No announcement yet.

Future of the NSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant thread, all the experts are out again,I suppose opinions are like arse holes we all have one.
    Some priceless comments here, I am worse to get involved but as I was at the new Sherk movie today I am the realm of fairy tale land.
    By the way the NSR have 2 Sea riders with crews in Crosshaven tonight in the pisssing rain till the wee hours while all the experts are alsleep in their warm beds, thank you for your informed comments.
    I have never actually taken them seriously, mostly due to the fact that they are very badly organised and mope about in a slovenly manner constantly. They have a low motivation and seem uninterested.

It's the little things that matter and a few short well placed improvements would definatly go a long way

Just say thank you, if the NSR were not out tonight then the NS would be.
    Wow is that a function of a reserve!!!!!
    Last edited by popeye; 14 July 2010, 01:07.

Comment

What were they doing in the pissing rain that was so important to keep them out to the wee hours .
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

River patrol for Cork Week Sailing regatta.

Only 200 boats this year, so attendance levels are well down.

The purpose of the patrol would be to keep the river speed limit enforced ( which I think is only enforceable by either Port of Cork rep or Gardai - open to correction)

The other one being in case any one fell in off the marinas at night while intoxicated. (very hard to see unless the ribs were in close in the marina bays themselves.

To be fair there is the Crosshaven Coastguard, Crosshaven Lifeboat, Civil Defence, Royal Cork Yacht Club rescue ribs, heavy Gardai presence as well as event security. The last one includes doing mobile foot patrols of the marina during the night also.

So if the 2 x sea riders were not in the river, while better to have them, it would not be a massive loss. Just my (arsehole opinion)
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

The only boats operating at night are the NSR Seariders, everyone else stands though are on call I would imagine. No Garda boats this year. The Seariders operate in and around the marina, more than once we pulled people from the water. Good few years ago the lads found a guy face down in the water and got him to safety,one family has a son or father around today because of those lads.
          If the 2 Seariders were not there it just might be a massive loss.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
            How do all the other Naval reserve's do it so?

NZDF
            US Navy Reserve
            France
            Australia
            Canada
            Netherlands?

There must be some formula that is working if the others can do it
            +1

Instead of either whinging about how the NSR is neglected, or giving us all the reasons why it could never work, take a look at how other countries do it, and see if we can learn anything. Maybe at the end of the day the logical decision is that either we don't really need a Naval Reserve, or it can never be made to work properly in this country because of whatever reasons, but surely we should check out the alternatives first?

Comment

Well glad to know the yachty types are being looked after after too many Gin and Tonics while i sleep safe and sound , I was wondering why I was sleeping so well lately .

Comment

Indeed,
                While worthwhile, it is difficult to see how the task can fit in to a Naval Role.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                  The only boats operating at night are the NSR Seariders, everyone else stands though are on call I would imagine. No Garda boats this year. The Seariders operate in and around the marina, more than once we pulled people from the water. Good few years ago the lads found a guy face down in the water and got him to safety,one family has a son or father around today because of those lads.
                  If the 2 Seariders were not there it just might be a massive loss.
                  Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Indeed,
                  While worthwhile, it is difficult to see how the task can fit in to a Naval Role.
                  While not belittling the NSR commitment, I belive the civil defence would be more suited to this role, having their training geared towards rescue scenarios.

GF - In Cork Week 2000, the Naval divers had 2 Osprey Ribs and a mobile container on site for services. Some of them made some nice nixers in scrubbing the hulls of some of the more racy types out there after hours.
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    Well glad to know the yachty types are being looked after after too many Gin and Tonics while i sleep safe and sound , I was wondering why I was sleeping so well lately .
                    Hey the Naval Service have plenty of yachty types within their ranks too!

Comment

To be fair there is the Crosshaven Coastguard, Crosshaven Lifeboat, Civil Defence, Royal Cork Yacht Club rescue ribs, heavy Gardai presence as well as event security. The last one includes doing mobile foot patrols of the marina during the night also.

So if the 2 x sea riders were not in the river, while better to have them, it would not be a massive loss. Just my (arsehole opinion)
                      Eh, to be fair as great as the Coastguard, Lifeboats and Civil Defence are, they were not there! The only people doing "mobile foot patrols of the marina at night" were the NSR, the Gardai did not set foot past the gate.

Already the NSR have prevented a few accidents on the marina in the space of only two days (with the rest of the week yet to unfold). Maybe you don't agree, but I think preventing someone from drowning is preventing a "massive loss".

Comment

There now seems to be a few current NS / NSR people looking at the thread.

What needs to be done to improve the NSR / does it need improving?

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                          The only people doing "mobile foot patrols of the marina at night" were the NSR, the Gardai did not set foot past the gate.
                          They cannot go beyond the gate, as it is Private property. They can only patrol private property if being paid for same by the owner. This would be the method used when Gardai Police matches or concerts within the venue. (Duties of a Non Public nature). Keep in mind that everyone has to pay to enter the venue during the week. If RCYC are already providing private security, and the NSR are, of their own accord, patrolling by night for free(presumably) then why would the RCYC pay the Superintendant in Togher to get a few uniforms inside too?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            They cannot go beyond the gate, as it is Private property. They can only patrol private property if being paid for same by the owner. This would be the method used when Gardai Police matches or concerts within the venue. (Duties of a Non Public nature). Keep in mind that everyone has to pay to enter the venue during the week. If RCYC are already providing private security, and the NSR are, of their own accord, patrolling by night for free(presumably) then why would the RCYC pay the Superintendant in Togher to get a few uniforms inside too?
                            They wouldn't, nor do they have to, thats what I'm saying. The only people patrolling around the marina were NSR who were in contact with the Gardai and event security throughout the event.

Comment

There is your area to concentrate on so. It is a modernisation of the "port control" role of the past.

Were members paid for the duty? What was the boat use put down as?

Comment

Hey the Naval Service have plenty of yachty types within their ranks too!

Is that the infamous Yacht Squadron ?

Comment

Working...
                                X