:

Press Officer: Comdt. Neil Nolan 01 8042687 : 087 2482130

e-mail: Press Officer web: www.military.ie

Comment

I thought Leading Hand was the equivalent of Cpl

and Able seas man is a Private

so how could this chap (well done to him) get a prize for leader of the year
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

He's just off a PNCO course, that's how.

Comment

SO your telling me that a lad just off his PNCO Cse

is a better leader than lads who have been off it for possibly years

Comment

The award is for "Young Naval Leader of the year". It is similar to other prizes given for those who successfully complete courses of training, and it is awarded in memory of JJ O'Hara, whose untimely death left a fantastic legacy of strong ties between Mayo and Argentina. The Founder of the Argentine Navy Guillermo Brown, was from Mayo, Foxford to be exact.

He completed the Naval Potential NCO course, which has recently gained FETAC accreditation.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              The award is for "Young Naval Leader of the year". It is similar to other prizes given for those who successfully complete courses of training, and it is awarded in memory of JJ O'Hara, whose untimely death left a fantastic legacy of strong ties between Mayo and Argentina. The Founder of the Argentine Navy Guillermo Brown, was from Mayo, Foxford to be exact.

He completed the Naval Potential NCO course, which has recently gained FETAC accreditation.
              I assume he topped the class and got the award.

Comment

Admiral Brown Society A

A couple of years ago I visited the museum in Foxford which had a lot of exhibits and info re Admiral Brown. However in the yard were a 4.5 deck gun in a turret plus a neutered torpedoe and other items donated by the Argentenian Navy,they were out in the open rusting/rotting away I hope they have since been restored and put on proper display

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                  A couple of years ago I visited the museum in Foxford which had a lot of exhibits and info re Admiral Brown. However in the yard were a 4.5 deck gun in a turret plus a neutered torpedoe and other items donated by the Argentenian Navy,they were out in the open rusting/rotting away I hope they have since been restored and put on proper display
                  They should take a leaf out of what the gunners do at sea by applying loads of grease to stop the rust

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    SO your telling me that a lad just off his PNCO Cse

is a better leader than lads who have been off it for possibly years
                    Id hardly call him a lad....
                    I was at sea with him and he was very competent and able
                    Fair play to him anyway, who cares if hes young.
                    The reason hes still an A/B (like the rest of the A/Bs on that course) is because there is nobody getting promoted to Leading Hand at the moment.
                    Thats not the right amount of water on the deck.....

Comment

ok to get this right is this only given out to ncos courses or is it an annual event as it will be a big decision to say especially at sea who is the best candidate for next year as everyone has some good qualities of leadership that is hard to define into the Best one..it could cause a bit of despair to some

Comment

When I say Lad- I mean- bloke, man,guy, chap or anyother variation to describe a man

as opposed to a lass- blokess, non man, splitarse, guyess, chapess or other variation to describe a non man,-

My original point was - how could someone be termed leader of the year when he was not in a rank of authority

and he was still so young-

I would hate to be a PO- CPO- Leading Hand with a lot of years service and get this thrown at me-

maybe to avoid confusion the name of the award should be changed to best Potential NCO- best junior leader

etc-

When I originally posted I was merely seeking clarification and meant no disrespect to the lad in question- I

am sure he is a fine example of the fine young people serving in the Irish Defence Forces- even if he is ONLY

