Naval Boat transport for sale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Boat transport for sale...

The Minister for Defence invites tenders from parties who are interested in purchasing a boat transport vessel which the Naval Service now wish to sell.

Up to 2008 the vessel had been used to ferry passengers between the Naval Base at Haulbowline (Co. Cork) and Cobh.

The vessel was built in 1971 and had been licensed to carry up to 50 passengers. In 2008 the Naval Service engaged a firm of naval architects to survey the vessel in order to ascertain what work was necessary to make it compliant with Department of Transport Marine Notice No. 16 of 2006.

The architect’s findings concluded that the vessel could not be economically modified to comply with the revised regulations. It was found that the boat would require significant work to bring it in line with the regulations which in turn would reduce the passenger capacity of the vessel. However, the hull and general fittings, including the engine, are sound albeit without the capacity to carry passengers.

The following are the dimensions of the vessel -
    Length: 14.2 m
    Beam: 3.5m
    Displacement: 14.79 tonnes.

The vessel will be sold “as seen” and the Minister for Defence cannot accept any responsibility as to its quality or condition. It is important that prospective tenderers note that the vessel can no longer be used as a passenger boat and is no longer licensed for such purposes.

Which one is this? I noticed David F is not doing the job at the moment, and in its absence transport is being done by the former Irish Steel transport "Ingot", now known as "spirit of the Isles" or something similar.
    David F is a much older vessel though, and far larger than that listed above.
    I'm thinking it is the famed "small officers boat" Fainleog.

She would make a nice runabout/project for conversion to houseboat.
    However, given the reason she was considered unsuitable to continue in her past role, a prospective buyer should have a look at what was "wrong".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Is there need for any of the ferries, oilboats or harbour tugs anymore?

Comment

Dev, Where are you taking about?

Comment

when it arrived first it had a different name and was a lot faster and the engine was throttled back. it drinks the juice and is now suitable for someone with a lot of money to throw away or conversion into scrap.. its main fault is people had only one exit out of it in an emergency.. and dev where are you talking about

Comment

The likes of the David F. I did have a book that named 3/4 vessels, are any of these still operated or was it just the David F?, is a replacement required (giving that there is now a bridge)?

Comment

no bridge from cobh side

Comment

Cobh residents(of whom the NS make a large number) have yet to perfect the art of walking on water. Also due to pollution, they are unable to hold their breaths for long enough to make the walk underwater.

Dev... Look at a map.

Comment

I think the bridge was built before the current fleet of Boat transports were built............................................. .......................

Comment

David F dates from the fifties and built in the Netherlands

Fiach Dubh, Fanleog,Ingot,Steel isle , and the William J were others about the harbour in my time.

The real small officers boats were the Raven and the Sir Secil Romer

the Seabhac being the tug but can remeber her doing transport work as well.

And for those of us who soujourned in Boat Transport..we had Colleen 2..nice handy number...got quite good at playing cards while down there.

I think Dev alludes to the bridge at Ringaskiddy which we all know be thirty miles away from Cobh by road.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                    I'd get a map out before you dig your hole any further.

View Larger Map
                    This , to be fair does not account for the carrigaloe/glenbrook ferry. That reduces at least 5 miles....

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                      David F dates from the fifties and built in the Netherlands

Fiach Dubh, Fanleog,Ingot,Steel isle , and the William J were others about the harbour in my time.

The real small officers boats were the Raven and the Sir Secil Romer

the Seabhac being the tug but can remeber her doing transport work as well.

And for those of us who soujourned in Boat Transport..we had Colleen 2..nice handy number...got quite good at playing cards while down there.

I think Dev alludes to the bridge at Ringaskiddy which we all know be thirty miles away from Cobh by road.
                      The Tug ios still active, though I am unsure if it is a DoD owned one, or the usual harbour "rope boats". Eithne, in particular, often requires assistance tying up to the oil wharf.
                      To my knowledge(i'm sure murph will correct me) we have no fuel boats of any sort. All oil/lube/fuel is stored on land and drawn from Tanks located on the island as required. I believe the tender is up for renewal for the supply of fuel oil. Maybe the new supplier will use a lighter instead of the shore tanks. It is more commonly seen however, where the vessels subject to refuelling frequently go to anchor or are unable to make use of a dedicated fuelling berth.

Comment

It was a question not a suggestion!

Comment

To my knowledge(i'm sure murph will correct me) we have no fuel boats of any sort. All oil/lube/fuel is stored on land and drawn from Tanks located on the island as require

Chowl was scrapped in the late eighties....thats its. Had been based in Cork since 1928 and refueled the Corvettes but there the relationship ended.

She was -privately owned up to 1938 when the state took her over and her name derives from Cork Harbour Oil Wharf Ltd, her previous owners.

She was built in 1923.

Oil wharf is where you fuel, always been the way.

Jackdaw was also used beteween 1935 and 1985 when she was scrapped

John Adams from 1934 until sold in 1986

General McHardy built 1928 scrapped in 1971

Sir John Wyndham Built 1903 scrapped 1968

Sir Cecil Romer Built 1929 transferred to ASM as Deiseach in 1986, since with drawn

Raven Built 1931 scrapped 1985

Jackdaw built 1935 scrapped 1985

Colleen built 1930 sold 1980

Fainleog was built in the netherlands in 1971 and was acquired from Marine transport Ltd in November 1982

Fiach Dubh (ex white Point) built 1981 acquired from Marine transport in 1985

David F was built in 1962 for Marine transports services where she initially worked in Bantry bay servicing whiddy Island until 1970 when she leased to the Dod as garrsion launch and finally when the lease expired in 1989 she was bought out right,

Sheabhac was built in 1979 for Marine transport ltd but was purchased by the NS in 1982.

Will there be anythings else?
                          Last edited by hptmurphy; 30 June 2010, 12:36. Reason: spelling
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

thanks hpt!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I think the bridge was built before the current fleet of Boat transports were built............................................. .......................
                              mid sixties i think as lemass opened it up

Comment

Working...
                              X