X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by Morris View Post
    That is not my argument-I just said it makes life easier for A/B's when there are O/S's on board because as we all know ''shit flows downhill'' and O/S's get the more menial jobs but I've no problem whatsoever with that and the NSR have a plentyfull supply of O/S whereas the NS don't due to nearly all being upgraded to A/B .
    I still don't understand your argument.

If the Army reserve offered the Army a company of 2 stars because all the army 2 stars had been upgraded already to 3 star, they would most likely be laughed out of it. An A/Sea is more useful aboard ship than an O/Sea!
    Given the choice, I'm sure Lt Cdr x of Pxx would prefer to have more fully qualified A/Seas aboard ship on patrol than a similar number of O/Seas, regardless of whether they were Naval Service or Naval Service reserve.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the flag officer prefers to have ships crewed with undertrained inexperienced crewmen..

Leave a comment:

• Morris
    replied
    Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

If the arguement was based around ABs it might have some credibilty but to insinuate that the NS is short oF Os's is just ridiulous.
    That is not my argument-I just said it makes life easier for A/B's when there are O/S's on board because as we all know ''shit flows downhill'' and O/S's get the more menial jobs but I've no problem whatsoever with that and the NSR have a plentyfull supply of O/S whereas the NS don't due to nearly all being upgraded to A/B .
    Last edited by Morris; 11 October 2010, 09:56.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Well if you look through my posts you will see I've posted on other naval threads too but as this concerns me most I like to stand up for the organisation when people who are not in it complain about what we do.
    You have 22 posts in total. 17 of them are in this thread.....

Stoker, sir, you are of course the notable exception to the rule.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Exactly DEV but unfortunatly some people here seem to have an opinion of the NSR from the way ASM was in their time and are not up to date in the modern NSR.
    and then some are very up to date and have yet to hear a positive word from the NS on the NSR.

Bear in mind that the NS has yet to fail to put a ship to sea if there haven't been NSR bods available.

Nice to have about when you are available but can be managed without.

If the arguement was based around ABs it might have some credibilty but to insinuate that the NS is short oF Os's is just ridiulous.
    Last edited by Vickers; 11 October 2010, 04:27. Reason: Correct quote formatting

Leave a comment:

• Morris
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post

Times change!
    Exactly DEV but unfortunatly some people here seem to have an opinion of the NSR from the way ASM was in their time and are not up to date in the modern NSR.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by Sullie View Post
    When you take into a count what the NSR do for the NS it would be foolish to get rid of them,
    If you read back you will find I was suggesting the opposite.

Doing the occasional relief on ships is very recent. For 30 years previous to this ASM / NSR weren't eeven taken to sea as passengers.

Why....attitude basically.
    Times change!

Leave a comment:

• spud68
    replied
    How about setting up a NSR unit in the NMCI ? could save time and money also put useful people on the ships when required . Cadets would get a bit of cash always welcome .

Leave a comment:

• Stoker
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Oddly enough, none of you are able, or willing to comment on any other naval matter.
    At all!
    Not quite Goldie, as a former S.M. man I post regularly on naval matters.

Re. persons with suitable qualifications having direct entry, we just don't have the numbers who could join and the NSR is too small.

I sailed with lots of men in the British Merchant navy who were also Officers in the RNR. Most if not all came from "Naval families", they had been to public schools, and spoke with plummy accents, a few were Free Masons,........ not a Christian Brothers boy in sight! They weren't going up to the barracks on monday night but did a few weeks each year. As to what they contributed, well they were professional navigators and could stand a bridge watch, I only met one Engineer, he had just left HMS Ark Royal after a few weeks looking after a group of trainee ERAs. Also they all knew how to hold their knife and fork properly.

If we can't make the NSR work we don't deserve a RDF or for that matter a PDF. The way things are looking we won't have them for much longer. I don't suppose Paddy Power gives odds on such things but if he did he would be giving very long odds on new ships for the next ten years.
    Last edited by Vickers; 10 October 2010, 14:51. Reason: Fixed quote formatting

Leave a comment:

• A/TEL
    replied
    And if you weren't there, the RNLI, or the clubs own crash boats would be doing the job. What about the other NSR units? Cork week is only a week every 2 years. What about the other 103 weeks?
    What about limerick? What yacht club will they be assisting? How many people have Limerick NSR pulled out of the Shannon?(I have pulled out 2 myself -one dead, one live- and I'm not even in the NSR).
    Your justification of sending O Seas to replace non existent O Seas is hard to understand.