a sea hag

Comment

Hedgehog, as I said earlier
                          The award is for "Young Naval Leader of the year".
                          Captain Mellett's speech on the day the award was made.
                          Rev Fathers, Cathaoileach Mayo CoCo, elected Representatives, Members Admiral Brown Society, Members of the Def Forces, Citizens and Guests -
                          We stand here today in testimony to the legacy of many great Irish men and women. This year, 2010, the celebration of the bicentennial of independence of a number of South American countries, serves as an expression of the significant part Irishmen or those of Irish decent played in the liberation movements across S America and in subsequent political, civil and military affairs. To names well known in Ireland such as Admiral William Brown, should be added names such as Bernardo O’Higgins, Admiral Lynch and Captain O’Brien in Chile, Peter Campbell in Uruguay, and the San Patricio (St Patrick) battalion in Mexico.
                          Our visit to South America in 2006 presented an opportunity to bring sovereign Irish territory to ports in several South American countries, for that is what an Naval Ship is – a mobile depiction of our Sovereignty that in carrying the Irish Flag also furthers our interests, providing a platform to show case what is good about Ireland.
                          Following in the footsteps of the likes of Father Fahy the potential in the context of the humanitarian dimension of that visit was epitomised by the initiatives of JJ O’Hara our friend from Foxford who for example championed the provision of a generator sponsored by Musgraves Cash and Carry and installed by Irish Naval Technicians on a remote Island (Los Luarellos) on the Parana Delta between Uruguay and Argentina.
                          In all in 2006 the Irish Navy participated in over 150 events onboard and ashore, hosting over 6000 visitors and promoting Irish Industry in all of the ports visited as well as underpinning Diplomatic initiatives.
                          The Irish Navy has cut its teeth on deployments such as the 2002 deployment to China, Japan and Asia in general where in the course of over 60 events almost 2500 decision takers and over 800 journalists were hosted and Irish Diplomatic and economic interests were promoted. These events did not happen by accident, they happened because enlightened people recognised the importance of our diplomatic, economic and cultural ties – our cultural ties to Irish communities in many cases on the other side of the world – ties which normally are serviced by our diplomatic missions, by our NGOs or by institutions such as the Irish Catholic Missionaries Network – but ties which today can be serviced by the Irish Navy working in consort with the other tools of government.
                          JJ O’Hara through his love for Admiral Brown recognised this importance. His commitment to the Brown Story went far beyond Admiral Brown himself but targeted what Admiral Brown epitomised a symbol of Irish Communities abroad, our Culture, a symbol of independence and stability – diplomacy, and a symbol of humanity.
                          Great leaders like Admiral Brown don’t happen every day , great people like JJ O’Hara are not too common, but when we spot them or have a hint of their existence we will do well to cherish them – that is why it is a great honour for me to invite the Chairman of Mayo County Council to make the inaugural award of the Admiral Brown JJ O’Hara Young Leader of the year Award to Able Seaman Diver James Walsh of my own command the Naval Operations Diving Section at the Naval Base Haulbowline. This award arises on foot of an initiative by a former Cathaoirleach of Mayo CoCo this initiative was supported by the Minister for Defence. Created by Irish Army and Navy technicians it depicts a canon crafted from brass placed on a caulked deck with gunnery paraphernalia exactly depicting the arrangements as they were at the time of Admiral Brown. James Walsh is a worthy winner of this trophy. He has shown excellent leadership qualities, and constantly proved himself the premier young Naval Leader in the past year.* JJ and I often reflected on ideas like this – we were of the firm believe that young naval leaders of today should model themselves on heroes such as Admiral William Brown. In Jame’s case I am sure if Admiral Brown was alive he would agree and be impressed –
                          I suggest to you all, as citizens of Ireland that you should be impressed by the young men and women of the Irish Naval Service who every day and every night on your behalf patrol the largest maritime domain to land ratio of any European state helping underpin government policy in our home waters and beyond – as every sailor knows the Irish state and its interest do not stop at the high water mark, they go beyond the horizon and as I have explained in some cases they extend to the other side of the world
                          Last edited by Goldie fish; 15 March 2010, 08:45.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                            When I say Lad- I mean- bloke, man,guy, chap or anyother variation to describe a man

as opposed to a lass- blokess, non man, splitarse, guyess, chapess or other variation to describe a non man,-

My original point was - how could someone be termed leader of the year when he was not in a rank of authority

and he was still so young-

I would hate to be a PO- CPO- Leading Hand with a lot of years service and get this thrown at me-

maybe to avoid confusion the name of the award should be changed to best Potential NCO- best junior leader

etc-

When I originally posted I was merely seeking clarification and meant no disrespect to the lad in question- I

am sure he is a fine example of the fine young people serving in the Irish Defence Forces- even if he is ONLY

a sea hag
                            A QUOTE I ALWAYS LOVE a sailor can do a soldiers job but a soldier cant do a sailors job.. all comments welcome in this time of recession

Comment

he is an acting leading hand at the moment and has been serving in a position of authority for months now, so i presume thats why he can get the award.....it isnt the best potential nco award.....
                              Thats not the right amount of water on the deck.....

Comment

Working...
                              X