This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
    Who is the Marine Consultant Advisor and what staff or organisation does he have to meet the laid out tasks? The Draft document, other than term "MRV" doesn't give a clue that it is a ship that is being built or that it is meant for worldwide travel in most weather conditions. The key matters are tonnage, and sufficient stability from fully loaded to being completely burned out of fuel. The vessel has to be independent in handling it's loaded payloads and amenable to Vertrep and on scene Helicopter operations. The amount and types of loaded cargo must be decided.
    The tender is seeking the advisor and their staff. Their role will be to bring the NS through the Tender process for the EPV.
    I thought that would have been clear from my post above.
    The tender process for the ship and its design is an entirely separate and subsequent matter.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

The tender is seeking the advisor and their staff. Their role will be to bring the NS through the Tender process for the EPV.
      I thought that would have been clear from my post above.
      The tender process for the ship and its design is an entirely separate and subsequent matter.
      The opening duties of the Marine Consultant involves " planning, management, evaluation ,tendering and management strategy". I'm just pointing out that the premier matter is that in any new build process the final product is the key goal. Remembering that all new ships are prototypes to a degree. The Department have built10 ships and tenders are their bread and butter. I have chaired two builds and how it performs and is equipped are the naval inheritance for the next 4 decades. You don't award a contract until your sure it will float!!

Comment

• Hunt for new €200m vessel to replace ageing LÉ Eithne under way (irishexaminer.com)

Comment

• DF COS just posted a link to his article from 2005 on twitter.
          (around the time this thread started).
          00-An Cos-DEC-05 (p1-11) (dfmagazine.ie)

Comment

• It is crucial , for this ship , that a dedicated berth be provided to maximise her logistical capabilities and also allow her access facilities such as shore power. Much the same applies to any additional vessels purchased to patrol Irish sea areas. We must avoid the Homeless conundrum of buying furniture and having no house to put it in.

Comment

It is crucial , for this ship , that a dedicated berth be provided to maximise her logistical capabilities and also allow her access facilities such as shore power. Much the same applies to any additional vessels purchased to patrol Irish sea areas. We must avoid the Homeless conundrum of buying furniture and having no house to put it in.
              Spencer Jetty current being refurbished. 120m approx. West Wall is part of the center island remediation plan which is approx 170m.

The two two planned IPVs (56m) are replacements for the CPVs (65m) you would assume, and according to media reports, they will be based on the East Coast.

Comment

• So some housekeeping needed. Spencer Jetty, with a ship alongside tended to be a Cork in the Bottle. The routine was to ask the coaster there to keep as much to the northern end of the Jetty while the Naval vessel slipped through. Naval ships always, per SOP, went through the entrance on the Flood. You might have to clear Spencer or hang a ship off the Northern end ,while the MRV passes through. These manoeuvres would also have to be done on the flood. IPV's on the East Coast will need at least 130M of Berths for exclusive use.
                Last edited by ancientmariner; 8 April 2021, 13:52.

Comment

• There was a plan to build extra berthage on the northern shore of the Basin area. Not sure if that is still a runner.

Comment

Who is the Marine Consultant Advisor and what staff or organisation does he have to meet the laid out tasks? The Draft document, other than term "MRV" doesn't give a clue that it is a ship that is being built or that it is meant for worldwide travel in most weather conditions. The key matters are tonnage, and sufficient stability from fully loaded to being completely burned out of fuel. The vessel has to be independent in handling it's loaded payloads and amenable to Vertrep and on scene Helicopter operations. The amount and types of loaded cargo must be decided.
                    Why do we need a 'Marine Consultant Advisor' when we have persons already employed in the Naval SErvice who were involved at all stages of development and construction of the recent classes purchased. Sounds like another way on how to put a project back another two years and add another € 10 million to the cost, to then tell us we have to build from scratch , but theres no point as we can't crew it
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      There was a plan to build extra berthage on the northern shore of the Basin area. Not sure if that is still a runner.
                      Not a good idea with the West wall also occupied. It would reduce manouvering room and interfere with the ferry slip and future Drydock.. Maybe!

Comment

Not a good idea with the West wall also occupied. It would reduce manouvering room and interfere with the ferry slip and future Drydock.. Maybe!
                        Just to clarify, this is outside the basin, on the same line as the Oil Wharf,(to allow for depth of water underneath) to the north of the metal building at the basin entrance east side.

Once upon a time there was a picture of the plan, but I can't find it at present. May be in another thread.
                        Sorry I can't make it clearer.
                        Last edited by na grohmiti; 8 April 2021, 14:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

Why do we need a 'Marine Consultant Advisor' when we have persons already employed in the Naval SErvice who were involved at all stages of development and construction of the recent classes purchased. Sounds like another way on how to put a project back another two years and add another € 10 million to the cost, to then tell us we have to build from scratch , but theres no point as we can't crew it
                          Are they still serving?
                          The MRV is also likely to be completely different (P60s are based on P50s which were based on Vard design)

Having said that surely it would be cheaper to leverage navy (as opposed to naval) expertise from NZ, U.K. etc.... but again that depends on NS personnel being available

Comment

• We have used NEVESBU for P31, with assistance from French Navy, and Royal Armourers for the gun and FCS. Those bodies or similar may respond to the RFT for Consultants.

Comment

• https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...road-3009m7xhd

Irish LE T.A. Whitaker anyone ?

personally (and I know it’s unpopular with some) I think that it would be extremely advantageous to ensure that the MRV has the ability to be used on voyages like LE Niamh’s trip to the Far East.

not saying it should spend its time exclusively doing it or doing an annual trip.

but the ability to carry some general cargo & reefer containers (which is advantageous for other roles) and a weatherproof covering for the heli enabled area (assuming it is the flight deck or at least a winching area) will not cost a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...road-3009m7xhd

Irish LE T.A. Whitaker anyone ?

personally (and I know it’s unpopular with some) I think that it would be extremely advantageous to ensure that the MRV has the ability to be used on voyages like LE Niamh’s trip to the Far East.

not saying it should spend its time exclusively doing it or doing an annual trip.

but the ability to carry some general cargo & reefer containers (which is advantageous for other roles) and a weatherproof covering for the heli enabled area (assuming it is the flight deck or at least a winching area) will not cost a lot.
                                Who are you and what have you done with Dev?

Comment

Working...
                                X