But we have heard this quite a lot from the NSR on this website.
    Seems to be from a script of some sort.

Oddly enough, none of you are able, or willing to comment on any other naval matter.
    At all!

Well said Goldie, the NSR are going to have to step up to the plate if they want to respected and show a use for themselves. Otherwise its a waste of taxpayers money.

Leave a comment:

• Morris
    replied

At all!
    Well if you look through my posts you will see I've posted on other naval threads too but as this concerns me most I like to stand up for the organisation when people who are not in it complain about what we do.
    In relating to other units-Limerick had some ministerial transport this year in Kilrush and were resposible for safety there in their ribs(Cork also had the same role for the handover of Spike),,Waterford have the Tallships too.
    Thats not my justification for sending O/S.
    Last edited by Vickers; 10 October 2010, 12:05. Reason: Correct quote format

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    O/Ss are gone because they are now A/S.

Yes I know they are now A/B's-what I'm saying is NSR O/S fulfill rolls which NS A/B's do when there are no reserves at sea thus saving them time to do their own work according to their rank. In regards to Cork week,all I know is many's the year we pulled someone out from the water so I think that justifies our presence, don't you?
    And if you weren't there, the RNLI, or the clubs own crash boats would be doing the job. What about the other NSR units? Cork week is only a week every 2 years. What about the other 103 weeks?
    What about limerick? What yacht club will they be assisting? How many people have Limerick NSR pulled out of the Shannon?(I have pulled out 2 myself -one dead, one live- and I'm not even in the NSR).
    Your justification of sending O Seas to replace non existent O Seas is hard to understand.

But we have heard this quite a lot from the NSR on this website.
    Seems to be from a script of some sort.

At all!

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    where nearly all NS O/S's are gone)
    As it should be,It means they have their sea time done and have got their second stripe.

Don't need a quoted of O/S's.

What absolute bollocks.

cover harbour patrol in events like Cork week or Tall ships so the NS don't have to and are the public face of the navy in Patricks day.
    Harbour patrols...jesus talk about trying to justify your existence.

First time Tall ships came to Ireland ASM were still using BP18s...and have progressed a lot since in fairness.

But don't over estimate your importance, Doing the occasional relief on ships is very recent. For 30 years previous to this ASM / NSR weren't eeven taken to sea as passengers.

Why....attitude basically.

Leave a comment:

• Morris
    replied
    "so the navy don't have to". If you weren't there, would the Navy do it at all? What was done at Ford week before the NSR had ribs?

O/Ss are gone because they are now A/S.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know they are now A/B's-what I'm saying is NSR O/S fulfill rolls which NS A/B's do when there are no reserves at sea thus saving them time to do their own work according to their rank. In regards to Cork week,all I know is many's the year we pulled someone out from the water so I think that justifies our presence, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    have to agree with sullie. It's very much a symbiotic relationship where the NS provide training but in return the NSR supply junior rates to patrols(where nearly all NS O/S's are gone) cover harbour patrol in events like Cork week or Tall ships so the NS don't have to and are the public face of the navy in Patricks day.
    "so the navy don't have to". If you weren't there, would the Navy do it at all? What was done at Ford week before the NSR had ribs?

Leave a comment:

• BANDIT
    replied
    As a former sluggie I well remember the dedication of many of the senior members . likes of Lt Cmd Cronin, PO Pendred, Lt Cmdr Marie??? and as a sluggie I did guard , fire picket duty, 303 days , cook house etc even went out on a trip on the Banba which cured my longing for a life at sea, puked my guts up.. But even then we were not much of a force and unless they can now pay their way close them down. But I would say that in comparasion with the RDF army units they are probably more cost effective. perhasp like all units, PDF, RDF , A BIT TOO TOP heavy, get rid of a few officers and employ a lot more bayonets.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X