X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

Appledore can cater for 110m max.

The MRV is planned for 130m-140m so unless is is built in sections and assembled elsewhere, i'd be surprised if it was built there.

Brexit also an issue, would have to be tendered to EU first i would imagine.

My bet is on the Netherlands firm Damen with the hull built in Romania.
    What might be Damen’s entry?

Comment

• Ok @3085, 3086 & 3087 thanks - not sure what they're alluding to we'll have to wait and see.
      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post

What might be Damen’s entry?
        https://products.damen.com/en/ranges/crossover

Could be a possibility

Comment

The MRV is planned for 130m-140m so unless is is built in sections and assembled elsewhere, i'd be surprised if it was built there.
          HMS Scott was built there in the 90s and is 131m, I take it then they downsized the yard in the following years?
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post

HMS Scott was built there in the 90s and is 131m, I take it then they downsized the yard in the following years?
            She was built diagonally at an angle to allow her fit in.

The MRV will be a substantially more complex project with possibly stern and side loading doors.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post

Off the top of my head I think she was built at an angle in the dock and then had to have all her superstructure added on outside at the fit out berth where our P60's had work done.
              https://www.navylookout.com/wp-conte...-Appledore.jpg

Comment

I'd forgotten about the Crossover design, could certainly be interesting, without having issues with the Graving dock at a quick look...

Comment

• Given the people who own H&W also own Appledore yard now, It would be possible (and practical) to prefabricate some sections in Appledore and mate them with the Main hull in Belfast.
                  Under Babcock, Appledore built sections of both RN aircraft Carriers. The new frigates are also being built in superblocks indoors before being assembled outdoors in Govan. Their mast arrived earlier this week and was fitted today.
                  The ILS Granuaille was also built in 2 shipyards. The Hull was built in Romania, and fitout took place in the Netherlands.
                  The Fitout berth in Appledore is a disgrace. It dries for the majority of the day, and some of the P60s had issues having sat on the mud for so long.

It would help everyone if the ship(s) could be built somewhere that was a tad more convenient to get to than Appledore for the NS team that would be on site during certain stages of the build. There must be at least 100 roundabouts between Appledore and Bristol Airport. Makes cruise control in the hire car pointless....
                  That said there is an absolutely marvellous Italian restaurant in Bideford. Belluno.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Brexit also an issue, would have to be tendered to EU first i would imagine.

My bet is on the Netherlands firm Damen with the hull built in Romania.
                    Brexit wouldn’t have an direct effect

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                      That said there is an absolutely marvellous Italian restaurant in Bideford. Belluno.
                      Knowing this, I can now stop following this threat :D

DeV, are you sure Brexit won't have a direct effect?

What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Brexit wouldn’t have an direct effect
                        There would be a significant cost factor as every article, item, fixture and fitting aboard the ship would be subject to customs duty.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

There would be a significant cost factor as every article, item, fixture and fitting aboard the ship would be subject to customs duty.
                          Not directly, zero duty on the export of the vessel to us (I check Taric) but it would depend on how they go about their imports (IP etc)

Comment

Not directly, zero duty on the export of the vessel to us (I check Taric) but it would depend on how they go about their imports (IP etc)
                            Regardless of import duties, you have a loss of time as well. Which will cost you again

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post

Regardless of import duties, you have a loss of time as well. Which will cost you again
                              Not for the delivery of the ship from U.K. to Ireland

Component parts from EU to U.K. yes

Comment

Not for the delivery of the ship from U.K. to Ireland
                                Why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X