Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship pair arrested over Barrier Reef damage

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 09:53 AM

A Chinese ship captain and a chief officer have been arrested and charged with causing damage to the Great Barrier Reef, Australian police said today.

The move comes more than a week after their coal carrier ran aground, leaking oil and tearing a two-mile gash in the protected area.

The Australian Federal Police said the Master of the vessel and the chief officer on watch would appear in court tomorrow.

The 47-year-old Master is charged with liability for the vessel causing damage in a marine park, an offence which carries a maximum AUS$55,000 (€37,500) fine.

The 44-year-old officer is accused of being the person in charge of the vessel on April 3 when it caused the damage, and faces up to three years in prison and/or a fine of up to AUS$220,000 (€150,000).
    Thats some deterrent.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

3 years.

They don't mess about down there.

Why oh why were they so far off course?
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Incompetence.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Incompetence.
        Apparently it's more due to it being a "short cut". They're required to sail around the reef which can add days to the journey, not to mention the extra costs in fuel etc.
        Meh.

Comment

Then they definitely deserve jail, and a huge fine, and I hope I'm right in saying they'll lose their tickets?

Do the RAN have the power to board and detain those involved in transiting illegally through these areas?

This could have been a real disaster which would have taken nature tens of years to put right.....
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
            Then they definitely deserve jail, and a huge fine, and I hope I'm right in saying they'll lose their tickets?

Seconded. Had the opportunity to dive the reef in January. Our instructions were not to even touch the coral. These idiots cut a two mile gash in it with a bulk carrier? Unforgivable.

Comment

Apparantly the short cut was a legal, many ships use it, its was the then straying off course onto the reef that got them canned.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225851118267

Connaught Stranger.
              Last edited by Connaught Stranger; 16 April 2010, 13:37.

Comment

Working...
              X